What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

I noticed a little sound "Bug"

I think its because of the ArmA engine, but maybe there is a way to fix it.

I'll try to explain it as good as i can.

Okay, imagine you standing somewhere in e.g. Takistan.

A helicopter is passing over you and keeps flying in one direction.

You hear him and suddenly you see him crash.

In the same moment, when he crashes, the sound of his rotor/engine disappears.

After some time (depends on the distance) you hear the explosion.

The "bug" here is, that you would still hear the the helicopter flying, even if he's crashed.

The same applies for Tanks and Cars.

As is said, i suspect it is a Arma engine "problem"

I don't know if its changeable via a script or something. (maybe with the Vehicle distance script?)

But a this would make the game a bit more authentic and JSRS more Awesome. (if that is still possible) ^^

Edited by B1n4ry

I noticed a little sound "Bug"

I think its because of the ArmA engine, but maybe there is a way to fix it.

I'll try to explain it as good as i can.

Okay, imagine you stand somewhere on e.g. Takistan.

A helicopter is passing over you and keeps flying in one direction.

You hear him and suddenly you see him crash.

In the same moment, when he crashes, the sound of his rotor/engine disappears.

After some time (depends on the distance) you hear the explosion.

The bug here is, that you would still hear the the helicopter flying, even if he's crashed.

Same is for Tanks and Cars, i think.

I think it is a Arma engine "problem"

I also don't know if its changeable via a script or something. (maybe with the Vehicle distance script?)

But a this would make the game a bit more authentic and JSRS more Awesome. (if that is still possible) ^^

Arma limitation and not fixable, sry bud ;)

The sound of the helicopter engine will be played without any consideration of distance to the player, so there is no time between whats happening with the engine and the sound the player can hear at a certain range. The sound will be played the same time as the action. So when the helicopter crashes the engine stops playing, you will hear that the same time the crash happens. But the explosion will take a while to be audible because of the consideration of time it would take to reach the player. So, no way to fix that. Sry!

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

too bad,

I've already guessed :/

-In Arma 3 will be better- xD

Wouldn't bet on it, but I hope so at least ;)

LJ

Hey, Jarhead, I really like your mod.

Unfortunately most servers do not use it because apparently it creates some kind of "object" or "entity" for every single sound on the map. This causes the server to lag and decrease performance for all players.

Are you going to fix this?

Its fixed already. The "object" is just an invisible kind of vehicle underneath the map that allows the script to work. No AI or anyone can response to that object. The rest is just event handler which are getting spawn on the map for each distance effect. Those are playing their certain sound sample and getting deleted afterwards. We played several coops or MP runs over long time (several hours) and had no lags.

Also I should mention that there is no way to compare 1.4.3 with the latest 1.5 beta version. The script is running 100% better, causing 100% less problems and is 400% more extensive!

LJ

sweet , does it mean better frame rate ?

Never tested that so far. But the sounds getting played far more smoothed and theres much less audiovisual disorientation in the distance sounds. It also matters how many soldiers shooting the same time, also with what kinda weapons. Twenty m249 gunner shooting the same time still cause some strange soundings. But it does also in Vanilla sound.

LJ

nice work ! i'm waiting some video and more news thanks for that ;)

Its fixed already. The "object" is just an invisible kind of vehicle underneath the map that allows the script to work. No AI or anyone can response to that object. The rest is just event handler which are getting spawn on the map for each distance effect. Those are playing their certain sound sample and getting deleted afterwards. We played several coops or MP runs over long time (several hours) and had no lags.

Also I should mention that there is no way to compare 1.4.3 with the latest 1.5 beta version. The script is running 100% better, causing 100% less problems and is 400% more extensive!

LJ

wow man, what can be better then 1.4.3 anyway? I can't tell really any problem which disturbing me currently, everything works and sounds like charm! Only thing i do miss is, echo, HARCP style.

That's good to hear but I still see admins complaining about these 'vehicles' ruining framerate and jsrs clogging up rpt files. The sad part is, they are reluctant to report issues and send rpts for you, they just disable the mod because it's too much of a hassle for them. This just happened in my coop community, we were using 1.4.3.

That's good to hear but I still see admins complaining about these 'vehicles' ruining framerate and jsrs clogging up rpt files. The sad part is, they are reluctant to report issues and send rpts for you, they just disable the mod because it's too much of a hassle for them. This just happened in my coop community, we were using 1.4.3.

Sounds like they are more lazy than anything else, also ignorance is bliss and honestly, you just can't fix stupid. I've never noticed a discernible difference on my server nor my locally hosted ones either, RPT logs, maybe, but everything and it's brother floods that thing anyways and nothing a simple search or any experienced server admin cannot or has not dealt with on a daily basis. Sorry if that seems brash or only partially applicable but honestly I have like 110 mods I load and his is by far one of the least intrusive to run and at the end of the day, I think the loss is theirs, or they just don't got the sound equipment or hearing left to even appreciate quality work in the first place. Again sorry if that is brash, I'm not too great on tact sadly and no offense is meant if there is any gotten from this.

