Sign in to follow this  
SPC.Spets

Free view and Aim (infantry only)

for eg. you are aiming in some position that you know there is some enemies hiding, but at the same time you move your head to scan the area because maybe there are more enemies around. suddenly a group of enemies comes from your right side while you are using the free view key, so, you release the Alt key, and your head quickly goes to normal position, and then you have to turn your aim 90º. Wouldnt be more easy to hit some key (maybe a quick RMB) and then your aim goes where you are looking at ready to fire?

pd: sry, I dont know why I do this sugestion, but yesterday, playing the armory in some challenge where you have to hold a position and enemies comes from every direction, I thought it would be very handly

Excellent suggestion. I use freelook toggle all the time and it would be much better if the body and aimpoint reoriented to the direction I'm looking when I toggle off. It'd be a usability improvement and just makes more sense.

I support this. Give us a toggle in the options between:

Snap view to weapon direction (current behavior).

and

Snap weapon to view direction (new behavior).

Or, a button to toggle the behavior.

Nah, thinking more about it the toggling mode just wouldn't work well in practice. How about this?

* When releasing alt (freelook key), view snaps to weapon direction (as today).

* Press a secondary key (i.e. ctrl) while alt key is held, to snap weapon direction to view direction.

Great idea! Reminds me of "align legs with torso" and "align torso with legs" buttons in ye olde MechWarrior games.

I am against this.

Its one key from a aimbot.

Try Track IR or Freetrack. When you do this sort of thing you have to take into account that you have to move your head one (eg right) way and your mouse the opposite (left) to face the enemy while your screen turns as well (left)... and once you get your head looking strait at the screen you have to keep in mind not to move it to much to upset the gun view, or else you will also have to coordinate the slight up,down,left,right motion of your head while you move the gun sights onto the target.

How about using your head instead and keep the gun at the most probable point for enemies and if you see some enemy at another angle gain the skill to move your gun there? You know, skill!

You can already walk slightly sideways to scan left and right anyway.

(Example: Look left with gun, move forward and right at the same time. You scan by switching the view from left to right and swapping the side stepping key. You will then get forward motion with scanning. You can also do this zig zagging if you from time to time let go of the strafing key which will make you harder to hit.)

Edited by JojoTheSlayer

Not aimbot, what are talking about? Its just weird to look around and then when you release the key the camera turns and you have to turn again your aim. Its also like Pulverizer says. Not autoaim, just turn your gun/torso whatever to that direction.

I tried freetrack but it doesnt work very well, and im not going to buy a track ir.

And what you mean whit "you know,skill"? :rolleyes:

I think it might look weird if you are looking at a men doing that (specially when proned), basically his whole body will snap 90 degrees in an other direction when releasing the Alt then.

dont we have this already?

Example press and hold alt while in first person just moves the head when released it snaps back to the position of the gun.

Now look down the sights of the rifle now press and hold the alt key now move your mouse left or right you will see the head and gun move together in a 25 degree angle this works well in some cases it works best for prone and crouch aswell

Edit

Nevermind it still snaps back to centre once alt key is released

Edited by Pauld

Not aimbot, what are talking about? Its just weird to look around and then when you release the key the camera turns and you have to turn again your aim. Its also like Pulverizer says. Not autoaim, just turn your gun/torso whatever to that direction.

I tried freetrack but it doesnt work very well, and im not going to buy a track ir.

And what you mean whit "you know,skill"? :rolleyes:

The track ir and strafing point was to point out that its already really easy to scan without it and be combat effective. That you want a even simpler system, where you look at the enemy and press a button to instant turn to him and left mouse to shoot, is the total opposite of actually taking the time to learn how get any skill in the game.

It totally defeats the point of playing. If you cant even keep your gun pointed at the enemy, but need a freaking key to do so I am not surprised you didnt get the "skill" reference.

Its not like anything is holding you back from turning the mouse the moment you let go of the alt key ether. You dont have to wait, but it would take some training and wont be as easy as pressing the "point gun at enemy" key, which it would become. We really dont need another spam "tab+command fire with missiles before we crash" key setup...

Edited by JojoTheSlayer

For me it's about not loosing track of the target while you get your gun ready. Sounds to me like something you would be able to do in real life.

For me it's about not loosing track of the target while you get your gun ready. Sounds to me like something you would be able to do in real life.

Not in a split second snap movement, imo.

Not in a split second snap movement, imo.

ofc not, but limiting the maximum turn speed would be an option.

I think it might look weird if you are looking at a men doing that (specially when proned), basically his whole body will snap 90 degrees in an other direction when releasing the Alt then.

It doenst have to be automatic, could be an animation, like in real life, when you scan the area but pointing the gun to some direction and you see someting to your side, you move your aim, you dont turn your head to the center and then again your gun. you just keep looking there and you just turn your gun.

and cmon I never said I want an autotargeting system or an instantaneos turn movement. Eg. You move your head, you see something, then you press quickly RMB (aim zoom when you are aiming forward) but in this case with your head looking to the side, it performs a gun movement to that direction canceling the free view Alt key, and then you has to manually aim that target.

Maybe my poor english is not enough to explain exactly what I mean, but, is not that hard to understand, isnt? :confused:

It should be limited to the same speed as determined by the weapons dexterity value. The same that happens when you alt-aim.

It doenst have to be automatic, could be an animation, like in real life, when you scan the area but pointing the gun to some direction and you see someting to your side, you move your aim, you dont turn your head to the center and then again your gun. you just keep looking there and you just turn your gun.

and cmon I never said I want an autotargeting system or an instantaneos turn movement. Eg. You move your head, you see something, then you press quickly RMB (aim zoom when you are aiming forward) but in this case with your head looking to the side, it performs a gun movement to that direction canceling the free view Alt key, and then you has to manually aim that target.

Maybe my poor english is not enough to explain exactly what I mean, but, is not that hard to understand, isnt? :confused:

Hey I get your point, In real life you indeed would keep looking at the target while moving your rifle and torso in the right direction. I am fine with how it currently works though. It indeed like others mentioned might make things a bit to easy then.

Personally when I am proned with a scoped rifle scanning for targets I rarely use free look.

It is a VERY realistic thing to do: In real life if you spotted an enemy you would not look away and then turn towards them, you would damn well keep your eyes on them as you shift your position to face them. Key to keeping it realistic is to make sure that your gun and body swivel around at the proper normal speed and not instantly. You would see your gun moving around and your crosshair would not appear and you would be unable to fire until your gun had fully moved into position--no faster than if you did it the current way, the only difference being your view would stay on the enemy.

Provide both options as key bindings in the commands and let users choose which one they want to bind, or whether they want both.

Edited by Polar Bear

I like the idea a lot. And indeed just limit the speed of the body-turn to the dexterity-value of the weapon. Would make any kind of combat feel more dynamic since you can then walk around with weapon at safe or low ready, scanning the environment, and if you see something quickly raise your weapon to point to where you are looking. Much faster response time. As it is now one basically has to hit cover first, because it takes too long to reaquire the target after releasing free look.

So basically an additional key to do the reverse of keypad 5, I.e. instead of re-centring head to that of the body thus the gun it re-centres the body/gun to the head direction.

It would no doubt require a new set of animation kinematics for when prone, I.e. the character rolling onto its left or right side wile bringing the gun around and the tilting of the head view vertically 90deg to mimic laying on the side (the ground would appear vertically up the screen when done when prone laying on ones side ) after all if it cannot be done properly then it shouldn’t be done at all.