What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

It's a free mod, and great one at that, disappointment and whining have no place here :p

and it is true, those using third-party audio modes Ace etc , should not whine here, let pass by.

Hey Lordjarhead! :)

I asked a question on a forum called United Operations (a server i play Arma 2 on) -

ME - "Hey Guys, i was just wondering if the UO server is going to use J.S.R.S 1.5 when it is released later this week? would improved the experience sooo much i think :)!"

USER - "Compatibility issues have meant it hasn't been used on the server, so I doubt it."

ME - "Argh i see, too bad.. But wasn't that with like the 1.4.3 or something like that?"

OTHER USER - "It is unlikely to ever be used on the server, the very way it works causes performance issues with high player counts."

Is this a problem you know about or anything like that? :) Can't wait for the release btw.! :)) Cheers

Lol, all my testers say something else (at least with 1.5). What ever, I dont see a problem in this, its their loss, not mine.

LJ

Nonsense, JSRS is running clientside, so it shouldn´t cause performance issues in MP. Brig 2010 never had perf issues with high playercounts

Hey again mates.. :) i just said on the forum, that your beta testers say something else, and got this respones

- USER "he is not testing with nearly the amount of players we run in our missions. the issue is that whenever you fire a bullet the mod creates a tiny invisible vehicle that travels with the bullet and makes the sounds. for few players that is no problem but

once you push past 50 players and they all start shooting at the same time you get them all spawning vehicles constantly and that strains the server to a point where it just causes massive amounts of desync. believe me we used to have it, but removing it just made the server run a lot smoother."

But i will try to convince them to atleast try the 1.5! :)

Ok, how can a mod impact performance for a host system IF the host system uses ONLY signatures and basic server-side mods??!

If someone hosts a game, and he/she complains about performance loss, this is because he/she is actually playing while hosting or doing something else wrong. Mod signatures were made for a reason.

JSRS is IMHO client-side, and doesn't affect multiplayer gameplay for others whatsoever (except those who have JSRS themselves, or those who hear someones mike echoing the background shots and wonder how cool that sounds) It's "just" a complete sound files replacement pack with some neat tricks on how to add some effects as well. Saying that server slows down because of JSRS is pile of c**p, unless that someone who hosts the game actually plays on host machine and downloads p**n at same time.

he is not testing with nearly the amount of players we run in our missions.

Said who? Brig isn't that small of a clan...

the issue is that whenever you fire a bullet the mod creates a tiny invisible vehicle that travels with the bullet and makes the sounds.

Wrong, the command is createVehicleLocal (getPosATL _weapon). The sound "vehicle" will be placed at the shooters position and...

for few players that is no problem but

once you push past 50 players and they all start shooting at the same time you get them all spawning vehicles constantly and that strains the server to a point where it just causes massive amounts of desync.

The whole thing is running local, on client machine! The server has nothing to do with that (in 1.5 at least). It was maybe different in 1.4.3 because of updating base classes and the overall requirement in mission, that they had to run JSRS on the server as well, but 1.5 is running local, the server just need to allow the mod, not run it itself!

believe me we used to have it, but removing it just made the server run a lot smoother."

I can understand this. But 1.5 will be different. Even a try worth it, believe me. ;)

But i will try to convince them to atleast try the 1.5! :)

Thats the point, 1.5 wont be comparable with 1.4.3. As I said, the server needs to allow the key, not run the mod itself.

@MAVEN: lol^^

He's right, when someone of them is also PLAYING on the server, thats not the fault of JSRS then. Of course JSRS needs its performance. But seriously... they know that! I don't need to waste my time talking about that anyways. They dont want to use it, no problem, not mine at least! I just make the damn thing, you all decide for yourself if you use it or not ;) Besides, 1.5 has not even released yet, so maybe the whole thing will change then. We'll see.

@MAVEN: lol^^

He's right, when someone of them is also PLAYING on the server, thats not the fault of JSRS then. Of course JSRS needs its performance. But seriously... they know that! I don't need to waste my time talking about that anyways. They dont want to use it, no problem, not mine at least! I just make the damn thing, you all decide for yourself if you use it or not ;) Besides, 1.5 has not even released yet, so maybe the whole thing will change then. We'll see.

JSRS doesn't impact performance much. I've been able to run A2OA smoothly with 1.4.3, WarFX, TrueMods, and SLX with little to no noticeable performance impact (tested these with friends on a privately hosted server, nothing wrong there either) on my older test systems. The only noticeable difference is boot loading (launcher bars and addon sync on game startup) that takes a bit more time and some minor lag when there's a huge battle going on and lots of units are shooting.

