What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

Wow. It's good to see that you guys make some awesome progress :D

Can't wait for JSRS 1.5. I think im even more excited about it, then ArmA 3 xD

@LJ

I already PM'ed you about it some Time ago, but i would like to know if you put it in ^^

Is it now possible, also with the new script structure, that weapons, which fires Subsonic ammunition (or just SD mags) don't create a sonic boom and also aren't that loud.

And on the other side, when you fire a weapon with suppressor, fires a non subsonic round is louder?

Well,

as far as I can tell you from my experience there is already this difference in ammo types. An Sub-sonic Ammo causes no sonic-cracks while Super-sonic do. To make a difference of a weapon sound depending on its ammo usage is kinda impossible without scripting I believe. Actually I don't believe there is a normal way to do this, so my idea would be to cover that feature with the script we are running at the moment. Well, I don't know in which way this could be possible since we would have to address the projectile itself....

We will have to add this to the longest line and see what we can do about it ;)

LJ

i really love this soundmod, and looking forward to the new version.

but, can you look into the "in cockpit" sounds ? they are much to loud, would be cool if you lower

them, so you have the feel of having heömets on, and sounddampening from the canopy.

also communication is than a lot easier!

thx for your work,

greetz

masty

i really love this soundmod, and looking forward to the new version.

but, can you look into the "in cockpit" sounds ? they are much to loud, would be cool if you lower

them, so you have the feel of having heömets on, and sounddampening from the canopy.

also communication is than a lot easier!

thx for your work,

greetz

masty

Well, TBH I thought the same some times ago while doing coops. I barely can understand people in TS/ACRE while driving a vehicle, so I need to decrease the effects volume. But all other stuff is getting quiet as well then. So I thought about making them less audible in the inside.

Dont know, many say its realistic to have them that loud, even louder some would say. So maybe I'm able to create another set of configs, one for normal volume, one for less audible.

LJ

I don't think you 'll need '2' sets of config.

I m sure Vehicle-crew's are wearing special headphones so communications are heard clearly

..and environment (mechanical) IS heard 'somehow' reduced for crew's ear protection.

So..let only 1 config with reduced sounds inside due to simulation ;)

Edited by GiorgyGR

I don't think you 'll need '2' sets of config.

I m sure Vehicle-crew's are wearing special headphones so communications are heard clearly

..and environment (mechanical) IS heard 'somehow' reduced for crew's ear protection.

So..let only 1 config with reduced sounds inside due to simulation ;)

Yah that's a point, right there. If you think about it, if groups IRL are wearing headsets and such, it would muffle the inside sounds a bit and they can still clearly hear and communicate with one another. I think back when Bomb Patrol:Afghanistan was on G4TV (God, I wish they would make a new season! Grrr), they were wearing headsets and communicating even inside with one another via the radio's. In fact one of them got all tangled up in their headset trying to get the damn things off in time so he can jump out and warn some moron Afghani walking next to a hand grenade location they were counting down to detonate. So I mean, when you look at that sort of thing, it kind of makes sense having the engine sounds and stuff a bit quieter instead of loud or louder to simulate such circumstances.

My suggestion is we have the 1, like GiorgyGR said. Then when all's said and done, we can eventually just release another optional one if too many complaints and boo-hoo's come pouring in. I think it's better to be able to hear your own team mates without maxing out the volume or end up sitting at your computer shouting on top of your lungs. :P

On a related note:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?138553-RHS-Armed-Forces-of-the-Russian-Federation-0-1-6-Released!(Updated)&p=2244559&viewfull=1#post2244559

What he is saying is basically that close up Engine sounds are not loud enough (keep in mind that he is talking about OLD russian vehicels. Modern ones such as T-90 are not as loud as the old ones) and I agree with him. Idle sounds are good as they are, but high rpm sounds should be much louder. Remember that the T55 has a V12 engine with 33 liters cubic capacity and 580HP.

Gameplay would benefit from loder external sounds as well since you wouldn´t have to tell your friends to stay away from the tank, they would do it on their own.

Interior sounds on the other hand should be more silent to improve communication.

