What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

There was actually a Performance test with JSRS 1.5, here are some results:

With JSRS 1.5

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg

1070, 60000, 11, 23, 17.833

1078, 60000, 12, 23, 17.967

997, 60000, 10, 22, 16.617

Vanilla without JSRS.

1172, 60000, 11, 25, 19.533

1174, 60000, 13, 24, 19.567

1185, 60000, 12, 25, 19.750

11% Performance decrease. Both tests where made with ACE, ACEX, ACERU, ASR_AI, GBR, CAA1, CAA1_Objects, DM, ExA, EOD, SakuMods, WinterMod (Thirsk) and some other mods... 200+ AI Units where dropped on a map face to face and each single test of the six took about 30 seconds.

This is just a side test. John just mentioned to redo the test without any other mods, just JSRS/CBA or CBA/Vanilla. Will do this in a bit.

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

A 200+ AI clusterfuck?

I think frames are pretty good for something like that.

Needs testing on older CPUs

mod again release December or January as it was 1.4, the coincidence :)

The release date has been announced in post #5571 already.

Edited by [TcB]-Psycho-

-Psycho-;2253692']The release date has been announced in post #5571 already.

i am not asking, it`s fact release date in Dec/Jan/Feb

Yeah Andy, it is dec/Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr/May/Jun/Jul.... 2012/2013/2014....... :P Most likely you right with this far stretched period of time^^

LOL, I felt into the "cant sign addons" chamber of Arma I believe: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?66018-Addon-Sign-Issue

Getting CPAcquireContext failed all the time...

So I can't sign my addons anymore... I'm so tired of this shit..... anyone who maybe can help out? Any ideas or workarounds?

LJ

Oh my God those T-72 Sounds!

They are awesome!

(The rest too of course :p)

This is, by far, my favorite sound mod, and with 1.5 it's looking like you're continuing to both deliver and impress. Thank you for all your hard work, LJ! :D

Awesome! I can't wait for release.

coming soon shortly , it`s joke :yay::bounce3::butbut

like real sound war ,almost

Sounds great!

You've basically made the Arma 2 sound engine sound like one of the best ever ! ;)

Nice attention to detail on the servo sounds. I'm so sick and tired of those "start and stop" things that typically goes on here that I can't stand being in a turreted vehicle.

Chopper seems nice and quiet to fly around in (although I tend to play infantry). Shouldn't also the tanks be that, given that they too wear headsets and are able to use intercoms? As for trucks (probably also Strykers, but I've never ridden in one), the modern ones are quiet enough to be able to maintain a normal conversation in it. I've been woken up by a starting Leo2, so yeah, that was and should be a rather brutal experience. But where we in real life can shout in order to get a message across, this simply doesn't work in a computer game due to clippping.

One thing I always tend to disagree on, in basically all games and their mods, is the level of footsteps and noises caused by walking through tall grass. If you record yourself walking and shooting, how do you think that would sound? Now compare that to games, where footsteps 2m from ear have almost same pressure as a damned gun located close to your ears. True, a helmet acts a bit as an amplifier for boot sounds, but not like this.

As a sound modder myself, I do realize the need to "show off my own work" typically using volumes (even if my mods are clan internal). But I always end up turning down volumes either when I'm done tweaking (volume for soloing/screening purposes), reduce sample amplitude (I know, quality loss, but it's too effective to ignore :D), or simply because I've grown tired of a particular sound. Repeat frequency, for those ambience sounds, are much more horrid to adjust, and I'm sorry to say I ignore this for too long :(

Look at this as constructive criticism. Don't get me wrong, I'm in love with this already. Considering the limitations of the sound engine as most of us know it, I have to agree fully with Khaki above. There might be better engines out there, but Arma never sounded better ever, and even the better engines tend not to fully utilize their potential. Amazing work. Congratulations, get yourself a drink and toast to yourself :D

Nice attention to detail on the servo sounds. I'm so sick and tired of those "start and stop" things that typically goes on here that I can't stand being in a turreted vehicle.

Chopper seems nice and quiet to fly around in (although I tend to play infantry). Shouldn't also the tanks be that, given that they too wear headsets and are able to use intercoms? As for trucks (probably also Strykers, but I've never ridden in one), the modern ones are quiet enough to be able to maintain a normal conversation in it. I've been woken up by a starting Leo2, so yeah, that was and should be a rather brutal experience. But where we in real life can shout in order to get a message across, this simply doesn't work in a computer game due to clippping.

