Sign in to follow this  
callihn

How do you light a new powerline pole?

How do you light a new pole you placed in the map?

Create a light object then attach it? Dunno - just guessing.

Edited by Cougs

powerlineL and with the mission editor.

try this >> lightIsOn

I've tried that and switchLight but neither has an example for a new pole only existing poles.

powerlineL and with the mission editor.

powerlineL is not a valid object, at least not in Operation Arrowhead. What Editor section (ie, Empty -> Objects) did you find this under and what mods are you running?

You'll need the map_eu editor update. It's MAP_PowLines_WoodL. Sorry about the confusion.

Edited by callihn

You'll need the map_eu editor update. It's MAP_PowLines_WoodL. Sorry about the confusion.

Are you sure it has a light on it? I don't have the editor update but PowLines makes me think that it is a telephone like pole and not a light/lamp post.

I've tried that and switchLight but neither has an example for a new pole only existing poles.

Working examples for switchLight can be found here.

I havent used switchLight since the ofp days, but if you are refering to an editor placed object I assume that the code would be something like...

my_lamppost switchLight "on"

You must name the editor placed object first.

Out of interest is the 'Illuminat tower' a lightable object? I cant figure out where ever im putting the code in wrongly or if its just not a lightable object.

If I'm not mistaken, editor upgrade objects are partially not functional. Check out the editor upgrade thread, I remember something along these lines has been stated there.

Out of interest is the 'Illuminat tower' a lightable object? I cant figure out where ever im putting the code in wrongly or if its just not a lightable object.

Your not able to light the tower directly, you can fake it by placing invisible searchlights or place this in the towers init.

light = "#lightpoint" createVehicleLocal position this; light setLightBrightness 0.9; light setLightAmbient[0.0, 0.0, 0.0]; light setLightColor[1.0, 1.0, 1.0]; light lightAttachObject [this, [0,0,30]]

Search for illuminant tower and be disappointed. :)

Your not able to light the tower directly, you can fake it by placing invisible searchlights or place this in the towers init.

light = "#lightpoint" createVehicleLocal position this; light setLightBrightness 0.9; light setLightAmbient[0.0, 0.0, 0.0]; light setLightColor[1.0, 1.0, 1.0]; light lightAttachObject [this, [0,0,30]]

Wow another brilliant fix thanks. Say I wanted the light to light up a smaller area do I just turn down the brightness?

yes you can try that, it may not be perfect though.

Check my Arrowhead houselights thread for 'atmosphere' lighting.

Speaking of towers and lights... I cannot get the blinking light on the look-out mast to turn off! (A blinking light on a LOOK-OUT MAST? What were they thinking?)

Help would be appreciated.

Also, when a manned search light is placed, how do you make it 'search'?

Edited by CyOp

Speaking of towers and lights... I cannot get the blinking light on the look-out mast to turn off! (A blinking light on a LOOK-OUT MAST? What were they thinking?)

It's a safety feature! You wouldn't want enemy planes crashing into your lookout tower accidentally, now would you? :p

There are a dozen threads on making search lights sweep.

There are a dozen threads on making search lights sweep.

Sorry, I just happened to be doing all at the same time and threw it in there. Also, I did not search for 'scripts or 'sweep', and I tried to find out how by using the BIS SP scenario, but no joy. Anywho... . I just want something simple to put in the init box. I guess there is nothing.

EDIT:

Ya know, Cougs, I was not going to 'say anything' but the more I thought about it...

My post earlier led off with me asking about what was on topic. I then came back and edited to ask about the search light, because I could not find anything I could get to work, including some scripts, and I could not pull anything out of the BIS SP scenario. At least I asked in an existing thread, instead of making a whole new thread, like you did. Sheeesh. And you chastise me. Funny.

(I knew something was 'funny' when I saw your name. I had to go back and look for the thread you had started, though, to be sure.)

Edited by CyOp

Ih the time it took you to post that and then edit it and then check you could have found this

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1526545&postcount=1

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1379559&postcount=1

Edit: and although I asked about on/off and not left/right, another useful post here.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1707414&postcount=7

Edited by Cougs

Ih the time it took you to post that and then edit it and then check you could have found this

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1526545&postcount=1

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1379559&postcount=1

Edit: and although I asked about on/off and not left/right, another useful post here.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1707414&postcount=7

No, if I could have found those threads, I would have. Somehow I missed them. *(EDIT: The first two links.)

Maybe you missed 'something', too? You start two threads in two days about lights, but I cannot even come in an existing thread and ask about lights without you chastising me about searching. Did you search? Well, so did I.

And, in your previous post, you could have been helpful, but you chose not to be. Consequently, your post lacked content. Since you are so concerned about the rules, maybe you should read them. I believe there is something about posting content.

Annnd, there are a few people talking about certain ways to get rid of the lights, like deleting animations in configs and such, but stuff like that is beyond me.

Well, at least now you are trying to help. - And that last link, I could not get that to work. I tried. It looked simple enough, so I wanted to use it.

EDIT: *

Edited by CyOp