Sign in to follow this  
meade95

Aimimg deadzone (in options)

Can someone explain to me what this effects under the options section.

Called Aming deadzone, I believe.

I've recently purchased a new mouse and now my aiming abilities have gone to shit. Bought a wireless mouse, logitech, $50, so not a top of the line but not cheap either..... but my control now is all to sh*t.

I've tried tweaking mouse sensetitivty.....but I'm also wondering about aiming deadzone option.

aiming deadzone is how far you can move your weapon (left right up down whatever) untill the camera starts moving along. Deadzone 0 means CoD style aiming

Thanks. I've never had such an issue with FPS/SIMs before, than I'm having right now. It just seems I cannot get a steady bead on a guy once I have them in my sights....constantly "floating" more or less around a person.

What do most have the aiming deadzone set at? More toward zero or the other way??

Also, do others have any issues with wireless mouse and FPS? I've tended to always stick to the non-wireless on my desktop games...

Also, do others have any issues with wireless mouse and FPS? I've tended to always stick to the non-wireless on my desktop games...

I have a Logitech MX620 wireless & I've never had any wireless problems with games.

As far as your aim is concerned if you've been sprinting/running your aim will be off because your soldier needs to recover (take a knee). Or you could have been injured which obviously screws your aim. Also are you holding right mouse to hold your breath/zoom/focus. (Sorry, if I'm stating the obvious but you never know...)

Edited by RomeoSierra

Aiming deadzone has nothing to do with your aim (or how unsteady it may be), it's only the amount that your crosshair will move before the camera follows (thus creating a deadzone for the camera).

Edited by Big Dawg KS

Aiming deadzone has nothing to do with your aim (or how unsteady it may be), it's only the amount that your corsshair will move before the camera follows (thus creating a deadzone for the camera).

Thanks! Appreicate the detailed info -

What about "mouse sensetivity" within control options? Where do most have this set?

Also, what about within Windows, within the mouse controls. Do most have moust enhancing turned "on" or "off". With my other mouse when it was turned on it seemed to be fine...... But I'm starting to believe now with mouse enhancing on with this new mouse / combined with AO it seems almost to sensetive...

Edited by meade95

Aiming deadzone has nothing to do with what you're experiencing. The slight movement is simply your arms not being able to precisely hold the weapon pointed at the same exact spot. You can hold your breath for a short time to aim steadily - default is hold right mouse button. As others said, being injured or tired makes it worse.

I normally use maximum aiming deadzone.

Aiming deadzone has nothing to do with what you're experiencing. The slight movement is simply your arms not being able to precisely hold the weapon pointed at the same exact spot. You can hold your breath for a short time to aim steadily - default is hold right mouse button. As others said, being injured or tired makes it worse.

I normally use maximum aiming deadzone.

Got it - Regarding the deadzone - However, could "mouse sensetivity" be causing the issues here?

At work at the moment, so just brain storming..... Will test multiple ways later today..

It could be.

If you've got a high-dpi mouse (1600+), then you'll want to leave the sensitivitiy high in the logitech panel, but in-game, turn it right down very low indeed. Mine is set 1-2 postions from the minimum.

The reason your aiming has gone to crap is the new mouse. It always happens if you go from a POS mouse to a good gaming one. There's a transitional period where you're not used to the smooth silky goodness a new logitech offers, and your aiming will suffer. Give it a couple of weeks of practice, and your aiming will be much better than it was before.

Turn mouse acceleration off. What it does is that when you move your mouse slowly 3cm, it moves 1cm on the screen. And when you move your mouse fast for 3cm, it moves 5cm on the screen. It can totally screw your aim.

Also turn off enhanced mouse movement. Your aim will be more precise with it off.

Edited by Janat

Reduce mouse smoothness to 1-5%, sensitivity on both axis should be 50-75%. Aiming deadzone is an acquired taste and usually does not exceed 30-35%. Even if you prefer it to be off, leave aiming deadzone at 1-5% for smoother aiming w/ ironsights.

Turn mouse acceleration off. What it does is that when you move your mouse slowly 3cm, it moves 1cm on the screen. And when you move your mouse fast for 3cm, it moves 5cm on the screen. It can totally screw your aim.

Also turn off enhanced mouse movement. Your aim will be more precise with it off.

Please tell me how to turn off mouse acceleration in this game. My mouse feels perfect 1:1 in every other FPS I play except ArmA2. Don't tell me to turn it off in Windows and mouse driver software, cause it's already off.

Basically in the ARMA 2 OA Manual, Aiming deadzone allows your cursor to float on the middle of your screen. Simple enough

Please tell me how to turn off mouse acceleration in this game. My mouse feels perfect 1:1 in every other FPS I play except ArmA2. Don't tell me to turn it off in Windows and mouse driver software, cause it's already off.

I believe you turn off mouse acceleration within your Control Panel / Mouse properties of your computer (not within A2).

I believe you turn off mouse acceleration within your Control Panel / Mouse properties of your computer (not within A2).

Like I said, it's already off in control panel. The game has built-in mouse acceleration that can't be turned off.

I also have problem with aiming, even with high FPS I have some small mouse lag. Weapon starts to move 0.5 second after I move my mouse, likewise when I stop moving my mouse, weapon tend to move 1cm more before it stops. I've had this problem with all Arma titles.

The game has built-in mouse acceleration that can't be turned off.

Yes it can, i guess its in de controls menu. :p

Yes it can, i guess its in de controls menu. :p

It's not there. There's only mouse smoothing.

If you're experiencing excessive sway when aiming it might be simply your stance. Try either crouching or lying down and your aim should steady quite a bit. You'll always get a small amount of sway, but you can minimise it by controling your tiredness, stance, health etc.

Turn mouse acceleration off. What it does is that when you move your mouse slowly 3cm, it moves 1cm on the screen. And when you move your mouse fast for 3cm, it moves 5cm on the screen.
Oh, if only this were available! (Late 80s / early 90s we called this "ballistics".)

Whirl quickly? Large movement ... to snap 90 degrees or so.

Move slowly, as with aiming? Slight movement ... precision.

And in Settings / Controls? Y Reversal, X and Y "Axis" (meaning Sensitivity), and Smoothing.

No such "Acceleration".

p.s. when folk talk about variables in cfg, such as Min Max weapon movement, please specify the file. there's no such in my Arma2.cfg and my ESP has never been very good.,

Edited by Tremblay
p.s. not directed at Janat

It´s the prerendered frames that cause the 'acceleration feeling'.

Set GPU_MaxFramesAhead and GPU_DetectedFramesAhead both to 0 in your ArmA2OA cfg to eliminate lag.

It´s the prerendered frames that cause the 'acceleration feeling'.

Set GPU_MaxFramesAhead and GPU_DetectedFramesAhead both to 0 in your ArmA2OA cfg to eliminate lag.

What I'm seeing isn't lag, precisely.

In his reply to me elsewhere, MadDogX points out that, however fast I move the mouse, my soldier will not move faster than XYZ per moment ... so a long slow move actually covers far more ground.

He sets it out fully in this post from a coupla years ago.

But I still think ballistics could be implemented: fast movement would give us max speed, slow movement would give us very slow i.e. max precision. Ballistics. As though the speed of the mouse movement was setting the sensitivity on the fly.