Anyways, cheers Jarhead, -GREAT- mod it's one of my group's favorite additions!

Our squad is using JSRS since the begining and we NEVER had any Problems with 1.4.3. If something is going wrong on the server then it is either the fault of the server setup or of the mission played, or maybe of some other addon. JSRS is 100% MP friendly.

The MP RPT errors are there, however I don't know if there is a way to fix them. They are always reload sound related.

If the object used to initialise the scripts is created locally, then there's no problem with the servers. If it is global, then it wouldn't cause that many problems, but it isn't ideal.

Framerate isn't impacted that much, but it can lag the scripting engine. This means all commands are slower to run. Again, ideally this shouldn't be a problem on a server as long as the admin isn't pants on head retarded and is running the mod on the server too.

Sure, JSRS isn't perfect, but the issues are negligible unless you're problem solving.

The MP RPT errors are there, however I don't know if there is a way to fix them. They are always reload sound related.

If the object used to initialise the scripts is created locally, then there's no problem with the servers. If it is global, then it wouldn't cause that many problems, but it isn't ideal.

Framerate isn't impacted that much, but it can lag the scripting engine. This means all commands are slower to run. Again, ideally this shouldn't be a problem on a server as long as the admin isn't pants on head retarded and is running the mod on the server too.

Sure, JSRS isn't perfect, but the issues are negligible unless you're problem solving.

Thank you guys for your kind words!

Yes, JSRS 1.5 is totally client side only. So the script is running on YOUR computer, not on the server. The Admins will just have to allow the mod on the server, not run it on the server. Also I can say, there is quiet a difference compared to 1.4.3. So we can sit here, talk about how wonderful or terrible 1.4.3 is running on your admins servers and how they hate or love the mod, doesnt matter. 1.5 will be a new mod... and its far smoother, better, bigger... just a different mod. Like changing to another soundmod... to another game maybe^^

I experienced no change in the FPS rate so far, no drops, no increase. Based on the actual script I may have an idea how to increase it, but this would take further testings.

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

Just to compare (Yah, I was bored),

I was just opening the old JSRS 1.4.3 files to take a look into them to understand the way I edited the weapon ranges back in the days. And apparently I just edited 3 distance steps in 1.4.3. Just 3! Near, Mid and Far as they where named.

1.5 has 20 distance steps. Tail, Near, Near1, Near2, Near3, NearToMidBridge1, NearToMidBridge2, Mid, Mid1, Mid2, Mid3, MidToFarBridge1, MidToFarBridge2, Far, Far1, Far2, Far3, Far4, Far5 and Echo, the last step. The filesize of the distance.pbo went from 24MB to 147MB. The sound sample went from 204 sounds to unbelievable 1.470 sounds! We support 3 new weapon type, including the Gau8 (WIP, still need a lot of tweaking).

The total mod size went from 1.52GB to 1.83GB, from 684 files to 730 files.

Something happened I can say....

Sounds fantastic. Anyway, anyone with Grado headphones in their icon knows a thing or three about sound :cool: (Is that a GS 1000i?)

Sounds fantastic. Anyway, anyone with Grado headphones in their icon knows a thing or three about sound :cool: (Is that a GS 1000i?)

Yes, Grado GS1000 ;)

LJ

Yes, Grado GS1000 ;)
Lucky man. I've had the Sr-60, 80, 125, and still have an HF-1 (although, I must admit, I am partial to the Beyerdynamic 990s (2005 version) these days).

Looking forward to JSRS 1.5!!

Yes, Grado GS1000 ;)

LJ

Nice cans, i got a set of Audio Technica ATH-Ad700's currently, eye'ing the 900's in the near future.

Just to compare (Yah, I was bored),

I was just opening the old JSRS 1.4.3 files to take a look into them to understand the way I edited the weapon ranges back in the days. And apparently I just edited 3 distance steps in 1.4.3. Just 3! Near, Mid and Far as they where named.

1.5 has 20 distance steps. Tail, Near, Near1, Near2, Near3, NearToMidBridge1, NearToMidBridge2, Mid, Mid1, Mid2, Mid3, MidToFarBridge1, MidToFarBridge2, Far, Far1, Far2, Far3, Far4, Far5 and Echo, the last step. The filesize of the distance.pbo went from 24MB to 147MB. The sound sample went from 204 sounds to unbelievable 1.470 sounds! We support 3 new weapon type, including the Gau8 (WIP, still need a lot of tweaking).

The total mod size went from 1.52GB to 1.83GB, from 684 files to 730 files.

Something happened I can say....

YUS :D

Will the Gau8 have its awesome "fart" sound on distance?

Same for the M134 or the M197?

Another thing related to this, what about far explosion sounds for this kind of weapons?

Well, whatever.

I think, JSRS is by far the best Sound mod ever created for a game.

I hope you understand what you did there LJ.

You are like a legend now ^^

some references. the videos are nice to watch anyway =)

Edited by B1n4ry