Sign in to follow this  
OneBadMother

A few questions about ArmA 2 and OA

I did a search couldn't turn up too much on all of my questions, so thought I'd post here. I bought the original OFP when it came out way back when and still love how people still release mods for it and everything. I played ArmA and was sorely disappointed. A lot of the hard parts were done very well, like overall coding, but some small things absolutely ruined it for me. The float in the aiming was a terrible idea, and even when I took aim float all the way down, it was still somewhat floaty and made it difficult to aim (harder than it is in real life). After lying prone and struggling to draw a bead on guys who were close up, I started to get very frustrated. The friendly AI was basically useless, and the enemy AI was way too good. I had my difficulty cranked way down, and when I did an ambush mission hiding in a bunch of trees and set off some charges to initiate the ambush, somewhow the enemy AI was able to tell exactly where I was although I hadn't fired a single shot and then nail a 1st shot headshot through 100-200m of forest with an AK while moving. This happened several times, and I finally just gave up.

Anyway, all complaints aside, I bought OFP Dragon Rising and love the overall interface and game design. The streamlined command interface is great. I also love the locational damage, blood loss, and incapacitation. I just saw where the company has already decided to stop supporting the game, and multiplayer is almost non existant, so I'm thinking of buying ArmA 2 CO (which is ArmA 2 and ArmA 2 OA if I'm not mistaken?). I already noticed that ArmA 2 seems to have an awesome modding community and more people playing multiplayer, which is good.

I have a few questions about ArmA 2 before I get it though. How is the aiming relative to ArmA? I saw the demo for a few minutes on a friend's computer and noticed that it had a lot of motion blur, too much in fact. I like the kinetic/dynamic feel that is in a lot of modern FPS's with motion blur and shaking camera, but in the demo I played, every time I turned a few degrees, my screen blurred like my guy was on crack. Is there a way to remove the motion blur or at least get it to a reasonable level? I've heard there are AI problems, but every review for every game will mention some sort of AI problems. How is the friendly and enemy AI? Do the enemies still nail impossible head shots and seem to have super ESP/X-Ray vision when it comes to finding you? Also is looked like buildings were destroyable. How does it work and how well does it work? It didn't look like they were physics enabled like BFBC2. Am I correct in assuming that the multiplayer doesn't have the lag and connection issues that OFP DR has? Do the massive RTS/FPS battles work pretty well (this aspect of the game really interests me)?

Thank you for your help!

Is there a way to remove the motion blur or at least get it to a reasonable level?

Yes, it is an option in the video panel

How is the friendly and enemy AI?

Best unscripted AI i ever played with/against

Do the enemies still nail impossible head shots

depends on your difficulty level

and seem to have super ESP/X-Ray vision when it comes to finding you?

It also depends on difficulty level, but if you are static hidden in a bush, you can easily remain undetected.

Also is looked like buildings were destroyable. How does it work and how well does it work?

There a are a few stages if destruction on some building models, before a total collapse.

Am I correct in assuming that the multiplayer doesn't have the lag and connection issues that OFP DR has?

This game being more than a console port, it does has dedicated servers. Most if not all of those servers are on 100Mbit line, so there is a different quality for the latency and disconnects for A2.

Do the massive RTS/FPS battles work pretty well (this aspect of the game really interests me)?

The game comes with a CTI gamemod, which is a mix between RTS and FPS, featuring both humans and AI fighting over terrain, money, etc.

It is the most played gamemod in this community, on the PvP/TvT side of things

Thank you for your help!

no worries

Is there a way to remove the motion blur or at least get it to a reasonable level?

- of course, it's under Video Options.

I've heard there are AI problems, but every review for every game will mention some sort of AI problems. How is the friendly and enemy AI?

- It's much better and they use cover to a tremedous effect now. It's not human level and will never be, so set your expectations to a reasonable level. Fighting AI is challenging and exciting at time, but players are always a much more difficult foe.

Do the enemies still nail impossible head shots and seem to have super ESP/X-Ray vision when it comes to finding you?

- No, it might seem like that, but they don't.

Also is looked like buildings were destroyable. How does it work and how well does it work? It didn't look like they were physics enabled like BFBC2.

- It's quite fun being able to destroy buildings. Sometimes you'll run into a glitch where someone inside isn't dead but you needed it dead, but that's minor. There's not really physics, just present 'good' and 'destroyed' models.

Am I correct in assuming that the multiplayer doesn't have the lag and connection issues that OFP DR has?

- Everything dealing with the internet will have lag and connection issues, but there's no game specific issues that I've seen.

Do the massive RTS/FPS battles work pretty well (this aspect of the game really interests me)?

- RTS? Erm? Never used the High Command module so no idea. Generally "massive" and ArmA never mix since the people trying to do that don't have PCs that can handle it. If you got a super machine, go nuts. Otherwise don't get crazy.