What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

Heard about people (Admins) who dont want to allow JSRS on the server because JSRS-User would have an advantage compared to Vanilla-User. Which is totally corect. So my main point in the last days, was to recreate all sound ranges and distances for vehicle and sounds, to stop people of having advantages, because they can hear the enemy tank 3000 meters away instead of just 600... which is kinda stupid in my eyes, corze we have kind of a Military Base nearby (Around 3km) and when they drive around with those heavy Leopard 2 A6, I can hear them really well.... and can barely find some sleep^^ Especially when they start shooting their AA stuff or artillery and you can hear the shells flying over your head away^^

LJ

I wouldn't worry about that for several reasons:

1) Vanilla servers rarely allow sound mods anyway. They involve large sounds files and many PBOs which can allow hacks to be smuggled into the server. So JSRS and vanilla users won't often be in the same server, much less a PvP server where it will unbalance a game. PvP servers ALWAYS have very strict mode requirements.

2) Most servers where sound mods are allowed belong to clans. They have mod lists, and most every user is expected to be using some sound mod or other. If people want to use inferior vanilla sounds, that's their fault.

3) Don't put a few spoil-sport admins before the quality of your mod. All the players want it, and the players take their game to places where the rules are set up right.

Sorry my ONLY complaint is Volume Level... At 100% game volume and 100% PC volume, @JSRS is just too quiet....

Are you using headphones through a sound card? It might not be able to push your headphones properly if so. Consider getting a headphone amp.

Yah I hear ya mate,

this problem with the grounded HE Grenade is just because it normally explodes on contact to an object. But if you shoot it too short, the game says its still flying, so it keep playing the fly sound for HE grenades. And to defend my work: I had not much experience with HE Grenades when I made those sounds. I thought there must be some kind of noise when a HE is flying over your head away... so I tried to create a sound of a fast flying, rotating object (Yes I know, those HE don't rotate or any shit...) and that was the result. I thought it was really cool to hear this noise and know: Oh, there a HE flying, could kill me in a half second or someone else... so I lay down really fast now.

On that mortar problem, I guess its not only with the ACE mod, its a problem with Arma itself. Its the totally weird extreme "Doppler effect" Arma has for objects like HE rounds or Mortar shells. The received frequency is higher (compared to the emitted frequency) during the approach, it is identical at the instant of passing by, and it is lower during the recession.

Thats why you hear an click, click, click at the incoming, because the round is flying really fast in your direction so to say. Kinda sucks to find a decent way between weird clicks or slowly rumble^^ Guess I have to delete those options anyways.

Heard about people (Admins) who dont want to allow JSRS on the server because JSRS-User would have an advantage compared to Vanilla-User. Which is totally corect. So my main point in the last days, was to recreate all sound ranges and distances for vehicle and sounds, to stop people of having advantages, because they can hear the enemy tank 3000 meters away instead of just 600... which is kinda stupid in my eyes, corze we have kind of a Military Base nearby (Around 3km) and when they drive around with those heavy Leopard 2 A6, I can hear them really well.... and can barely find some sleep^^ Especially when they start shooting their AA stuff or artillery and you can hear the shells flying over your head away^^

LJ

No! One thing I really like about JSRS was that the sound ranges were much more realistic compared to Vanilla!

No! One thing I really like about JSRS was that the sound ranges were much more realistic compared to Vanilla!

I meant more like wheeled vehicles. Those are getting cut short a bit to get them more audible around 500 meters with the normal sounds and the distance sounds for them around 600 - 800 meters (depends on how big they are... BTR90 for example) (I wouldn't be LJ if I would not made distance sounds for vehicles as well [oooops... Too bad, now is the surprise burst:D:D ]). And I will do the same on Tanks. With higher values. Will try 1000 meters for distance sounds and a bit less for the real sound. All in all is it a matter of taste and I would have to do some tests (John, you in for that again? Bring your PS3 controller lol) before I change the values on tanks much (in mind of those distance sounds). But vesicles like Humvee or MTVR don't need to be audible around 1km I guess...

