What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

Does anyone else have problems hearing another players gun fire....

I can hear full auto fire.. but semi auto is a no go...??

The only way to describe it is as if the semi auto fire sounds dont exist.. i hear the impact of the bullet.. and the click when they hit the end of the magazine.. but i cannot hear the actual fire of the bullet... Only in Full Automatic...

This is only a problem in Multiplayer.. I just cannot hear other players gunshot when they use Semi-Auto... I cannot hear the Stinger being Launched ... only th WOOSH of the missle in the air... And a couple other weapons do the same thing...

Ill work on narrowing it down but I tested it with ONLY ACE running and I get the issue .. I dont play arma with out ace .. just not the same but ill try with out ace and see if i still have a problem .. but I know it exists.. please don't discount it because i cannot Proove it .. If i have to ill post up some video..

Sound Samples set to 128?

Correct CBA version?

yup Tonic, 128 since I bought the game and CBA_CO since the latest fix...

When I originally noticed the problem I had removed the "movement_c.pbo" to remove the looping wounding sounds.. I thought that was the problem .. so I put the file back in, didn't help. So then I just deleted the whole thing and re downloaded it from SIXupdater.

I have BAF PMC AND ACR DL content .. so I also downloaded the jsrs_ACR, with jsrs, and jsrs_ACE.. I launch them in the order of jsrs, jsrs_acr, jsrs_ace. After re downloading I still had the problem so I figured I would post it, and continue to trouble shoot..

Edited by Lordprimate

yup Tonic, 128 since I bought the game and CBA_CO since the latest fix...

When I originally noticed the problem I had removed the "movement_c.pbo" to remove the looping wounding sounds.. I thought that was the problem .. so I put the file back in, didn't help. So then I just deleted the whole thing and re downloaded it from SIXupdater.

I have BAF PMC AND ACR DL content .. so I also downloaded the jsrs_ACR, with jsrs, and jsrs_ACE.. I launch them in the order of jsrs, jsrs_acr, jsrs_ace. After re downloading I still had the problem so I figured I would post it, and continue to trouble shoot..

Hey,

so the problem is, that you cant hear the other player shooting their guns, right?

This can have multiple reasons. Do you run any Beta patch? You run on Steam? You run ArmA as CO (ArmA2+ArmA OA Combined, not seperated)? You use a mod launcher? Do you use any other mods beside ACE and JSRS? Did you tried different servers or do you run on a "home server" where you play recently on?

LJ

Hey,

so the problem is, that you cant hear the other player shooting their guns, right?

This can have multiple reasons. Do you run any Beta patch? You run on Steam? You run ArmA as CO (ArmA2+ArmA OA Combined, not seperated)? You use a mod launcher? Do you use any other mods beside ACE and JSRS? Did you tried different servers or do you run on a "home server" where you play recently on?

LJ

And most crucial of all, what is your inside leg measurement? :)

Anyone else doesn't hear shoulder rockets and missiles launches right next to him?

Anyone else doesn't hear shoulder rockets and missiles launches right next to him?

I had this error sometimes. You using any beta patch ?

LJ

Hi guys, so now I use ACE and ACE_SM (and latest OA beta patch) and want to replace the whole sound system of Arma II with JSRS.

a) I won't load ACE_SM then, right?

b) I will have to download and use both: JSRS and JSRS for ACE?

c) I have the ACR-dlc: so I'll have to use the JSRS for ACR as well?

TIA :)

I had this error sometimes. You using any beta patch ?

LJ

Yes, I do. The latest.

Yes, I do. The latest.

We got multiple errors lately by using the beta patches. I cant say why that is but I think that some functions by JSRS are not working anymore because of that latest betas...

Will have to take a look later on ... or we wait for 1.63 before changing anything now.

LJ

I actually had that problem playing Project Reality (no JSRS) earlier. So it might be a beta error.

Hi LJ! :)

Thank you for all you do and have done, for the com!

For your eyes only...;)

http://www.arma2base.de/include.php?path=forumsthread&threadid=1768&entries=0#post13663

I would like to give something back, thank you very much once again.

Keep it up!

McLupo

Hello dear friend!

It was a long time, didn't heard from you since... well, ages I guess. I hope you are better now and be there more often now, some have really really missed you!

Thanks for this beautiful overview of my work, I really hope you can enjoy it mate.

