What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

Regarding Environment:

1. The sounds are quite good

2. Don´t make them louder!

3. The Sounds are played to often, make them play less so that they don´t become too repetitive. A moment of silence is nice too^^

Regarding Intro:

1. Great Design

2. Try to record a nice distant firefight and mix it into the soundtrack. It may sound good and fit your Mod better than a pure orchestral tune.

Regarding Environment:

3. The Sounds are played to often, make them play less so that they don´t become too repetitive. A moment of silence is nice too^^

Not sure about the brand new night stuff, but I have been using the environment sounds for quite a long time now and have not been bothered by any "repetitiveness" factor with the sounds, personally. In a video you might notice it more than in actual missions with friends and concentrating elsewhere, thus the environment sounds really don't sound repetitive at all when playing.

Lets say: You go through a forest in deep night and some of you my like it the way it is already: Quiet, not much things to hear than some wolfs, or owls or what ever.

Unfortunately this is kind of a limitation of the current engine. We have a "night" parameter that obviously lasts from dusk till dawn. Real bird sounds can't be programmed using this, as they are hyperactive in the late night/pre dawn. I live right next to a "forest", and the noise they make at these times are sometimes unbearable. Pretty sure they're just mocking those who can't sleep :p

Not sure about environment sounds, especially the last couple of night ones sounded really really off. Maybe suitable for a fantasy role playing game (that "weird fog" sound or whatever it was), but not for something that tries to portray realism. I guess it would work wonders for DayZ though, where it would be fitting with this "scary" atmosphere. The rest, although a bit minimalistic, was pretty good. Think I'll still use my own though, guess that's just a matter of stupid old pride kicking in :D

Yah Carl,

the creepy sounds dont fit into arma, I know that. This is a bonus. Its not enabled in the mod, people would have to do that. If they would like those sounds in night for a certain type of mission or what ever. ;)

Love the sounds.

Love the MOD (I have been using it forever!!)

Dont raise the volume in mod - sounds just right to me.

WHen will 1.5 be released?

And another one:

YhVXGxfCqiM?hd=1

This time, Footsteps!

The new movement sounds are just lovely in my opinion. Felt in love with those recordings as soon as I heard the recording result. Now those are in JSRS 1.5. I took especially care about those "jeans sounds" you can hear after the steps which makes it much more natural.

And yeah, dont mention the FPS problem again, those were some of the last old Fraps recordings, so I will update to Dxtory soon.

Thanks for watching, enjoy, like, comment and subscribe ;)

I like those movement sounds. Really well done, can't wait for 1.5. :)

Talking about those creep sounds: Here is an example how someone could use them:

6Gl799jmtRo?hd=1

Beside of JSRS, I'm also working on other stuff.

Other sounds for other mods, games and so on. And I wanted to create a short movie since along time now. So here we go.

Enjoy. This movie is only for the Audio creation.

The story is short (Well, its not really a story^^) and the reason for him to go into the forest is also .... unknown. He just had to go there...^^

Ok, let me know what you think of this. And dont be to hard, its my first "movie" I did so far. Many little things I would have to tweak till its perfect. But its a good start :D

Really good, love it. I think the all the sounds are perfect! :D

Arma Wake :)

Basically, this reminds me of this old horror movie called "The Evil Dead". No wonder why the movie's working title was "Within the woods". Well done Jarhead!

Edited by HuxFluxD-Luxe

Hi mate!

it could be wrong, but i´m very unsteady, a little bit confused about the samples and it´s hard for me to judge...

Why so, because i miss your, the "Jarhead´s" specific and personal touch, that characterizes your sound, the reserved entry of the sound...it´s very difficult to discribe an emotial feeling, but i think you know what i´m talking about? :)

Partly it´s overdone...to much "new", like searching for an extra, but is it needed?

I like it in a fragile suit, the trademark from Lord Jarhead, awesome, but not flushy, like an symphony with a silent note.

Sorry for that emotial outing, but that´s me! :)

Cheers and keep it up your awesome work you´re the best buddy.