I will provide a decent list with all values for vehicles and sound ranges. So you guys can take a look and tell me what you think about that.

LJ

Sorry if this has been asked before but are you planning on making replacement sounds for the ACR weapons and or units LJ? I hope so, your mod totally makes ArmA II/OA that much more enjoyable.

I meant more like wheeled vehicles. Those are getting cut short a bit to get them more audible around 500 meters with the normal sounds and the distance sounds for them around 600 - 800 meters (depends on how big they are... BTR90 for example) (I wouldn't be LJ if I would not made distance sounds for vehicles as well [oooops... Too bad, now is the surprise burst:D:D ]). And I will do the same on Tanks. With higher values. Will try 1000 meters for distance sounds and a bit less for the real sound. All in all is it a matter of taste and I would have to do some tests (John, you in for that again? Bring your PS3 controller lol) before I change the values on tanks much (in mind of those distance sounds). But vesicles like Humvee or MTVR don't need to be audible around 1km I guess...

I will provide a decent list with all values for vehicles and sound ranges. So you guys can take a look and tell me what you think about that.

LJ

Puh I was really worried for a second. What you are doing sounds fine but test will have to show it. Count me in for testing if you need help with that.

I wouldn't worry about that for several reasons:

1) Vanilla servers rarely allow sound mods anyway. They involve large sounds files and many PBOs which can allow hacks to be smuggled into the server.

They do? Don't server keys prevent this?

2) Most servers where sound mods are allowed belong to clans. They have mod lists, and most every user is expected to be using some sound mod or other. If people want to use inferior vanilla sounds, that's their fault.

Absolutely - people need to realise that without JSRS they are only getting 70% of the game experience. Maybe you need to 'advertise' more so that the hordes of DayZ zombies newbies are aware that your mod exists (and is the de facto standard soundset for Arma2)?

3) Don't put a few spoil-sport admins before the quality of your mod. All the players want it, and the players take their game to places where the rules are set up right.

This ^

Edited by Mandrake5

Absolutely - people need to realise that without JSRS they are only getting 70% of the game experience. Maybe you need to 'advertise' more so that the hordes of DayZ zombies newbies are aware that your mod exists (and is the de facto standard soundset for Arma2)?

This ^

This X2 ^

And how shall I do that? I mean, I'm active here, in a German Arma Community (Arma2Base.de), in another BI-like forum (http://forum.365gaming.de), Facebook, YouTube... I'm not a blogger, I need to work on the mod also sometimes (plus 10hours of work a day, 6-7 hours of sleep... hmmmm) :D

If my mod is good and people like my work, I hope those players are doing the advertising... as they do with videos and tests on YouTube, with naming JSRS here and there in topics around the forums.

And about that DayZ part: I asked Rocket about a sound-mod just for DayZ... if he would be interested in that. Corze he said they cant allow sound-mods, those would destroy the DayZ Mod, which is totally correct. Different ranges of sound and all my script stuff would make this mod unplayable and unfair for vanilla user. So I thought about making a JSRS Version just for DayZ, without any extras, any scripts, any range-changes, totally vanilla config work, just different sound samples. But Rocket/+Team is not sure if he/they want a sound-mod for DayZ. And I can understand that.

I guess they are too busy with DayZ Mod and Updates, DayZ stand alone work and the Arma3 work plus all the fairs like Games-Com just a few days ago.

But hey, sort the forum topics by Views and Replies and see for your self, I don't think I need that much advertising. JSRS just need to be more user-friendly, more simple constructed. Its hard for some to even understand my patching style (ok, the last 1.4.3 is really easy to install I guess). So JSRS 1.5 should be the last and best JSRS, and the biggest sadly, I'm running 1.91GB of pbo's in my AddOns folder of JSRS mod. But I found a decent way to make the mod a bit smaller again, a little thing I could have thought about ages ago :S

LJ

Theoretically, and I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it's easier to hack by counterfeiting one small piece of a a hundred PBOs sized at over a gig, than by breaking into the vanilla game.