I´m sure you´ll find good solutions

(BTW could you tell me how to write a config that replaces RHS AK74 Sounds with your AK74 Sounds?)

Just an idea - perhaps have only crew/pilot units wear a "JSRS noise protection headset" on default? Another little issue with JSRS was (or still is?) that people could hear and pinpoint vehicles far far away. Imo these distance sounds could be more ambigous and less audible - so people would only say something like "Hmm I hear some noise, somewhere over there is something driving (flying) around!" Of course if the vehicle is very close people should be able to guess right which side/faction this sound/noise belongs to. ;)

OK, first: All of you are right ;)

(God, I wish they would make a new season! Grrr)

Ouhhh yahhhhhh! :D

You are right man...

On a related note:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?138553-RHS-Armed-Forces-of-the-Russian-Federation-0-1-6-Released!(Updated)&p=2244559&viewfull=1#post2244559

What he is saying is basically that close up Engine sounds are not loud enough (keep in mind that he is talking about OLD russian vehicels. Modern ones such as T-90 are not as loud as the old ones) and I agree with him. Idle sounds are good as they are, but high rpm sounds should be much louder. Remember that the T55 has a V12 engine with 33 liters cubic capacity and 580HP.

Gameplay would benefit from loder external sounds as well since you wouldn´t have to tell your friends to stay away from the tank, they would do it on their own.

Interior sounds on the other hand should be more silent to improve communication.

I´m sure you´ll find good solutions

(BTW could you tell me how to write a config that replaces RHS AK74 Sounds with your AK74 Sounds?)

.... and you are right, too! All in all we have to keep Arma limitation always in background. I cant make a difference between a takistan local driving a 580HP T55 without a helmet or earplugs and a US Army Crew member driving a Abrams. I could make the abrams less audible because the US crew has helmets, mics and earplugs and the T55 would be louder since the takis dont have these things, but what if the drivers are changing seats?

All in all I can say that I will make the interior sounds of vehicles less audible, due to the communication problems we have in MP sometimes. Exterior will be loud, no change there....

Just an idea - perhaps have only crew/pilot units wear a "JSRS noise protection headset" on default? Another little issue with JSRS was (or still is?) that people could hear and pinpoint vehicles far far away. Imo these distance sounds could be more ambigous and less audible - so people would only say something like "Hmm I hear some noise, somewhere over there is something driving (flying) around!" Of course if the vehicle is very close people should be able to guess right which side/faction this sound/noise belongs to. ;)

... and yes, this has been done. All vehicles have a muffled far away engine sounds you will hear far before you can see those vehicles. They are hard to identify on longer ranges, withing 500 meters you will hear the real sound and can do identify them easily. This works for all kinds of vehicles by now. I even have trouble identify things on long range, sometimes I think its a helicopter but its a tank and vise versa.

LJ

OK, first: All of you are right ;)

Ouhhh yahhhhhh! :D

You are right man...

.... and you are right, too! All in all we have to keep Arma limitation always in background. I cant make a difference between a takistan local driving a 580HP T55 without a helmet or earplugs and a US Army Crew member driving a Abrams. I could make the abrams less audible because the US crew has helmets, mics and earplugs and the T55 would be louder since the takis dont have these things, but what if the drivers are changing seats?

All in all I can say that I will make the interior sounds of vehicles less audible, due to the communication problems we have in MP sometimes. Exterior will be loud, no change there....

... and yes, this has been done. All vehicles have a muffled far away engine sounds you will hear far before you can see those vehicles. They are hard to identify on longer ranges, withing 500 meters you will hear the real sound and can do identify them easily. This works for all kinds of vehicles by now. I even have trouble identify things on long range, sometimes I think its a helicopter but its a tank and vise versa.

LJ

Ok, leave that for the future "Make Tank engines (much) louder if close to them while they drive at high RPM"

That sounds badass!

I could make the abrams less audible because the US crew has helmets, mics and earplugs and the T55 would be louder since the takis dont have these things, but what if the drivers are changing seats?

