mikebart

mikebart's Project's

Thats strange Miller, it could be possible that you've downloaded the very first version of the island which didnt actually work, could you try downloading the island again from armaholic?

Sorry mikebart but I dont find a terrain config in mb_veg.

There isnt a terrain config in mb_veg, and the clutter.hpp isnt a requirement for the addon, its just for island makers to use for their terrain configs.

are you getting any sort of error message?

@Darkxess, yeah i'd say theres probably a few too many trees there :), nice island though, i like the plain's broken up with hills design.

Thats strange Miller, it could be possible that you've downloaded the very first version of the island which didnt actually work, could you try downloading the island again from armaholic?

There isnt a terrain config in mb_veg, and the clutter.hpp isnt a requirement for the addon, its just for island makers to use for their terrain configs.

are you getting any sort of error message?

Ah OK. Thx for supporting :)

I have now used the armaholic files and no more crashes. ;)

But now I get this message:

error manathumb.jpg

greetings miller

Ah OK. Thx for supporting :)

I have now used the armaholic files and no more crashes. ;)

But now I get this message:

error manathumb.jpg

greetings miller

Its been mentioned before, and remember the stuff is in beta! He will fix it hopefully on the next update, also with other things etc...

Its nothing major! still the island and stuff work fine! ;)

Its been mentioned before, and remember the stuff is in beta! He will fix it hopefully on the next update, also with other things etc...

Its nothing major! still the island and stuff work fine! ;)

OK, thx Darkxess. Yes, its really a very great island ;)

thx darkxess,

@Miller, Ill be sure to fix that in the next release, thanks for hosting it on ArmA2Base.de

Very nice island, it is really well done and I really do hope you expand on it! I do however have a couple of comments. I tried it out on a few different video settings ( very playable(Low/Medium) - mildly playable(Medium/High) - Unplayable(MAX) ) and I noticed that The small grass/bushes( the name has just gone out of my head ) are semi transparent and you can see other ones "Stalks" through each other. The tree blurring one your larger trees is very well done, however when they start distancing you can still see them 2d very close and the blurring on the distant "2d" texture/model makes the foliage thick whereas on the 3d closest draw lod/s its very clearly see through/has lots of gaps.

I also noticed in a few places there were rocks floating. But in my comments, I am very aware its a beta and I am only trying to improve on the clear quality that is present. As i stated above I really do hope you expand on these further and do a bit more optimization and hopefully more objects in the future :P.

ps. I didn't really notice any fps lag on the settings I play on(low/medium, yes it looks ugly but I have to deal with it :< ) But that could just be me :P

Very nice island, it is really well done and I really do hope you expand on it! I do however have a couple of comments. I tried it out on a few different video settings ( very playable(Low/Medium) - mildly playable(Medium/High) - Unplayable(MAX) )

Thanks, sorry about the poor performance, im working on optimizing it at the moment, im not expecting it to be the fastest terrain out there, but im pretty confident ill get it running much better than it is now.

and I noticed that The small grass/bushes( the name has just gone out of my head ) are semi transparent and you can see other ones "Stalks" through each other.

yes these alpha sorting issues are something i need to address with the tussock, what ill probably end up doing is use the alphablended shader for the more distant lods, like i've done with the trees and use a standard tree shader for the close lod. The blended alphas dont seem to have the sorting problems when they're a bit further away.

The tree blurring one your larger trees is very well done, however when they start distancing you can still see them 2d very close and the blurring on the distant "2d" texture/model makes the foliage thick whereas on the 3d closest draw lod/s its very clearly see through/has lots of gaps.

Thats been bothering me aswell, To fix it I'll have to alter the trees foliage for the 2nd and 3rd lods, and then ill render the 4th lod (2d planes) from the 3rd lod so that you wont notice the transition so much.

thanks for your post Python.au, I really do appreciate the honest criticism and although im aware of most of the issues affecting the island and objects visually like the ones you stated above, having someone bring them up helps me prioritize what needs to be done.

cheers

Hello Mikebart,

do with this publication is the concept arts I am a lot more will follow,the pictures are more or less high.

i will give my best but I've been out a while,for the 3 images I have about two hours needed.I said it's not a well thought-out project Mege rather a directive.