Hope to catch you more often now ;)

Bye,

LJ

PS:

Any words on the A3 Alpha and its sounds? What do you think about them guys?

Edited by LordJarhead

Well the Alpha Sounds are the best BIS Vanilla Sounds they ever made. The Weapons sound OK. BUT distant firefights still suck in comparison to JSRS.

I agree. Compared to past vanilla sounds they are of good quality. But they still don't even come close to yours. I am very hopeful that you will continue JSRS into A3.

I think, the new possibilities they have are wonderful. Stereo sounds, thats a whole new level they (and I) can work on. I could (I dont know, I would try at least^^) provide intense sounds, hard reverbs, long trailoffs, echo's and much more. There could be a popular FPS shooter like surrounding created with the new filters they have and the way the engine is delivering the sounds. The new way of playing the sounds not randomly but one after another down the beingsX list is a really nice idea. Also that the one sound played will not stop when a new one will be played is pretty sexy and provides the nice immersion of real echoes. Still I dont know why BIS is not using it here and there.

The echoes are ok but not really noticeable, the weapon sounds are great, no question about that, but lack on character. Its just "bang" with a short echo after that. Some others are pretty awesome, and well, its still an Alpha and a lot of things will be changed I guess.

I for myself couldn't just sit there and listen to one or two sounds and asked a friend to test a sound for me with the EBR Rifle. I created a sound from my old M14 sounds here in JSRS 1.5, I kinda tweaked them, raised the bass a little and was totally focusing on the new stereo "feature"! That is MY result on the new engine:

http://mirror.24th-platoon.de/EBR.mp3

I know its kinda strange here and there, but this is just to show a bit, what could be possible with the new stereo sounds in ArmA 3. I wish I would had such an opportunity in ArmA 2 tbh... imagine what JSRS would have sounded like...

LJ

Hey,

LJ

Thanks for the reply! and to answer, in order.

yes LJ, I cannot hear other Players "Semi-Auto" fire.. I can hear All other forms of gunfire(not many people use sidearms around me .. so i cannot comment about pistol use and hearing that ....) I also cannot hear the launch of the stinger.. only the Woosh of the rocket in the air, and the impact, and resulting explosion.

Yes I always run the beta.. Mostly because some mods and AI enhancements now require the beta so I just keep it up to date.. I will have to run with out.

I have downloaded the game from steam but I use .cmd files to launch the game, from the A2 OA folder.

I always run as CO. Not often do I go back to just A2 or OA.

I do not use a mod launcher, using the .cmd files I just have different ones for different mods.. I44, Pacific, VTE, etc.. I have one that is just ACE, one that is for SinglePlayerUse, and so on.

Oh yes I use a ton of mods, however, I have a .cmd that runs only ACE and JSRS and had the issue (however, again I was running the Beta)...

I have the problem with not hearing Semi Auto fire from Player weapons on Any server.. A server created on my 6 core.. a Dedi server for another clan .. Any server where there are other People playing.

I have been playing Arma 3 alfa since its release and I have to admit .. not 5 minutes into game play and I was missing JSRS 1.5... PLease Please port it over!!!! PLEASE

JSRS 1.5, I kinda tweaked them, raised the bass a little and was totally focusing on the new stereo "feature"! That is MY result on the new engine:

http://mirror.24th-platoon.de/EBR.mp3

Thats just... i mean... just wow.

Amazing.

Cannot wait for JSRS for Arma 3. Hope the sounds will be brutal, so it really makes you keep your head down when under fire.

Weiter so Jarhead ;)

Edited by cheeseburger

Hi LJ:)

I agree totally with Tonic87; the vanilla sounds, in ArmA3, are much better....but, as i wrote every time in my reviews to the other sound mods:

Loudness dominates the whole backdrop of sound, no clear defined samples, as you do... so:

Roll up one's sleeves and get to work my dear friend!...lol...a lot to do!

I will follow you as always!:cool:

Cheers

McLupo

Btw: Awesome sample...

Edited by McLupo
orthography

I think Bi have done a good job with Alpha (I can only reference full videos) :

tXjP92C51N8

^^ played awfully (they must play BF3 alot and seem to have all loaded the game for the first time without setting controls for even more comedy) & very funny to watch (off topic) but it shows full battles later in the video with cannon fire, tracer incoming rounds.

