Sign in to follow this  
Navvar

6dof

I for one would love to see 6DOF entering the ArmA franchise, as flying is my favorite thing to do in Arma 2.

There was an addon called Kegety's Armalib for ArmA that allowed 6DOF, whatever happened to it getting into ArmA 2 I have no idea.

I've searched around and I've yet to find a thread about 6DOF on either armaholic or these forums, I made a post about it in the patch 1.53 suggestion thread, but figured I'd make a thread about it.

Is it because it's not possible with the game engine? Is it because it's not desirable? Is it because people don't care? Is it because there are so few of us with TrackIr/Freetrack? It's such a small addition, but adds loads of fun and realism.

It would not necessarily need to be restricted to aircrafts, but the vehicles that benefit from it.

I would love to get some feedback on this.

Just like you do now: By centering your view. TrackIR kind of locks on softly to the center position when you're near it, so it's easy to hold there.

But sure, proper collimated sights would be very welcome too, instead of the crayon-painted sights some jerk draw directly on the HUD glass.

Sure there would have to be some small changes to the game, but nothing gamebreaking or anything that non-headtrack users would notice, but at this point it feels like the pilot's head is on a stick.

I know that ArmA 2 is not a flightsim, but I know of many people who play it mainly for the aerial part, and isn't that what Arma is trying to achieve, a mil-sim with every aspect of war in it except politics?

It would be easier to land a helicopter f.ex. by actually being able to see what's under you in a 50 meter radius without going to 3rd person view.

To take it to the next level, they could add leaning inside vehicles like in VBS to make the body move with the head, which would apply to non-headtrack users with keybinds.

Edited by Navvarone

I agree - hope an ARMA2 6DOF solution comes. To be honest it doesn't just apply to flying but also ground forces - can imagine having to move your head closer to the sights in order to see cross hair and targets.

Well,-BIS did do the right thing by including Freetrack support for Arma2 after we said we wanted it.

And it seems to me that the 'True 6DOF' that we would all like to see (and is available) will -again- only be considered by BIS if enough of us say we want it.(Another petition?)

I think the main problem is that the headtrack users are so scattered, every time someone makes a 6DOF thread it gets bumped down in the matter of hours. There's also a TrackIR 5 thread in the General section where a lot of people have been talking about wanting 6DOF, my guess is that BIS will include it in an expansion pack if at all in ArmA 2, ArmA 3 is probably a more realistic goal.

Then again, who am I to know.

It's not only about TrackIR users, but also for others. Even flightsim which have 6DOF for TrackIR, allows the same movements for others. More awkward to use? Yeah sure, but at least it is possible. Not being able to properly look out the windows of an uparmored HMMWV or MTVR sucks. As alt is freelook, maybe ctrl could be freemove? Currently numpad is permanent freelook. Maybe that should be alt-numpad, and ctrl-numpad be permanent freemove? Alt or ctrl + numpad 5 to reset to default. Default numpad could be reserved for complex command menu, and current complex command normal num keys could be weapon selection?

I have to provide 3rd person view to vehicle drivers (only), but that is a tad too much to my liking. But I feel I have no choice, It's either that or let them be quite blind.

To be fair to BIS, implementing 6DoF isn't purely a matter of increasing in-vehicle movement, it requires remodeling of vehicle interiors. The interiors are most likely modeled to provide full geometric detail from one point only within the vehicle, and if people suddenly started leaning about it would probably reveal all the little holes and exclusions due to that portion of the model never being needed before.

Similar problem in IL2, 6DoF was not implemented officially because of missing geometry in areas not seen from a static viewpoint.

True. I guess we all remember what happened to M113 ambulances when you installed TrueView in Arma1 - whups, where is the rear of the vehicle? :D

And limit axes to be within reason (yaxis[] = {-1.0,0.1}; as an example). I don't want to be able to lean out of the right window while driving.

So, for the next game then :p

To be fair to BIS, implementing 6DoF isn't purely a matter of increasing in-vehicle movement, it requires remodeling of vehicle interiors. The interiors are most likely modeled to provide full geometric detail from one point only within the vehicle, and if people suddenly started leaning about it would probably reveal all the little holes and exclusions due to that portion of the model never being needed before.

Similar problem in IL2, 6DoF was not implemented officially because of missing geometry in areas not seen from a static viewpoint.

sorry for reactivating an older thread, but doesn´t Arma2 already provide full 3D interiors for any vehicles?

sorry for reactivating an older thread, but doesn´t Arma2 already provide full 3D interiors for any vehicles?

not really, tanks for instance don't have modeled interiors.

Silly as this may sound has anyone tried the library in A2 or asked Kegety's if they could open the fire and use bring over the TIR elements?

Edited by NodUnit

I'd like to have leaning available in helicopters at least.

It might not make a huge difference to the visibility but I think it would still help alot and increase immersion.

Edited by EDcase

I'd like to have leaning available in helicopters at least.

It might not make a huge difference to the visibility but I think it would still help alot and increase immersion.

t23qEflD30A

Already got requests from addonmaker to get the system so expect it in upcomin addons.

HELL YEAH!!! :yay:

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin about...

Would be absolutely great to have that in all aircraft :pray:

Myke;1818737']Already got requests from addonmaker to get the system so expect it in upcomin addons.

Looking good :) I'm fed up not being able to see around in-cockpit obstructions when hovering a helo etc.

Silly as this may sound has anyone tried the library in A2 or asked Kegety's if they could open the fire and use bring over the TIR elements?

6DOF is on the JayArmA2Lib todo list, but fairly now on priority at the moment.

Keg is MIA as far as we can tell. :(

its a shame bis has not fully implemented 6dof for planes and helis already.

landing heli in 1st person is shit atm.

Keg is MIA as far as we can tell. :(

Dont think so, he answered in the Steam thread. From history I know that Kegetys dont hang around to chat and talk shit, but when he appears the masses listen :p

Kegetys dont hang around to chat and talk shit,

We need more like him.