I'll try the following options to include only the concept arts that are possible with visitor3

image 1 from a german village,the landscape is rather flat with slopes beside the road, good for cover.

http://a.imageshack.us/img13/1733/landschaft1.jpg

image 2 is in a field of landscape Germany or France to see me again the small banks which define the fields

http://a.imageshack.us/img824/760/landschaft2.jpg

image 3 shows a dried river bed good for ambushes,when enemy patrol walking through there

http://a.imageshack.us/img815/7493/landschaft3.jpg

all images and showing weren follow German or French landscapes During low of ww2,the landscape that I have taken the eye is more paths with small fields and small banks,busch series and other objects of that time period.

the images.

the pictures are from time to time promised better;)

Stephsen

Thankyou stephsen, :)

these scetches are fantastic! and very useful from a design perspective, ill be sure to test out some of these ideas.

I think ill need a flatter terrain though, with farm feilds to properly test out the dividing mounds and hedgerows as mana island is probably a bit too hilly although the top of the island is reasonably flat, so i might test a few ideas there.

thanks again and please keep them coming :)

hey mike, tried out the map, it's really great! I love the grass, perhaps it may work in certain afganistan maps. do you think you could make it just a little bit darker?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/ISAF_soldier_looking_for_enemy_positions_in_Kunar_Province_of_Afghanistan.jpg

like this.

edit:

actually, I think it's fine, that pic was probably taken late in the day or so.

cheers

Edited by Fox '09

Someone needs to make a map like that.

thanks again stephsen, another beauty!.

It looks like it could be a coast on the right hand side?

@Fox 09, yeah the grass varies alot in different weather and TOD, my satalite image is quite saturated too, so that would be having an effect on it aswell.

Edited by mikebart

oh no but i know it looks a little bit after a coast from,above is a road,hills and is right between the meadow or field.I've forgotten the grass texture my fault :rolleyes:

easter egg ? :D

58cd618c51aat.jpg

btw: very nice island and no lags

Edited by Greez

Thank you for this beautiful island. Amazing how you can make the game look so much better, could not believe Arma2 can be so pretty.

Hey Mikebart any news from the next Upgrade...cant wait to see new holy stuff:o

Woow, I was checking out dev heaven when I stumbled upon this experience of graphical intensity...like a lighting from clean sky. :pray::hyper:

I havent really worked on any new objects or trees, but i've fixed all bugs in the old ones, the z sorting issues with the tussocks are fixed now and I scaled them down a bit. I've been working on the Armory config for the island, im also making a mb_veg_lite addon, so you'll be able to run it if you have performance problems with the origional vegetation.

I've been trying out the Arma2 Tree shaders and the new OA treeAdv shaders, so I've had to make new macro textures for each tree, these make it very easy to adjust colours and change seasons just like how the summer vegetation pack was done by Bushlurker, Homer Johnston and Beton.

Differences between Tree and TreeAdv:

The A2 Tree shader has an _MC map (RGB), which represents the overall colour of the tree and ambient shadow.

The OA TreeAdv shader uses an _MCA (RGBA), the overall colour of the tree is seperated from the ambient shadow. The r,g and b channels are the overall colour while the alpha channel is the ambient shadow, which can be blown out by the sun much like an _AS map and not affect the overall colour. So as a result the TreeAdv shader reacts much better to light sources than the origional A2 tree shader.

Atleast thats how I think it works and how it seemed to work for me, but this isnt the way that BIS implemented the _MCA's in OA. In OA the tree colouring is found in the _CAN and the _MCA's are totally desaturated, im a bit confused about this, it seems a waste. So perhaps im wrong.

The new OA TreeAdv shaders can pretty much create the same effect as the altered vertex normals (soft shaded trees) and seem to be able to maintain that affect over distances unlike the Tree shader for vanilla A2.

Although I havent yet been able to test the treeAdv shader in Arma2oa yet.

Some screens showing the A2 Tree shader, new Tussock, the trees are made to look more late summer.

arma2oa2010082410332223.th.jpg arma2oa2010082323064007.th.jpg arma2oa2010082315151842.th.jpg

im pretty much doing an overhaul of the lods, (again), so there'l be 7 lods instead of 4, also working on a deeper forest version of each tree with Ivy growing up the trunks, ill have to make some fallen decayed versions aswell.

arma2oa2010090413564261.th.jpg arma2oa2010090414124754.th.jpg

Edited by mikebart

Very nice work man, top top work I also hope to see some maps with these in the future, your map aswell ;)