Dude, you cant just plug in the american stuff to the soviet TPU system! They are incompatible! :)

In RL, americans would have two options: 1, use the soviet tankist helmets (which are actually better than those heavy, bulky american helmets) 2, dont use them, but then they cant communicate with each other in the tank.

So, a little constructive criticism:

First, to have some insight to the sounds in a real tank (first T-64, then T-72) watch these videos:

With engine at idle, the crew can talk, although loudly. But as soon the vehicle starts moving, they have to shout to understand each other. And note that you dont hear any track noise inside, only the roar of the engine, the sound of the gyros, fans and the autoloader! Without helmet, its simply deafening. Its true for all soviet vehicles, they are ALL very loud.

Outside sounds:

The sound quality of this video is excellent, one of the best I've ever heard, its very close to RL.

Another one, quite good quality: (BMP-3 & T-90)

You can hear the track noise, but only sometimes, and only barely!

Edited by Archbishop Lazarus

Dude, you cant just plug in the american stuff to the soviet TPU system! They are incompatible! :)

Dont wanted to say that with my last post, sry if you got it like that ;) It was meant different... the US crew maybe have earplugs the Taki locals have not... but...

In RL, americans would have two options: 1, use the soviet tankist helmets (which are actually better than those heavy, bulky american helmets) 2, dont use them, but then they cant communicate with each other in the tank.

So, a little constructive criticism:

First, to have some insight to the sounds in a real tank (first T-64, then T-72) watch these videos:

With engine at idle, the crew can talk, although loudly. But as soon the vehicle starts moving, they have to shout to understand each other. And note that you dont hear any track noise inside, only the roar of the engine, the sound of the gyros, fans and the autoloader! Without helmet, its simply deafening. Its true for all soviet vehicles, they are ALL very loud.

Outside sounds:

The sound quality of this video is excellent, one of the best I've ever heard, its very close to RL.

Another one, quite good quality: (BMP-3 & T-90)

You can hear the track noise, but only sometimes, and only barely!

... sure you are right, and I actually dont wanted to decrease the volume on the vehicles. But after playing some coops, it might come in handy to have an decreased inside volume to communicate, no matter if you sit in a T55 or Abrams. I know it has not that much to do with realism and this is still a goal for some of you. But as I said, I will provide two versions of configs (which is totally not a problem, the work in really fast done) and you can decide for yourself if you rather take a real and loud inside Tank sound or the decreased ones for better communication ;)

I would rather have the choice to be honest. I'm not playing often MP and I like to play some SP for sometimes either, so then I want to have the full realistic acoustic for my sounds which I cant have in MP (as mentioned, communication, and as John said, I dont want to scream and yell around in my house and look like a crazy nerd^^).

Thanks for the videos guys, they have great quality and I can use them for sure (especially the T55 and BMP3 sounds) ;)

Thanks guys!

EDIT:

I decided to make a public beta with JSRS 1.5. Its about time to let JSRS show you guys whats in it and you are able to show me, what I missed, what needs to be fixed and what else we shall work on. As soon as I can get a chance to get JSRS to run mostly without errors (CBA requirement/script is not working here and there) I will upload the whole stuff and provide it for download.

There are some things you should keep in mind while testing: Please test JSRS 1.5 without any other mods first! Just JSRS, no ACE, no CBA (if we can get it to run like I think we can) or any other stuff. Since JSRS is made to replace the Arma sounds it is really important to know, that JSRS is running fine as it is supposed to! After that, we can go for other Mods and AddOns. And if there are some failures/issues we might be able to get rid of them with the help of the associated authors of these mods/addons. Main goal is a RPT free run on Arma2 Vanilla!

I shall mention that I CANT and don't WANT to cover all mods out there, so the only mod I can fully support is ACE! Keep that in mind. JSRS is not supposed to work with/for other mods.

And kinda bad news on top of that: I wont provide patches or updates. Means: If you download the Beta you will have to re-download the final mod version AGAIN! This is because I don't want to run into that patching stuff again which has confused some people.

Tonci: You guy maybe have some time for me again? I would need your team for a non-public test first. So we can clear the mod of the biggest problems in advance before going public?