McLupo

I really genuinely hope people aren't nitpicking LJ's work because suddenly his video has a bit more "Flash" and "Drama" to it, that somehow how a video intro is done reflects on the actual work? There is no loss of any Jarhead in the mod. He states new, simply because the fact that the sounds ARE new and that with all the progress and new features of the final JSRS, that it is not only new but the best version--especially by the leaps and bounds the mod has progressed and improved when others thought it was impossible (especially with new features that others thought would drain performance considerably or wouldn't work, period.). Thus, there is no deception, no being overly-flashy or over done, no loss of being true JSRS, but simply stating exactly what the new and final JSRS is--albeit in a more fun and epic manner. I do agree, LJ doesn't need to prove his skills and his work speaks for itself and bears witness to the high quality work he does, but at the same time for the final version there is nothing wrong with trying to experiment and have some fun making the videos as well.

In the end, cut him some slack about the video direction, but moreover please don't think how a video is made has any bearing on the quality of 1.5, because you are poorly mistaken. ;)

Hi mate!

it could be wrong, but i´m very unsteady, a little bit confused about the samples and it´s hard for me to judge...

Why so, because i miss your, the "Jarhead´s" specific and personal touch, that characterizes your sound, the reserved entry of the sound...it´s very difficult to discribe an emotial feeling, but i think you know what i´m talking about? :)

Partly it´s overdone...to much "new", like searching for an extra, but is it needed?

I like it in a fragile suit, the trademark from Lord Jarhead, awesome, but not flushy, like an symphony with a silent note.

Sorry for that emotial outing, but that´s me! :)

Cheers and keep it up your awesome work you´re the best buddy.

McLupo

I really genuinely hope people aren't nitpicking LJ's work because suddenly his video has a bit more "Flash" and "Drama" to it, that somehow how a video intro is done reflects on the actual work? There is no loss of any Jarhead in the mod. He states new, simply because the fact that the sounds ARE new and that with all the progress and new features of the final JSRS, that it is not only new but the best version--especially by the leaps and bounds the mod has progressed and improved when others thought it was impossible (especially with new features that others thought would drain performance considerably or wouldn't work, period.). Thus, there is no deception, no being overly-flashy or over done, no loss of being true JSRS, but simply stating exactly what the new and final JSRS is--albeit in a more fun and epic manner. I do agree, LJ doesn't need to prove his skills and his work speaks for itself and bears witness to the high quality work he does, but at the same time for the final version there is nothing wrong with trying to experiment and have some fun making the videos as well.

In the end, cut him some slack about the video direction, but moreover please don't think how a video is made has any bearing on the quality of 1.5, because you are poorly mistaken. ;)

To cut a long story short my dear McLupo: All sounds you heard in the last "Into the Forest" video, have nothing to do with JSRS. There is not even ONE Sound of JSRS in it. All the reason of making this video was totally beside JSRS. And I only posted that video in here to give some of the earlier posts about the Creep sounds an expression. To show them, what someone could do with those sounds or experience in a mission. Dont worry, McLupo, JSRS is still what it suppose to be... the represents of my taste of sound for such a game like Arma2. Of course its growing. And of course there are so many new sounds and things to experience. But that is the way I wanted to go with JSRS. Yah, I could have stopped after 1.4.3, call it done... I couldn't fight it long enough and would just start some Audio work again... just for the fun. So I kept working on JSRS. And yes, many things sounds new and different, but thats just because the quality did also grow... higher performance programs, better quality equipments, of course it is different than the work I did before... but trust me, I will do what ever I can to keep JSRS as it is... good quality sounds with the best "Jarhead touch" :D

@Yokhanan: Thanks John for pointing that out again ;) As you said, this video had nothing to do with the JSRS mod. It was just a project besides JSRS.

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

Hello LJ, Hello John!

... i´m sorry for my mistake, because your explanations set it in the right position. I'm relieved to hear that. Thanks for that!

But i´m confused, because you used the "surreal" audiotrack, at the end of the environment-vid, as a public sample and i thought in the wrong direction. :)

You could read it in my short report..., but to prevend this mistakes, it would be nice to read something in the J.S.R.S. Usergroup?

Thanks alot once again, my friend!!

Sincerly

McLupo

I suspect that you've already fixed this, but I think the sounds of grenades in flight should be removed.

There is no reason that a small round object flying at low speeds should make a repeated soft 'crackling' sound. Currently if you shoot an M203 into the ground at your feet, you will hear it sputtering like it has some sort of small electric motor or even bird wings. I get how you're supposed to hear the sound once when it flies overhead (but what is this sound supposed to be?), but the engine plays it over and over again while the grenade is sitting on the ground. This problem also occurs with ACE mortars. The incoming round goes click, click, click, click a dozen times before impact, and the sound is audible from several hundred meters.