And how shall I do that? I mean, I'm active here, in a German Arma Community (Arma2Base.de), in another BI-like forum (http://forum.365gaming.de), Facebook, YouTube... I'm not a blogger, I need to work on the mod also sometimes (plus 10hours of work a day, 6-7 hours of sleep... hmmmm) :D

If my mod is good and people like my work, I hope those players are doing the advertising... as they do with videos and tests on YouTube, with naming JSRS here and there in topics around the forums.

Sorry LJ, I didn't mean to imply that you should be working harder 'marketing' JSRS; I should've said that we as a community should find more, clearer ways to promote it to the 100,000s of brand new Arma players who have recently joined the community to play DayZ, of whom many are also now discovering vanilla Arma2 as a 'new' game.

I don't think just leaving it to the forums is enough coverage; many new players won't spend much time here without a specific reason to visit.

IDEA: encourage all server admins who allow the mod (i.e. the good ones ;) ) to add JSRS Soundmod to their server names? That way Mr or Ms Daisy F. Noober will see in the browser many servers keep mentioning a certain soundmod..."hmm, maybe I ought to go check it out?" Just a thought?

Theoretically, and I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it's easier to hack by counterfeiting one small piece of a a hundred PBOs sized at over a gig, than by breaking into the vanilla game.

So? Lets take a closer look on that: imagine someone is looking for those small pbo's in a mod, he could also use ACE, which has also really small files in theire AddOns folder. And this mod is by far more available on more server around the web. So I guess if someone would like to hack into the game, they would use ACE more likely, or? If not, I cant tell you how to prevent those hacks. I mean, there is no pbo security except the sign's and keys. If that is not enough, I dont care anyways. Ar there so many hacks, really? I dont think I can pack all JSRS content into one pbo, which would be more then one and a half GIG^^

Sorry LJ, I didn't mean to imply that you should be working harder 'marketing' JSRS; I should've said that we as a community should find more, clearer ways to promote it to the 100,000s of brand new Arma players who have recently joined the community to play DayZ, of whom many are also now discovering vanilla Arma2 as a 'new' game.

I don't think just leaving it to the forums is enough coverage; many new players won't spend much time here without a specific reason to visit.

IDEA: encourage all server admins who allow the mod (i.e. the good ones ;) ) to add JSRS Soundmod to their server names? That way Mr or Ms Daisy F. Noober will see in the browser many servers keep mentioning a certain soundmod..."hmm, maybe I ought to go check it out?" Just a thought?

I dont think its my way to get around and beg some Admins to rename their server^^ That would be your job :) If your ask the admin of the server you are playing on... would make more sense^^

LJ

So? Lets take a closer look on that: imagine someone is looking for those small pbo's in a mod, he could also use ACE, which has also really small files in theire AddOns folder. And this mod is by far more available on more server around the web. So I guess if someone would like to hack into the game, they would use ACE more likely, or? If not, I cant tell you how to prevent those hacks. I mean, there is no pbo security except the sign's and keys. If that is not enough, I dont care anyways. Ar there so many hacks, really? I dont think I can pack all JSRS content into one pbo, which would be more then one and a half GIG^^

They can use any mod, and the bigger and more complex the better.

Note that most public servers run vanilla, and mods are for communities who trust their members.

They involve large sounds files and many PBOs which can allow hacks to be smuggled into the server.

What.

As long as jarheads private key is kept secret, there's no way to "smuggle" a fake pbo on to the server.

It's possible with other programs but that has nothing to do with V2 signatures and would be as easy on a vanilla server as it would be on a modded server.

What.

As long as jarheads private key is kept secret, there's no way to "smuggle" a fake pbo on to the server.

It's possible with other programs but that has nothing to do with V2 signatures and would be as easy on a vanilla server as it would be on a modded server.

Right. So I will change the keys anyways for 1.5. I do this with every new version. And this is honestly everything I will do about secrurity. And with 1.4.3 we are running with V2 keys already, never heard about such hacks because of the use of JSRS on the server.

