Sign in to follow this  
Robalo

ASR Throwable Satchel

Throwable Satchel 1.2.1

This mod allows a demolition expert (usually engineers and special forces soldiers) to convert a regular satchel into a throwable one and back.

To convert, you must first select it (cycle weapons until the satchel is selected) then use the scroll menu action.

It can then be thrown over a very short range (max 10m) in the way grenades are used.

You can use it to blow stuff up when you can't get there and set it manually,

or like a last-resort AT weapon, for example to throw demo on top of a tank that's on the other side of the wall, or from a roof.

Use your imagination, be creative :) Once you throw it, quickly get away and cover yourself from the blast.

For simplicity, the fuse is very short, preset to burn in 10 seconds and it cannot be adjusted.

The explosive properties are unchanged from a regular satchel.

It is heavily recommended that this addon is installed on all machines in a multiplayer game for fairness and stability.

How to install:

1. Determine which files you need. There are 3 addons:

a. asr_throwablesatchel

b. asr_throwablesatchel_oa

c. asr_throwablesatchel_oa_ace

Use:

a. - for Arma 2

a. + b. - for Operation Arrowhead Standalone or Combined Operations

a. + b. + c. - for Operation Arrowhead Standalone or Combined Operations and the ACE2 mod.

2. Copy the selected .pbo and .pbo.bisign files to a mod (addon folder) and launch the game with that mod loaded. For more information about addon folders please check BIS Wiki here:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Addons#ArmA_2

Big thanks to AlphaSquad members and regulars for testing and feedback.

Download link: Throwable Satchel

Mirrors (thanks!)

Armaholic

Armed Assault.info

CHANGELOG

==================

1.2.1 | 18 OCT 2010

The ACE compatibility addon had to be updated for latest ACE releases which added a new throw muzzle.

Resigned the addons with a new key.

1.2 | 13 SEP 2010

Russian specops can handle explosives (and convert satchels) too.

1.1 | 19 AUG 2010

Reduced the maximum range the satchel can be thrown to about 10 meters (was about 25m in v1.0).

After the conversion, the throwable is automatically selected and ready to be thrown.

Also, after you re-convert a throwable satchel to a standard (placeable) one, the primary weapon is automatically selected.

1.0 | 07 AUG 2010

First release

Enjoy!

Robalo [AS]

Video (shows version 1.0 - latest has a much shorter throwable range)

0bLC1ACNanU

Edited by Robalo_AS
v1.2.1

awesome stuff, been waiting for something like this :D

I think you can throw it too far.

If its a just for fun mod, then its ok, but if its gameplay oriented it just swaps out the normal grenade for the "noob" grenade.

I could understand if you could "throw" it like 1m towards the ground ahead of you, instead of walking point blank into the tank, but with this range you could just as well drop the rifle and just take satchel charges into a urban fight.

Something I've always wanted, particularly to be able to toss one over a wall. Thanks.

Edited by HyperU2

I think you can throw it too far.

If its a just for fun mod, then its ok, but if its gameplay oriented it just swaps out the normal grenade for the "noob" grenade.

Thanks for your feedback. Have you tried it in game ?

I try to make both fun and not too unrealistic. I made it so you can throw it over a wall, this is very important.

Last time I changed it was because someone told me the range was too short.

I might tweak it further depending on feedback.

I use this with ACE and trust me, it's not so fun running around with satchels at all because of the stamina system. Also where I play, usually you grab one if you need it for the mission, two if you have to blow up something big. It is rarely used as a throwable, but very good to have when you need it that way.

I made compatibility addons for Arma2 and OA only because I knew someone would ask for them.

... not too unrealistic. I made it so you can throw it over a wall, this is very important. ...

Satchel charges is supposed to simulate planted explosives.

Like, if you in real life where going to take out a rail road track you wouldnt just throw the satchel down on the rail road tracks even if it was only 1m. So in that sense its pretty unrealistic to throw it that far, even if people complained about it.

As for the over the wall feature... When would you in real life every do such a thing with that kind of explosives???, but go back to ACE 1.3 (Arma 2 no OA. Addonsync with Kellyes Heros A2 server to get it.) and try the grenade mode "throw short" (shift+h or ctrl+h, dont remember). This mode throws a grenade --just-- over a wall and is ONLY useful for that purpose. Might be something similar you are looking for if you dont want to create a "noob tube" weapon. No offense, but lets face gameplay reality.

Edit:

A "forward thrust", like from your chest and forward down at bit and a "just barely over the wall" options wouldnt be overpowered and keep it within some level of realism, I think, but its your mod, dude.

Edited by JojoTheSlayer

Wind yer neck in Jojo. As Robalo has it in the video is perfect.

Don't like it ? DON'T USE IT !

I love it Robalo :)

How about an A2 only ACE version? ;)

I don't have ACE 1.3 since OA came out didn't feel the need to go back ;)

If someone can give me the list of ACE 1.3 throw muzzles I can make another compatibility addon for it.

Satchel charges is supposed to simulate planted explosives.

