What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

Thanks LordJarHead and team for this great mod. Only played 5 minutes and I was amazed.

I'll join GeekFurious and seed at least till 2300 tomorrow, then my NAS will shutdown automatically and I am not at home.

Just tested it a little and have only one word:

OUTSTANDING!!!

Thank you LJ for this amazing mod!

Cheers

Crusader

"Sound snip2_tail3 not found"

Yap, my fault, must have missed it in the config. We wait a bit longer and see if you guys find some more before we update the file or provide a patch for those who downloaded the FULL already ;)

And thank you guys so much for seeding and helping others getting the mod! Much appreciated from the whole Team :) Thank you all!

LJ

Just finished testing almost everything from the 1.5, and I must say 1.5 is nearly a complete re-design from 1.4.3 in a very good and welcome way.

I know how much a feedback can mean to a modding team so I will provide mine:

Weapons: No loud sounds, crisper, cleaner, more realistic, and what I personally liked a lot is that weapon parts (metal pieces clicks and cracks) were timed perfectly, you can now see and hear exactly what's going on with your weapon in ms precision. On top of that, the new reloading sounds are just awesome. M60 rapid fire is frightening. If insurgents had some of those people would piss their pants or just spin in circles when under fire from M60 (and 1.5 version of the mod). Favorite weapon sound M4A3 CCO, which just happens to be my favorite weapon in A2OA.

Vehicles ground: The best set of vehicle sounds in a mod/game I've heard, therefore no doubt my favorite part from 1.5. The tracked vehicles in particular have a much better and realistic sound to a point you can literally hear pieces from tracks move independently. The armored vehicle gun sounds are well done as well, no dubbed or pitched sounds anymore, just crisp, clean and loud. Favorite vehicle Linebacker, just so freaking awesome.

Vehicles air: Equally well made set of vehicle sounds, with an exception that these are even more realistic, thus my favorite air vehicle sounds in 1.5 is the little bird (awesome cannon weapon sounds!).

Environment: Even more realistic and lifelike, sort of to a point you can't notice differences. Bird chirps favorite.

Impacts, effects, miscellaneous: Lots of improvements here as well, favorite vehicle crashes and bullet hits. The new indoor effects add a completely new level by themselves.

Optional sounds: Not bad at all, actually very good indeed. Project Zero sound frightening and cool at same time, however, due to A2's engine limitations I think that all of those cool effects can't find their place in A2. M249 favorite.

So, to sum it up. if you liked 1.4.3, you should no doubt get 1.5, if you haven't tried JSRS yet, 1.5 is the right thing specially for small scale tactical co-op players. In addition to that, JSRS 1.5 runs smoother and better than JSRS 1.4.3 which means you gain on performance by using 1.5 :)

Some suggestions/bugs:

Suggestions.

1.I noticed that SD weapon sounds have been remade. Some sound absolutely great, some are mediocre. however they all (almost all except VSS) share one common flaw - Suppressed weapons don't "echo" after shooting in real life, the rare case when they do make extra noise in real life is "pingback" effect when a higher caliber suppressed weapon is fired in CQB, say for example between buildings, or a small almost un-noticable dubbed echo when on a hill/mountain, that being said most A2 covert gameplay doesn't happen neither in complete CQB or on large hills. Also worth noticing is that although "slap"'s do sound right in 1.5, suppressed weapons with higher calibers make a deep "bop" sound on top of that "slap" while smaller caliber weapons such as MP5SD make only mechanism noise with round shots sounds being very hard to notice in real life. Best sounding are MK16 CCO SD (Surprisingly realistic) and VSS.

2.Grenade explosions sound great with the new echo but do lack some depth (1.4.3 had deeper explosions for instance)

Bugs.

1.Mk17 Sniper SD (not the TWS version) uses a shared sound from Mk17 Sniper which is not suppressed.

2.M8 Holo SD uses vanilla sounds.

3.A crash may occur with debugger returning xaudio2_4.dll error when AH11 rockets are fired. Also, the same helicopter model rockets create unusual sounds like pixelated clicks mess which lasts for over 10 seconds (might be my sound driver/card though)

4.BRDM engine off sound for interior (1st person camera) creates cracks and misses engine off sound file on "Get out" command.

5.Several ACR vehicles are missing engine off sound completely with the most noticeable being Dingo 2 CZ. Perhaps it's the DLC's fault.

6. AK 107 has unusually high rate of fire. I am not sure if it's normal or not but the AK 107 ROF is just super fast.

Edited by MAVEN

I am going at ask were again. I have downloaded this mod from two places one in 2 parts the other off the torrent. I extracted and then copy and pasted into my arma 2 folder. Not matter what I have done I can not get this to work. I have added both @JSRS 1.5 and @JSRS ace. They came up in arma 2 launcher and are checked. But when I go into game I get vanilla sounds, I had some one help me using joinme and set it up the way he did it (works on his end). Any one have any ideas what else I can try to do to get it to work? Sorry to ask again but I really want to get this mod working.

Thank you for your time

Think I fixed it. If I dont copy and paste the extracted folder into my mods folder it works. Thanks for reading any way.

Double thanks for the mod

Edited by Buckly

In the FAQ it says:

"Run the jsrs_ace_gau8.pbo and the jsrs_ace_gau8_c.pbo contained in the JSRS ACE pack."