I cant say exactly when I will come to get the latest version up on a server, but I will keep you informed. Maybe there is a chance for next two weeks ;)

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead
Adding something

Dont wanted to say that with my last post, sry if you got it like that ;) It was meant different... the US crew maybe have earplugs the Taki locals have not... but...

... sure you are right, and I actually dont wanted to decrease the volume on the vehicles. But after playing some coops, it might come in handy to have an decreased inside volume to communicate, no matter if you sit in a T55 or Abrams. I know it has not that much to do with realism and this is still a goal for some of you. But as I said, I will provide two versions of configs (which is totally not a problem, the work in really fast done) and you can decide for yourself if you rather take a real and loud inside Tank sound or the decreased ones for better communication ;)

I would rather have the choice to be honest. I'm not playing often MP and I like to play some SP for sometimes either, so then I want to have the full realistic acoustic for my sounds which I cant have in MP (as mentioned, communication, and as John said, I dont want to scream and yell around in my house and look like a crazy nerd^^).

Thanks for the videos guys, they have great quality and I can use them for sure (especially the T55 and BMP3 sounds) ;)

Thanks guys!

EDIT:

I decided to make a public beta with JSRS 1.5. Its about time to let JSRS show you guys whats in it and you are able to show me, what I missed, what needs to be fixed and what else we shall work on. As soon as I can get a chance to get JSRS to run mostly without errors (CBA requirement/script is not working here and there) I will upload the whole stuff and provide it for download.

There are some things you should keep in mind while testing: Please test JSRS 1.5 without any other mods first! Just JSRS, no ACE, no CBA (if we can get it to run like I think we can) or any other stuff. Since JSRS is made to replace the Arma sounds it is really important to know, that JSRS is running fine as it is supposed to! After that, we can go for other Mods and AddOns. And if there are some failures/issues we might be able to get rid of them with the help of the associated authors of these mods/addons. Main goal is a RPT free run on Arma2 Vanilla!

I shall mention that I CANT and don't WANT to cover all mods out there, so the only mod I can fully support is ACE! Keep that in mind. JSRS is not supposed to work with/for other mods.

And kinda bad news on top of that: I wont provide patches or updates. Means: If you download the Beta you will have to re-download the final mod version AGAIN! This is because I don't want to run into that patching stuff again which has confused some people.

Tonci: You guy maybe have some time for me again? I would need your team for a non-public test first. So we can clear the mod of the biggest problems in advance before going public?

I cant say exactly when I will come to get the latest version up on a server, but I will keep you informed. Maybe there is a chance for next two weeks ;)

LJ

NP LJ drop us a message in our forum. Be beware many of us are not ready to touch the game without ACE/ACRE running so don´t expect very big numbers until you give us green light to use these mods. But I guess we should still be able to have at least 15-20 players for the first tests.

Oh and Archbishop Lazarus mentioned something very important The autoloader that is used in the T-72 and the T-90. I think it has a very distinctive sound. Could someone try to find it on YT (I´m currently at work)

NP LJ drop us a message in our forum. Be beware many of us are not ready to touch the game without ACE/ACRE running so don´t expect very big numbers until you give us green light to use these mods. But I guess we should still be able to have at least 15-20 players for the first tests.

Oh and Archbishop Lazarus mentioned something very important The autoloader that is used in the T-72 and the T-90. I think it has a very distinctive sound. Could someone try to find it on YT (I´m currently at work)

Ya me too. You should get around 10 people for the first test. The script is also working with AI so everything concerning script can be tested woth AI as well.

Thanks.

LJ

Thanks for the videos guys, they have great quality and I can use them for sure (especially the T55 and BMP3 sounds)

Im glad that I could help a bit! :)

Previous page! :D

What Im desperately trying to find, is the turret servo sound of soviet tanks.