Like, if you in real life where going to take out a rail road track you wouldnt just throw the satchel down on the rail road tracks even if it was only 1m. So in that sense its pretty unrealistic to throw it that far, even if people complained about it.

As for the over the wall feature... When would you in real life every do such a thing with that kind of explosives???, but go back to ACE 1.3 (Arma 2 no OA. Addonsync with Kellyes Heros A2 server to get it.) and try the grenade mode "throw short" (shift+h or ctrl+h, dont remember). This mode throws a grenade --just-- over a wall and is ONLY useful for that purpose. Might be something similar you are looking for if you dont want to create a "noob tube" weapon. No offense, but lets face gameplay reality.

Of course you wouldn't throw it, but it doesn't mean you would not be able to. How far can you throw 20 pounds ? That's about 9 kg. Here's what a satchel charge looks like: http://www.aollc.biz/pdf/DemoChgM183.pdf

This addon is giving you the ability, it does not force you to use it in dumb ways. But I suppose in a desperate situation, you would throw whatever you got at the enemy. Remember this is also restricted, not everyone can rig the fuse. And then, it's a game feature :)

Edited by Robalo_AS

Well we all know by horror that if something can be used in a bad way, it will be used in a bad way. As a conscripted combat engineer myself (long long time ago :D), I can say that we never treated explosives like this - throwing it. Even if we knew it was stable enough to not detonate, you just didn't do it.

Just watched the video and this looks clever... I think I might be tempted to agree that the range is maybe a little long... but if you're up for allowing this sort of thing in MP with friends then its a small quibble really...

I'm pretty sure we had a lot of fun with an addon like this in the ARMA 1 / early Evolution days...

In fact, another similar addon was the "attachable satchel"... we evolved a radiotower assault technique involving a hijacked bus loaded with attached satchels on a 90 second countdown and a bit of reckless driving thru occupied towns :D - great fun!

Not sure if theres an "attachable" version for A2 ?? - if not, that might be one possible enhancement?

B

I use GTD satchel since it was released (Arma1) and im really happy with an addon like that ( had a few very cool situations where the addon saved my ass :D), and i will surely also try this one.

I dont know why many want that "ultra" realsim stuff. This is still a GAME and Arma has so much stuff that isnt realistic at all, and some of that is like that for a reason.

Imho gameplay is much more important than realism. If we would "play" realistic missions, we would be hangin around in a mission for hours, weeks, month...., doing nothing, bored to death, and than when the action comes u would attack with sheer overpower all enemy positions very well known and revealed, who wants that?

And when we talk about realism, i think its more realistic u would take out an enemy tank,very close to u, by any means necessary just to save ur life....

As some1 already said, if u dont like it - dont use it.

No offense here... just my 2 cents.

peace

*edit

@ Bushlurker - GDT satchel has "attach to" and works for arma2, and theres another satchel addon where u can even handle satchels planted by other players - *edit link was wrong* - *2nd Edit - i shouldnt write when im tired lol - name of the addon is NeoArmageddon's Satchels http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11232

Edited by RunForrest

I cant even get it to work? I am running the addon with sprited machine launcher but I get no options when holding a satchel. can you explain a little more how to use it?

I am running the addon with sprited machine launcher but I get no options when holding a satchel.

Same here.:D

Jump, Monster: Are you trying as an engineer or SF unit ?

Bushlurker: ACE has the option to attach satchels to vehicles. Also check NeoArmageddon's satchel mod.

Edited by Robalo_AS

:don2::pet13:

Edited by seelix

no Ididnt try as a SF or engineer. ill try that.

Edit: Ok tried as both and no dice, tried both stock and beta patches, nothing. Im not quite sure what to do here.

Edit2: ok got it workign not sure how but it works. Very cool man.

Edited by Jump Artist

Updated to version 1.1 - links in first post.

Changes:

Reduced the maximum range the satchel can be thrown to about 10 meters (was about 25m in v1.0).

After the conversion, the throwable is automatically selected and ready to be thrown.

Also, after you re-convert a throwable satchel to a standard (placeable) one, the primary weapon is automatically selected.

Great work!

Now if you could remake the Gimbel's Tossers addon that was made for OFP, so that we can have crowds of A.I. throwing rocks and bottles at us.

Don't know that addon, but there are rocks in the game since Arma2.

class HandGrenade_Stone : ThrowMuzzle {
		magazines[] = {"HandGrenade_Stone"};

For the bottles, it's just a matter of having a bottle model, it can be done :)

And I can add I had thrown a lot of Molotovs cocktails on tanks and hidden units while playing OFP FDF WW2 Mod !

Would it be possible for this to be expanded so that spetznatz/MVD can do this? I tried to use this mod for it but it don't work :(

Would it be possible for this to be expanded so that spetznatz/MVD can do this? I tried to use this mod for it but it don't work :(

It's based on the "candeactivatemines" setting in the config. I don't really see why BIS made all Force Recon units able to handle explosives and the Russian spec ops not. Guess I can make an update to address this.