One thing I always tend to disagree on, in basically all games and their mods, is the level of footsteps and noises caused by walking through tall grass. If you record yourself walking and shooting, how do you think that would sound? Now compare that to games, where footsteps 2m from ear have almost same pressure as a damned gun located close to your ears. True, a helmet acts a bit as an amplifier for boot sounds, but not like this.

As a sound modder myself, I do realize the need to "show off my own work" typically using volumes (even if my mods are clan internal). But I always end up turning down volumes either when I'm done tweaking (volume for soloing/screening purposes), reduce sample amplitude (I know, quality loss, but it's too effective to ignore :D), or simply because I've grown tired of a particular sound. Repeat frequency, for those ambience sounds, are much more horrid to adjust, and I'm sorry to say I ignore this for too long :(

Look at this as constructive criticism. Don't get me wrong, I'm in love with this already. Considering the limitations of the sound engine as most of us know it, I have to agree fully with Khaki above. There might be better engines out there, but Arma never sounded better ever, and even the better engines tend not to fully utilize their potential. Amazing work. Congratulations, get yourself a drink and toast to yourself :D

Thank you Carl,

for your good criticism. Yes, the internal Vehicle sounds should be less audible due to communication within vehicles. The T72 was not touched for that progress so far. Helicopters are fine in my eyes/ears.

Yes, I admit, the footstep sounds are a bit loud maybe, but I want to catch with such details. All in all I can say from my experience as a nerd myself (:P) that those details can be overseen easily while listening to "more important" sound effects. Like gunfire and or what ever. But what I can say from all the games/rounds/coops I played with those footsteps, is, that they fit in just fine. If something like a bullethit, soniccrack or familiar stuff is happening, you'll notice it anytime. Since those sounds are more aggressive, fastly cutted and pitched. If you get under fire, you'll feel it, no matter how loud footsteps are or not.

At least I hope I got your point with the steps^^ If you would walk through tall grass while shooting, and you will record that, I can tell you what you will hear: You will hear the grass as the primary soundsource, 0db+/- peek meter mark. So those grass noises are damn loud. So if you shoot the gun now, it should be much louder, right? But while recording the 0dB Peek meter mark wont go into +"whatever", it'll always stay at 0dB. BUT the shot was much louder than the steps, so how does it could be on the same mark? Easy, by reducing the other sounds. So you will hear the grass, you shoot, everything will be much quieter for a moment, the grass too. Then the grass noises will raise up slowly to the 0dB PM mark again. Same way as a human ear works kinda...

BUT Arma limitation wont let me simulate something like that. Imagine that things like steps, engines, voices what ever would actually be quieter due to gun effects, explosions or what ever... but its not possible. So the only thing I could to is to pretend that the grass noises are much quieter all the time since a gun sound could effect the players ears any minute... would mean the steps get quieter alot... loosing details I wont like to refrain...

Same for environment sounds. They should get almost inaudibly when a battle is going off. When a explosion hits you, you wont be able to react to anything that soon again. Sadly its not going to happen... would have been great and also would have gave us a lot of impression I guess...

LJ

Truth to be told I also think that footsteps sounds are just a touch too loud and should be more subtle, but maybe this will feel completely different when I´m playing with this beauty, coming under fire and shooting back.

The RPK indoor Sound was awesome!

LJD: I'm REALLY looking forward to v1.5.

Here's an article I spotted today that might interest you:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20400030

Yeah that was pretty interesting. Really cool to know the noises which can describe a period of time, from War to War different. Best sentence though: But Thompson says although war is full of noise, there is also another notable sound that shouldn't be forgotten - silence.

LJ

I'm glad that you liked that.

I couldn't agree with you more infact. The V1 (doodlebug) is scared the willies out of me:

The muffled rumble of distant explosions, followed by the gradual warbling that rises to clear rumbling only to suddenly cut out. Everything silent. Silent for so long that you begin to wonder if you hadn't imagined it all... when suddenly ... BOOM! Nerve-racking to say the least. Civilian casualties are to be deplored on ALL sides.

I guess its the thing that you know those sounds indicate a danger, maybe even death. Its terrible to hear a sound and you already know that the reason for this noise will cause death and tragedy. And yes, the casualties are always a pain in the ass, soldiers or civilians. In WW1 100 soldiers died while 1 civilian died, in WW2 1 Soldier/1 Civilian, in Vietnam 1 Soldier on 100 civilians and this will raise every day I believe. A interesting fact is the noises of drones in the present. Since those will fight even more to safe soldiers lifes, but also drones kill civilians. Maybe its getting 1 Soldiers on 200 civilians on day... who knows? When I turn on the TV, there are death civilians every day down there in near east. Its a tragedy...

LJ