LJ

So,

here I have a small list of vehicles and their audible ranges with 1.5:

Wheeled Vehicles:

ATV - Sound: 250m | Distance-Sound: 400m

BRDM - Sound: 450m | Distance-Sound: 700m

BTR40 - Sound: 400m | Distance-Sound: 650m

BTR60 - Sound: 500m | Distance-Sound: 750m

BTR90 - Sound: 500m | Distance-Sound: 800m

Humvee - Sound: 350m | Distance-Sound: 550m

Jackel - Sound: 400m | Distance-Sound: 600m

Kamaz (Russian Truck) - Sound: 350m | Distance-Sound: 600m

MTVR - Sound: 300m | Distance-Sound: 500m

Moto - Sound: 250m | Distance-Sound: 400m

Rover - Sound: 360m | Distance-Sound: 560m

Stryker - Sound: 350m | Distance-Sound: 650m

SUV - Sound: 300m | Distance-Sound: 450m

UAZ - Sound: 300m | Distance-Sound: 450m

Ural - Sound: 300m | Distance-Sound: 500m

Vodnik - Sound: 400m | Distance-Sound: 650m

Vs35 - Sound: 300m | Distance-Sound: 500m

Tracked Vehicles:

2s6m - Sound: 600m | Distance-Sound: 1000m

AAVP - Sound: 500m | Distance-Sound: 900m

Abrams - Sound: 300m | Distance-Sound: 700m

BMP2 - Sound: 550m | Distance-Sound: 1000m

BMP3 - Sound: 600m | Distance-Sound: 1100m

Bradley - Sound: 500m | Distance-Sound: 800m

M270 - Sound: 550m | Distance-Sound: 800m

T34 - Sound: 600m | Distance-Sound: 1000m

T55 - Sound: 500m | Distance-Sound: 950m

T72 - Sound: 600m | Distance-Sound: 1100m

T90 - Sound: 600m | Distance-Sound: 1000m

Warrior - Sound: 500m | Distance-Sound: 800m

Zsu23 - Sound: 600m | Distance-Sound: 1000m

Those distance sounds are nothing else than a muffled driving sounds of the vehicle. To create this effect I dont need any script, this is done by config work, there is no hit on performance or anything, its just like before, just a little trick. After the vehicle reached the normal sound distance the sound fades into a muffled engine/driving sound. This makes a upcoming vehicle much more natural and also kinda hard for a fast identification of that vehicles which makes it more interesting at least.

Tell me what you think about those ranges. The main thing is to keep Arma in mind, as it is. 1000 meters for a tank in real life it not much as we all know. You can still hear it 5km away if the weather is playing right. But in Arma its different. You cant maybe even see a vehicle that far, or identify it. But I was thinking about changing those values and increase them a bit more. Just maybe about 500 meter or more for the distance sounds. I will stay with those normal ranges for "Sound" because it sounds much more natural and realistic when the sound will not play right away with its very high frequencies, characteristics and peaks. Its cool to hear a muffled, low pitched frequency sound when the Tank is driving just some streets ahead of the player and suddenly turns around the corner and you hear the full power. ;)

So, what do you think? There is still alot of time to change those values asap ;)

LJ

LJ,

I'm no sound guy, and I appreciate all the work you put into this.

The ranges you speak of, is that something that has to be set, or can you have "floating" ranges based on say view distance settings?

I guess what I'm getting at is, the guy with the kick a$$ computer may have view distance set at 5000, where as the guy with the "needs an update or two" computer may have view distance set at 1500...

Is there any way to base the sound off of this to take full advantage of your sound mod, or am I thinking about this wrong?

A sound ratio equivalent to view distance...

That doesn't really make sense. Fog doesn't block sound, and almost everyone has VD over 2000, which is farther than most sounds travel...

You rock LJ Looking foward to your next release. :-) Thanks for all the hard work! :-)

That doesn't really make sense. Fog doesn't block sound, and almost everyone has VD over 2000, which is farther than most sounds travel...

