Sign in to follow this  
meade95

Best way to "clear house" AI?

It would be nice if there was a "clear house / structure" option/orders for AI teammates - Where they would enter a house / structure together (a la, somewhat the old R6/RVS method). As is now, they sort of enter haphazardly.....

Even if there was some type of "Stay tight to me" order....so when clearing a building your guys would stay RIGHT with you...not several seconds behind where in CQC it is all over by then...

Another question, why does oftenly, one of my AI soldiers stay standing, even though orders of "danger" are given. The rest of us three stay low.....yet typically I find one man standing always (always the same person within our unit)....

I don't think "danger" guarantees a prone position, only an awareness. There is however a "stay prone/down" command that should work.

If only it worked much like SWAT 3 & 4 entering doorways/buildings

Is there any RUMINT that inside CCQ is looking to be addressed in the next patch?

Get distance and call CAS, a gbu should manage the problem... (just a joke)

You can give stance orders after select a unit and press 7

When in doubt, call in artillery. Civilians? Ah well. I just get on with CQC and hope that my AI allies are close enough to help. It normally goes ok.

greneades are your friends in cqb

Not really true. I killed myself several times trying to clear rooms despite floors and walls being in between me and my grenades. I am fairly sure the walls were concrete or something too as well.

Another question, why does oftenly, one of my AI soldiers stay standing, even though orders of "danger" are given. The rest of us three stay low.....yet typically I find one man standing always (always the same person within our unit)....

NJP him. That'll fix the problem. :p

In all seriousness, just get some armour or air support to level the building. You'll save the lives of the men in your squad.

I mostly use GL and handgrenades. Took just a couple of seconds to clear the airfield tower in the first campaign mission, without entering. Otherwise lean and slicing the pie, which is awkward, since A2 is devoid of anything resembling fluid motion. Add low fps and a good chance of getting stuck somewhere, and you have the receipe for failure. I do not bother taking Team AI inside, they tend to just get in the way and react too slow.

I mostly use GL and handgrenades. Took just a couple of seconds to clear the airfield tower in the first campaign mission, without entering. Otherwise lean and slicing the pie, which is awkward, since A2 is devoid of anything resembling fluid motion. Add low fps and a good chance of getting stuck somewhere, and you have the receipe for failure. I do not bother taking Team AI inside, they tend to just get in the way and react too slow.

That is basically how I go about it now -

Lets hope BIS sloves this issue in an udpated patch - Or at least addresses it, somewhat. Finding a way to make AI teammates more useful in CCQ would be huge for ARAM2/AO....

CQB has been talked about several times. It has always been clumsy and clunky.

• Grenades, often not safe. Having a trebuchet for an arm is far from controllable. Not to mention the grenade physics, might end up stuck in some object nearby or bouncing in the completely wrong direction.
  • Collision detection. If you've play often, then you know that sometimes even getting through a door can take two attempts, let alone manoeuvring through a building. With practice you get better, but nothing feels "natural" in the slightest about it. Lowering your weapon can improve movement, but in CQB lowering your weapon is almost the last thing you want to do. Your team mates are also objects, which only complicate the puzzle, you cannot push them either.
  • No active cover system (peering around walls/blind firing). Yes, you might be thinking of plenty of arcade games right now, but throwing grenades round a corner of a wall and blind firing are infact real "tactics" (it is only natural for one to choose to be less exposed to incoming gunfire), which do happen. The leaning system is tedious and takes a lot of mastering. Leaning left to fire is almost useless - often your muzzle is still behind the wall. You have to be very precise when guessing if you're close enough to the edge of a corner to lean around; either you step too far or not enough in most cases, then adjusting yourself sideways by pressing D or A is far from fine, not fluid and very rigid.
  • Lack of perspective and situational awareness. While AI might sometimes already have your position pinpointed then you are at a disadvantage, the same goes for opposing AI. AI also can get their priorities mixed up, sometimes targeting units which are of less threat. As a player you are unable to use 3rd person and even with a custom FOV it can be hard to notice. The AI itself would require some kind of pre-defined or scripted path to clear houses, preventing tunnel vision, covering blind-spots and making engagement #1 prority (Not running to point X and then turning to fire, while unit B is sitting at point Y where unit A fails everytime).

As a player and for the AI, mainly all the above points meet the demands that are needed for a good simulation at range. The game just doesn't function at a pace that is fast enough and missing stuff to simulate CQB.

I just don't think the AI is programmed so well for indoor combat. Yes, they are enable to manoeuvre throughout a building etc, but these points often spoil their them.

• Pinpointing targets behind walls
  • Going prone
  • Stopping and standing in a middle of a room

Clearing houses can be done, but the AI skills themselves vary from extremely lethal to totally rubbish.

Why was R6/RVS able to do it so much better? Where your AI teammates really could be part of a room clearling solution....

Having a trebuchet for an arm is far from controllable.

:D How far do we throw? 100-120 meters? A bit over the top I think.

You have to be very precise when guessing if you're close enough to the edge of a corner to lean around;

Go into ironsight, lean, then keep tapping sidestep key until you see the target. Works for me.

)rStrangelove;1707246']Go into ironsight' date=' lean, then keep tapping sidestep key until you see the target. Works for me.[/quote']

This is my method too...... However, the need for AI -teammates to be able to likewise clear buildings is definitely needed -

This is my method too...... However, the need for AI -teammates to be able to likewise clear buildings is definitely needed -

Agreed! I should be able to give orders to "stack up", then have them execute the breach and enter appropriately. If I could also fall in with them, that would be even better!

This has always been one of the main downsides to ArmA...

L8r,

EEM

The AI is pretty bad in CQB, BIS really need to rethink how the AI works when under 20-30 meters from the enemy. A "stack up" command would be really helpful, I can't recall the ammount of times ive just wanted the AI to line up behind me. Whethers its a stealth mission, CQB, or just running about in battle near buildings.

Collision detection. If you've play often, then you know that sometimes even getting through a door can take two attempts, let alone manoeuvring through a building.

This is the big problem.

You don't even need to play often. The FIRST time I played Arma 2, when I was playing the "basic training" mission where you go to clear out the village, I saw the lighthouse in the distance and I thought, "Aha! I'll go snipe from up there."

Everything was smooth and fun until I got to the lighthouse. Couldn't get in the door. Couldn't position myself properly in front of the ladder to climb up. Could not dart in and out of the doorway once up there to use it as cover while jumping out to snipe at the AI. Frustrating. Frustrating. Frustrating.

You should be able to strafe in and out of a door easily, you shouldn't even really have to think much about it.

You should also never have to try and position yourself at odd angles trying to find just the right one to make the "climb up ladder" option appear.