You can hear it in the following video, between 0:23 and 0:27, but I wasnt able to extract it, too much engine/gyro/fan noise.

but I wasnt able to extract it, too much engine/gyro/fan noise

Let me take care of that ;)

LJ

Talking about tank track noises... Don't know if it is possible in ArmA 2 to simulate terrain having an effect on track noises and especially when turning the tank, but anyways BMP-1s and BMP-2s make quite loud track screeching noises when moving on asphalt or concrete. As I've been working alongside BMP-2s due to my conscription for this whole year I can say that those screeching noises are LOUD when in close proximity, especially when moving the tanks to tank shelters in urban areas.

You can hear the track screeching on this video during 2:35, 3:36 and 3:58

I have to mention one flaw with the current JSRS sound mod, which comes into play with many air vehicles and is most prominent with the Osprey or F-35 when turning off the engine. The sound cutoff is very abrupt and does kill immersion. I also came across this osprey video as of late and it could definitely help you improve the ospreys sound, just listen to the distinctive sound it makes when it's approaching with its rotors in helicopter mode. (8 minutes 30 seconds+)

Please please please.

Talking about tank track noises... Don't know if it is possible in ArmA 2 to simulate terrain having an effect on track noises and especially when turning the tank, but anyways BMP-1s and BMP-2s make quite loud track screeching noises when moving on asphalt or concrete. As I've been working alongside BMP-2s due to my conscription for this whole year I can say that those screeching noises are LOUD when in close proximity, especially when moving the tanks to tank shelters in urban areas.

You can hear the track screeching on this video during 2:35, 3:36 and 3:58

Thank you for your real life expirience man, those critism/constructive feedback is alway really good and gives me a view into a real life example. Thanks for telling me ;) Also it IS possible to make a difference between a Hard (Stone, Road) and a soft (gras, dirt, sand) underground...

I have to mention one flaw with the current JSRS sound mod, which comes into play with many air vehicles and is most prominent with the Osprey or F-35 when turning off the engine. The sound cutoff is very abrupt and does kill immersion. I also came across this osprey video as of late and it could definitely help you improve the ospreys sound, just listen to the distinctive sound it makes when it's approaching with its rotors in helicopter mode. (8 minutes 30 seconds+)

Please please please.

Thanks for the link, this might come in handy, will check it out asap. The Osprey is a fine piece, I never had good samples/videos though. So I will take care on that thing today!

LJ

EDIT:

We are not able to make JSRS non-CBA required, so we will keep this in for now. It is a pain in the #ss work, so we safe the time and leave it. But JSRS does not need to spawn a dummy vehicle anymore, since CBA provides all settings/basics JSRS needs to work fine, so JSRS will be 100% client side now. There is no network traffic needed anymore, which means JSRS wont enroll in the required addons when editing a mission while JSRS is activated. We will have to do some tests and will keep you guys informed ;)

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

BMP3 shooting video, notice interesting zap or pew sound effect while it's shooting. On minute 1:00 and 1:29 u can clearly hear what i mean, sounds even bit scifi'sh :)

here is 2a72 shooting

also found shilkas shooting, damn i could bet lord jarehead, took his samples out of this video, sounds exactly the same as in game ;)

t90's driving and shooting. Notice when they giving gas, sweet sounds there. I wish jsrs could have similar shooting sounds, loud and powerfull like here.

Edited by NeuroFunker

BMP3 shooting video, notice interesting zap or pew sound effect while it's shooting. On minute 1:00 and 1:29 u can clearly hear what i mean, sounds even bit scifi'sh :)

Thanks for the vids. The sound you hear are AFTER the shot and its the projectile hitting the target, so pieces are snappin' through the air, its like a soniccrack of metal pieces. This is not a gun sound ;)

LJ

Talking about tank track noises... Don't know if it is possible in ArmA 2 to simulate terrain having an effect on track noises and especially when turning the tank, but anyways BMP-1s and BMP-2s make quite loud track screeching noises when moving on asphalt or concrete.

I've also driven a BMP-1. Yes, I agree, its track can be quite noisy on asphalt/concrete, and especially when turning the vehicle. But unfortunately such "turning sounds" are impossible to do in Arma 2. Track design is also a factor in noise levels, and BMP-1/2 tracks are among the noisy types, but on soil, it isnt too audible.