I would say that things I dont like already is clay/gravel foot step audio (sounds like a flip flop on tiled floor). Lovely ambient wind/spacial atmos & stereo use (finally!) but still not enough detail with birds & insects. Again its all Alpha right now.

I dont have massive faith in BI to make anything a mod can do as they simply dont have the resource and time to focus as much as a mod nerd can (sorry jarhead but all us audiophiles are nerds :) ).

But I agree the use for stereo even in guns in itself is a large push ahead, I like spacial awareness and stereo for me is the biggest thing to have, it simply opens up your immersion as the audio then fits the virtual space you sit in so much more. I have asked in A2 Q&A and some A3 Q&A ALWAYS, the introduction on BI to put sounds filters & dynamic param EQ into the sound engine, but not sure if that got implemented unless someone ripped it open to see.

Anyway, that asside as its kind of O.T Jarhead I hope you do start to kick around with config testing in 3 through the A/B stage of 3. For me to have 3 released at a much more solid state than any previous sim knowing that JSRS is sat with it our of the box time wise, that would make it more palatable for me to jack up my rig and test.

BTW, I know its early days but in the Alpha mods discussion have you though of starting a soundmods/JSRS section where we can talk about this more open? Just a thought.

<- THIS LONG TEXT

I know that they have some nice filter techniques in A3 finally. Still need to figure out what does what. But overall those could work out just fine to get some decent results of the sounds. Also CBA has been ported, which means that my scripts will work in A3 as well, means to bring in new distanced sounds again. As some see the downside of loosing performance while using that, I can say already: The new engine is much more capable about handling sound files since they use Stereo sound files now, even on higher distances (playing a stereo sound and make it sound located on a certain area needs more performance then using mono files) and since my distance sounds will be mono but can also be affected by the new filters, there shouldn't much lack of performance using that old technique.

Sadly I cant find much time lately, plus I still don't have the Alpha my self. This is not about me buying a game. Its just that I can't find the time to work on this right now... not at all. Also money is always a tough topic on my end and I really have to count the coins in the end of the month before spending money on "luxury needs" ;)

Don't know if you want to open a soundthread in A3 section, but it would be far to early for JSRS anyways. I mean, the game is not even done yet, I have no idea what would come on me. The alpha is a further develop in the move and there might be things changing a lot. That makes my work even harder and I dont think I can go on A3 until I have a solid base to work on.

We'll see, as said, I have zero time lately anyways. This will change around next week, but even then I dont know how soon I will work on A3.

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

<- YOUR LONG TEXT :p

As regards distance sounds, I doubt that needs stereo, scalable at distance in both rate (why have high rate sample with a low pass filter/muffle) so yeh stereo only needs to be for FPS weapon and nearfield, and ambience. I wonder, does walking foot sounds need stereo ... ? Thats a thought., I guess like mixing for film or vocal is mono, so feet would be central too I suppose.

Anyway, not calling for anything to be done, realise your busy, and its all a matter of time .. plenty of it with the alpha/beta anyway. Just interested in the ripping open and see what BI did with it all sound config wise (I dont and wont get 3 until way into official release myself).

With the following words I've got ArmA 3 from Bohemia today:

"Thank You for Your time on all work for our ARMA games and community"

So, let me check things out in ArmA 3 and we will see how we go from there. Since CBA has been ported already, the script functions of JSRS 1.5 are working in A3 as well. Which means FPS sounds, Distance sounds and Inroom sounds ;)

LJ

EDIT:

Since a A3 version of JSRS would be kinda of topic here, I maybe go and create a thread over in the A3 section. Not now, not any time soon, but to keep A2 and A3 JSRS separated.

Seems like quite a bit is compatible with A3. Good that you can port over a little easier over time..:)

With the following words I've got ArmA 3 from Bohemia today:

"Thank You for Your time on all work for our ARMA games and community"

So, let me check things out in ArmA 3 and we will see how we go from there. Since CBA has been ported already, the script functions of JSRS 1.5 are working in A3 as well. Which means FPS sounds, Distance sounds and Inroom sounds ;)

LJ

EDIT:

Since a A3 version of JSRS would be kinda of topic here, I maybe go and create a thread over in the A3 section. Not now, not any time soon, but to keep A2 and A3 JSRS separated.

And That is why I love BIS! :)