What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

SOB that's horrible! That happened to me once with 3d models I worked on. I know that feeling, it sucks hard!

That sounds horrible man!

One thing you could try is to swap the harddrive's platter(s) into an other harddrive (which probably should be the exact same drive). It at least won't cost you €2000.

Good luck!

EDIT: Yeah, I just registered to post here! :o

Edited by Pvt. Lucky

Well this must be hard lesson!

The hard drive on your computer will only crash when it contains vital information that has not been backed up.
Somehow I can't believe you never thought about making backups of your work on other disks eg HDD/CD/DVD/etc? Eight years of soundwork are just gone by not securing data and just believing that your HDD will work forever? :yin-yang:

No, even last month I thought: Hey, you should buy a new HDD just to be save, this one wont work forever.... so... I know, my own damn fault...

It's very important to back things up onto multiple locations (be a remote FTP server or another hard drive).

So sorry to hear so much of your hard work is gone.

I hope knowing that what you've released so far is enjoyed by so many is some consolation to you.

Good luck and I hope a setback like this doesn't end your enjoyment in providing content to this community, but having said that I could understand being so distraught and upset that working on addons is the last thing you want to do.

So thank you so much for what you've given us!

Before you write the drive off, look into alternative methods of data recovery - I heard freezing them, then connecting them to the computer again while frozen can work, but not for long. Might be long enough to pull your sound work off.

At least the lion's share of your work on JSRS is spread all over the world and in cyberspace.

Sorry to hear that LordJarhead, iv seen this done by some techs there is an program out that you can hook up your old hard drive to an new one and get some data off it still in most case almost all of it, like when people do an system clean there are still files on there. Thats why its and good thing to destroy your hard drive then to give it to some one or recycle it to an company. Look at some programs out there im sure the good ones are not free but should not be that much as an tech would charge. Military use these companys to destroy the hard drives for them and its there programs to get it back or its just take an hammer to it.

"... has completed and you are ready to copy the recovered files over to the "good drive", you need to purchase a license code if you have not already done so..." Haha, first thing I was looking for!

A friend of mine was coming around, he's an expert of HDD's and so on and he has professional programs to safe data from broken HDD's. He was telling me, that he can save honestly 75% of the data, but the f**k part is, that the other 25% nearly all JSRS and sound database stuff is... damn....

We're running an analytic now to see, if we can maybe restore the Sound database part... the rest, like music, videos or movies are not important!

So I keep you tuned about this problem!

Jarhead

So sorry to hear about this, I've had this happen before and it's awful. Hopefully your friend can help you recover some stuff.

Don't give up LJ!

We love your work,and i really hope you will be able to recover lots of useful data.

Oh lordy! How many Arma players hearts sunk when you saw bad news written in bold and in red after checking this forum EVERYDAY!

Good luck sir...for all of our sakes!

Ok, so it looks like:

We could save all the (or at least the most) private pictures! Music was also able to save for the most part, but I have not done that! I can get it on other ways again!

But the catastrophic informative: J.S.R.S. could only saved up to 5%. The Sound File Database are all gone! All 250,000! The folder structure was able to be represented, but all folders are empty. Each WAV file or WSS was broken and could not be saved.

Luckily I was able to save the revised CFG's (the reworked onfigs)! So I'm not quite there with empty hands. Although the WAV / WSS are gone, but I can rebuild the database again (veeeeeeeeeeeeery slowly).

J.S.R.S. will not perish! I will not stop!

So do not worry, it will indeed take some time before I can re-enter employments in that, but I'll be back with JSRS!

For now I have to procure all the games again! I saved about 15% of the database on DVD's. Then I have to get me a new hard drive (or best three of them) and begin slowly but surely, to reconstruct each file of the Database.

LUCKILY I had the great inspiration to publish the OlderButLoved with which I could save a small part. The bitter side is, of course, that I had two or three more Mods already nearly finished ...

It will be difficult to get back to the old status! Cause of loosing much of high quality sounds! So, welcome to the stone age!

Im sry, but I guess I cannot really publish the last final version of J.S.R.S. soon... not only because of loosing some new stuff, most important I totally loose the overview and do not know where to start. I even do not know what issues are still there, what is left to fixed, and so on...

So I must regret to inform you that J.S.R.S. - Further~Advance stop with this! I will as soon as I'm competitive again, publish a complete edition. Completely free from the existing errors! Just a finished soundmod without DLC and patch's rubbish!

So, it will take some time, but I guess I can work on J.S.R.S again in some month! A long, shit, waiting, searching, working and relentless time will follow now! Haha, might say: Now you could pay a little attention to Anders SM and RWS and look around for alternatives! I know it's silly, but it will cost some time! But J.S.R.S. will be back! (At least with Arma3^^)

Thank you for your understanding, your help and support! And that you believe in this mod....

In honor and respect to YOU!

Jarhead

Edited by LordJarhead