Sign in to follow this  
50.cal

[OA] Helicopter gunner switching mod?

Hi!

I'm looking for a mod that enables the pilot to switch to the gunner seat even if the gunner isn't set as "playable" or just to take control of the weapons and have access to the gunner optic.

I know GTD did something like this but it changed many other things...and it's probably not compatible with OA.

Any idea if such a mod exists for A2 and OA?

Thanks

Thx but I'm not looking for a total conversion mod.

Isn't there a simple .pbo compiled script or something instead?

Edited by 50.cal

its modular, check the readme for the pbo that does that

Excellent! Is it compatible with OA as well?

I think so, if not, it is CO compatible , i know that for sure

Thx Il'll try that.

Edit:

I'm not seeing that feature in the description btw. And as I'm trying it now it doesn't seems to have any options to switch to gunner seat or optic from the pilot seat. Are you sure this works with helicopters too?

Edited by 50.cal

I figured this one out. Here is step by step.

1. Make a crewmember (player) with a rank higher than private. Important...this will be group leader!

2. Make a pilot in your group (playable) but make sure he is less rank than you.

3. Make an EMPTY helicopter. In helicopter init line put the altitude you want the helo to hover at while you are in gunner seat. Use "this flyinheight XXX" where XXX is the altitude in meters. 500 to 1000 works well. No waypoints necessary. Keep in mind that to hover this high and observe targets far away your visibility slider should be pretty high.

4. Make whatever other targets you want in mission and begin.

5. You are default the gunner. Order your pilot to the chopper. Remember you are the leader and outrank him so you control him. Wait, this gets better!

6. Get in gunners seat and order hold fire.

7. VERY IMPORTANT!!! You must order at least one "move to" order on the map to get your pilot to hover at the requested altitude otherwise they will hover really low or land. I just open map and place a "move to" order at the end of the runway or whatever. Your AI pilot will start the helo up and go to that spot and hover at the altitude you want.

8. You switch to your pilot to fly the chopper yourself (recommended becuase you probably dont want to be that high yet) and when you get to the spot you want to be at just point him in the correct direction and switch to the gunner. He will hover on the spot you switched to gunner and climb to the set hover altitude! You can use all the gunner optics and even order the pilot to move to new locations on the map and he will go there and hover at the higher altitude. When you want to fly just switch to pilot and fly!!!

PROBLEMS:

1. While ordering your AI around the map with "move to" orders you cannot control which way he will point when he comes to a stop. If you know the direction you will want to face just use several "move to" orders to line yourself up OR take control of the pilot and do it yourself with a quick kick of the rudder. I wish we could give helo flight instructions from the gunners seat like a vehicle from the commanders seat! You know...Left! Left! Left! Stop!

2. When you switch to pilot to fly or fine tune a direction it is hard to prevent the gunner AI from firing.

FUN FUN FUN!

Edited by Lanzfeld

or if you are in an attack chopper, just switch to manual fire. Much easier

You cannot use the great optics when you switch to manual fire so above is better and not that much work at all. I think the OP was trying to simulate this kind of experience: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyUhNk4BLEk and the step by step I listed above allows this.

Edited by Lanzfeld

This mod looks incredible. Could someone please please please give a detailed step by step on how to install it? Like you are talking to an idiot....because you are.

This mod looks incredible. Could someone please please please give a detailed step by step on how to install it? Like you are talking to an idiot....because you are.

Xld76oIu1xM

1TBVeGI7d38

tutorial@www.armaholic.com