How do I run a pbo file?

Well I am very impressed. I think I had an eargasm !

Great work LJH! Thankyou very much for all your hard work!

Just tried the 1.5 out.

I love it apart from the really loud clicking the L85A2's make when shooting in first person. I use L85's as my main weapon pretty much all the time so it's bugging me a little bit.

I don't know if it is meant to simulate trigger pull or internal mechanisms, but it does seem excessively loud. I'd really love it if the click could be made a little quieter. It's fine in 3rd person though, can't hear it then, but it's hard to aim in 3rd person.

Edited by Ginga121

Congratulations on the release, thanks to LJ and the team J.S.R.S

Thanks

Played with pretty much every sound I possibly could for past 2hrs so far, Lovely release LJ. But, as for feedback. I have to feel that some "clicking sounds" like Ginja said, on some weapons, are very quite loud. Almost to the point where they would put me deaf if I fought with those weapons in a huge battle. This is only in first person. Also mostly on the AKs and L85s. Another thing I can't quite pin point is, is the new "end of transmission" radio "click" at the end of a radio command, suppose to be there, or is that a bug? It is hard to describe, but I am guessing its suppose to sound like the end of a person holding down the push to talk key on their radio. Yet sometimes, it sounds like its a bugged sound. Again, very hard to describe. But it has that sound of like a file trying to play a sound clip, but instead getting half static/half correct. I am sorry I cannot describe this better. But it can be heard at the end of a Radio message. EX: giving your squad orders, or AI spotted a enemy. Etc etc. I think I enjoyed the default BI sound personally.

Other than that, I have found no issues, and is a fantastic release! Have a beer on me!

Thanks for the great feedback/comments, MAVEN! Much appreciated. I'm sure Dennis will eventually address some of the bugs, but he's in bed for a well deserved sleep, plus work in some hours after. So I'm sorta in charge keeping tabs on the thread for the time being, hehe.

I will say the .dll thing sounds unusual and from what I recall was never reported from any of our testers. It's quite possible it's a soundcard/driver thing?

About the BDRM, I just re-tested and didn't notice any such issues. I'm using one of those over-priced and over-hyped Fatality series soundcards. If you have radio sounds enabled (since I coop more than play single player I have ACE turn them off completely), what it could be is the new radio clicks after each unit is talking as they are disembarking. And again, the pixelated sounds are odd. I'd really look and see if you can update your card drivers or something.

ACR content is not officially supported since LJ doesn't have neither the DLC nor the freebie stuff. But LJ knows about the configs, so possibly a lot of the vehicles inherit from other vehicles and there is a way to fix that if it's a known 1.5 thing. We'll have to see. :D

MK17 SD non suppressed. Hmmm, well I placed a crate on utes and tested the MK17 and then swapped to the MK17 SD and they are definitely not the same for me. One definitely sounded like it had the suppressor on. We'll have to see if any more people come up with the same issue. Perhaps one of the files got corrupted upon packing or splitting. Wouldn't surprise me, heh. But we'll still look into it, just in case.

Thanks again and glad you guys are enjoying 1.5! It's been a very long, tiresome and difficult road, but it certainly paid off. :D

I'm using one of those over-priced and over-hyped Fatality series soundcards. If you have radio sounds enabled (since I coop more than play single player I have ACE turn them off completely), what it could be is the new radio clicks after each unit is talking as they are disembarking. And again, the pixelated sounds are odd. I'd really look and see if you can update your card drivers or something.

Was this geared towards MAVEN post OR mine about the radio clicks? Not sure I followed that completely. Either way, My sound drivers are all up to date & brand new, and using a brand new Audio Technica 700X headphones, and that is the only sound glitch I get within all of 1.5. Is the radio clicks sound really off, or not like radio clicks as they are suppose to be. I have zero problems on any other sounds (expect the loud click / gun mechanism on AKs & L85s, that I stated above post).

But if that post wasn't geared towards my comment, than ignore this :)

Amazing stuff LJH. Really can't thank you enough. seeding off my home machine, and our clan server box now...

Downloading now.

Thanks guys. I cannot play ArmA anymore without this mod.

Kudos to you.

Sorry mate, yeah I sort of posted that, not realizing you posted while I was typing that up. It was aimed at MAVEN due to the .dll thing and whatnot. Made me think it was certainly driver/card-related. For those who prefer the BIS clicks over the new ones, I believe it'll be in the Radio Chatter pbo, you can disable it if you prefer. :)

Thank for this mod .. it was WELL worth the wait!!!

This sound mod is EPIC!!!

After I torrented it I started seeding been seeding all day..

Thank you LordJarhead for your Vision and Drive to complete it!! Thank you! to all those who assisted LJH Thank you ALL!!!

Is JSRS going to be updated on SIX updater

That's what we're hoping to eventually see happen. :)

Fantastic mod LJH - I am new to the JSRS world (few weeks back I finally gave 1.4.3 a shot). The sound for the smoke grenade seems very loud - could hear it 200m away when the Takis dropped it at their outpost. Sounds the same no matter the distance.. Other than that - you've injected more life into the ARMA experience. I am back to playing some of my old missions again to see how they sound like.

Perfect - thanks.

-Chapman