+1 VD should not influence sound range. In fact quite the opposite, hearing a vehicle long before you can see it is quite common in areas where visibility is reduced, e.g. cities, forests, certain valleys

So,

here I have a small list of vehicles and their audible ranges with 1.5:

Wheeled Vehicles:

ATV - Sound: 250m | Distance-Sound: 400m

BRDM - Sound: 450m | Distance-Sound: 700m

BTR40 - Sound: 400m | Distance-Sound: 650m

BTR60 - Sound: 500m | Distance-Sound: 750m

BTR90 - Sound: 500m | Distance-Sound: 800m

Humvee - Sound: 350m | Distance-Sound: 550m

Jackel - Sound: 400m | Distance-Sound: 600m

Kamaz (Russian Truck) - Sound: 350m | Distance-Sound: 600m

MTVR - Sound: 300m | Distance-Sound: 500m

Moto - Sound: 250m | Distance-Sound: 400m

Rover - Sound: 360m | Distance-Sound: 560m

Stryker - Sound: 350m | Distance-Sound: 650m

SUV - Sound: 300m | Distance-Sound: 450m

UAZ - Sound: 300m | Distance-Sound: 450m

Ural - Sound: 300m | Distance-Sound: 500m

Vodnik - Sound: 400m | Distance-Sound: 650m

Vs35 - Sound: 300m | Distance-Sound: 500m

Tracked Vehicles:

2s6m - Sound: 600m | Distance-Sound: 1000m

AAVP - Sound: 500m | Distance-Sound: 900m

Abrams - Sound: 300m | Distance-Sound: 700m

BMP2 - Sound: 550m | Distance-Sound: 1000m

BMP3 - Sound: 600m | Distance-Sound: 1100m

Bradley - Sound: 500m | Distance-Sound: 800m

M270 - Sound: 550m | Distance-Sound: 800m

T34 - Sound: 600m | Distance-Sound: 1000m

T55 - Sound: 500m | Distance-Sound: 950m

T72 - Sound: 600m | Distance-Sound: 1100m

T90 - Sound: 600m | Distance-Sound: 1000m

Warrior - Sound: 500m | Distance-Sound: 800m

Zsu23 - Sound: 600m | Distance-Sound: 1000m

Those distance sounds are nothing else than a muffled driving sounds of the vehicle. To create this effect I dont need any script, this is done by config work, there is no hit on performance or anything, its just like before, just a little trick. After the vehicle reached the normal sound distance the sound fades into a muffled engine/driving sound. This makes a upcoming vehicle much more natural and also kinda hard for a fast identification of that vehicles which makes it more interesting at least.

Tell me what you think about those ranges. The main thing is to keep Arma in mind, as it is. 1000 meters for a tank in real life it not much as we all know. You can still hear it 5km away if the weather is playing right. But in Arma its different. You cant maybe even see a vehicle that far, or identify it. But I was thinking about changing those values and increase them a bit more. Just maybe about 500 meter or more for the distance sounds. I will stay with those normal ranges for "Sound" because it sounds much more natural and realistic when the sound will not play right away with its very high frequencies, characteristics and peaks. Its cool to hear a muffled, low pitched frequency sound when the Tank is driving just some streets ahead of the player and suddenly turns around the corner and you hear the full power. ;)

So, what do you think? There is still alot of time to change those values asap ;)

LJ

make a quick and dirty video showcasing the current effect (Tracked; use T-72; and wheeled; Btr-90)

That way we will be able to tell you how good it is and if you should adjust it^^

GREAT LJ :o

Thanks Steeve, oh and btw, you got a position as Source Investigator on JSRS FB ;) If this is ok for you, just let me know, if not, same ;)

Thanks for your help over all the last months mate, you've been a great help to me and JSRS ;)

LJ

JSRS Sound - Mrap RG31 by ExplosiveAids (EXA) and Stiltman

BstlrdkpdeU?hd=1

The new sounds for the Mrap RG31 by ExplosiveAids (EXA) and Stiltman made by JSRS.

Enjoy.

LJ