I hope 1.5 will perform as well as 1.4.3 if not better :p

Just wanted to ask, why does JSRS like to be added as "jsrs_distance" when you make missions for example? O.o ((jsrs_distance appears in addon needed list in mission.sqm))

I hope 1.5 will perform as well as 1.4.3 if not better :p

Indeed, it certainly does! ;)

Just wanted to ask, why does JSRS like to be added as "jsrs_distance" when you make missions for example? O.o ((jsrs_distance appears in addon needed list in mission.sqm))

It had some enhanced scripting in it that caused the game to make this addon as a required one. Wont be the case in 1.5 anymore ;)

@John

Welcome back matey, hope you got nice into 2013 ;) All the best for this year man!

LJ

Will we need to delete the J.S.R.S. 1.4.3 mod or is there going to be a patch?

Will we need to delete the J.S.R.S. 1.4.3 mod or is there going to be a patch?

Good question, really wish to know this one as well.

No patch. All files have been updated or tweaked. There is no pbo untouched, to a patch would be all the same here and useless...

But I will provide older JSRS sounds from 1.4.3 as an optional download with the new 1.5 keys, so you can easily switch the sounds as you like.

LJ

No patch. All files have been updated or tweaked. There is no pbo untouched, to a patch would be all the same here and useless...

But I will provide older JSRS sounds from 1.4.3 as an optional download with the new 1.5 keys, so you can easily switch the sounds as you like.

LJ

Not sure if okay to ask, but what kind of file size will 1.5 be?

My copy is around 1.75GB currently. If I know Dennis, it'll end up 400GB by the time we're ready, lol j/k.

Currently using JSRS and I have to say it's a great modification. No problems at all and the sounds are brilliant. Keep it up.

My copy is around 1.75GB currently. If I know Dennis, it'll end up 400GB by the time we're ready, lol j/k.

Hehehe, nah, I try to prevent this... I not even reached the 200GB yet, so come on! :P

Its currently around 1.72 GB, 1.80GB with ACE content. I updated a lot of things recently, cleaned the pbo's of SFK files and kept the file size low by using low kHz rates on not so obviously sounds.

When it is packed, I guess it'll be around 1GB.

LJ

---------- Post added at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 AM ----------

Currently using JSRS and I have to say it's a great modification. No problems at all and the sounds are brilliant. Keep it up.

You just registered yourself here for saying that? Amazing! Thank you so much!

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

Any chance you guys release a true HD version of this mod (With HQ sound files, can be 5+ gb doesn't matter)? :p

From what I've heard in 1.4.3, you put so much effort in sound refurbishing, sound design and effects and then you had to compress it to make it playable :(

Any chance you guys release a true HD version of this mod (With HQ sound files, can be 5+ gb doesn't matter)? :p

From what I've heard in 1.4.3, you put so much effort in sound refurbishing, sound design and effects and then you had to compress it to make it playable :(

Well, it can also be really nice sometimes, you dont have to stress yourself about a certain issue, clicks and crackles ^^ The game engine will take of this for ya!

It had some enhanced scripting in it that caused the game to make this addon as a required one. Wont be the case in 1.5 anymore ;)

Oh my, the greatest news I have heard all day. I know for us mission makers, we aren't suppose to make missions with no addons active, But I still use just client-side addons when I make mine (including JSRS). So this is great news for 1.5! No longer have to delete the line every time I push the mission out to the public.

Great work man, Keep this train a rollin! Can't wait!!!

Task #70070: Pack, Upload and final Test, guess what that means ^^^^^^ triple eyebrows

That there may be some issues and errors at all ;)

I'm really looking forward to that! A lot of missions are already in queue to be played again with 1.5 :)

oh yes, a highres HD hasenichgesehn-version would be nice, for the real hifi-fanatics of us....later of course if you have the time.

Can´t wait man.... Hopefully its comming this weekend so it will be an good start in 2013

LordJarhead "Haste makes waste" - just delay the release for at least 2-3 days! At least just play some missions with the new upgrade for a bit on your own/with friends just to make sure nothing got lost or forgotten. JSRS fanboys might be too blind/deaf or too occupied with frenzy cheering or "forcing" other addon makers to build their own mods/addons "only" with JSRS sounds.... ;)

@Soldia:

Today? All the best mate :)

@ALL

I'm going to make a little test, then pack it if nothing else interrupts the procedure. Made the revolver, MMT, and extra optional config to disable soldiers hurt sounds, no screaming and moaning all the time when being hit. I added optional sounds from JSRS 1.4.3 (just a few weapons) and added optional sounds of the never published ProjectZero mod, a side mod of JSRS. So around 46.pbo's to switch here. All with .wav files so you can listen to them before installing.

So, testing now, then I will pack this huge thing (I guess it'll be OVER 1GB now) and then I will upload (for hours). Then my tester will get it first, just doing the most important things, like testing if all the named errors are really gone, and then you'll get it of course!

Gota work tomorrow morning, so not sure how fast we'll be able to test all that (since I need several hours to upload as well). I say... Sunday would be THE day, when nothings interrupt. :)

LJ