Sometimes the engine just doesn't handle sounds correctly. Like with the scream of an incoming mortar, you hear the sound as the firer, when the round is still airborne, and kilometers away. Incoming artillery sounds get there far before the sound of the explosion itself

Ok as per your advice, I removed @ACEX_SM. And after a couple SP missions I did notice that some sounds just disappeared. Now, this was with @ACE+@ACEX, however, things like action sounds, IE dragging, and other interaction sounds were just gone. And as soon as @ACEX_SM was back so were they... Although i loose some of the ambience and Echo from not removing ACEX_SM. It was also evedient that some sounds were mission from JSRS. I can't pin point all of them. as I only played a couple of missions before I installed @ACEX_SM again. But there were silent actions and I, well, didnt like it. I also noticed that some unites when walking, you would only hear One foot step... the other would be silent... I dont know if that was directly related but... yea I still cant wait till the next installment!!

And about the sound level... I have never gone to a gun range or gone shooting with out having to put in ear plugs... Now, even though this is a Game.. It is a MilSim and to that effect I would like to Hear the effects.. If i have my EFFECTS volume on 100% .. I WANT TO GO DEF... that being said with just @JSRS... its toooooooo quiet on 100% effects volume... just to quiet!! with out @JSRS i have to turn it down to 90% or its just a tad to loud.. but with @JSRS, I had to turn it up to 100% and still was not satisfied.. If you could allow the users to set their personal volume level with the Adjustment slider inGame that would be best.... How do you do that?!?!?! By make the sounds as, LOUD AS POSSIBLE, so the user turns them down, OR UP to the appropriate level, that they desire...

Sorry my ONLY complaint is Volume Level... At 100% game volume and 100% PC volume, @JSRS is just too quiet....

THANKS FOR THE MOD, Gonna go use it now!@!

Edited by Lordprimate

Yah I hear ya mate,

this problem with the grounded HE Grenade is just because it normally explodes on contact to an object. But if you shoot it too short, the game says its still flying, so it keep playing the fly sound for HE grenades. And to defend my work: I had not much experience with HE Grenades when I made those sounds. I thought there must be some kind of noise when a HE is flying over your head away... so I tried to create a sound of a fast flying, rotating object (Yes I know, those HE don't rotate or any shit...) and that was the result. I thought it was really cool to hear this noise and know: Oh, there a HE flying, could kill me in a half second or someone else... so I lay down really fast now.

On that mortar problem, I guess its not only with the ACE mod, its a problem with Arma itself. Its the totally weird extreme "Doppler effect" Arma has for objects like HE rounds or Mortar shells. The received frequency is higher (compared to the emitted frequency) during the approach, it is identical at the instant of passing by, and it is lower during the recession.

Thats why you hear an click, click, click at the incoming, because the round is flying really fast in your direction so to say. Kinda sucks to find a decent way between weird clicks or slowly rumble^^ Guess I have to delete those options anyways.

Heard about people (Admins) who dont want to allow JSRS on the server because JSRS-User would have an advantage compared to Vanilla-User. Which is totally corect. So my main point in the last days, was to recreate all sound ranges and distances for vehicle and sounds, to stop people of having advantages, because they can hear the enemy tank 3000 meters away instead of just 600... which is kinda stupid in my eyes, corze we have kind of a Military Base nearby (Around 3km) and when they drive around with those heavy Leopard 2 A6, I can hear them really well.... and can barely find some sleep^^ Especially when they start shooting their AA stuff or artillery and you can hear the shells flying over your head away^^

LJ

I WANT TO GO DEF...

Sorry my ONLY complaint is Volume Level... At 100% game volume and 100% PC volume, @JSRS is just too quiet....

Well there's your problem right there--you are going deaf. I have in-game sounds set to 100 and when I go full power on my headset my eardrums feel like they are about to rupture. If you're jamming everything up full blast everywhere and still thinking it's really quiet, then maybe it's time to go see a doctor and check your hearing. ;) :p

Make sure you do not have any volume levelling enabled (smart-volume or something like that).

Well there's your problem right there--you are going deaf. I have in-game sounds set to 100 and when I go full power on my headset my eardrums feel like they are about to rupture. If you're jamming everything up full blast everywhere and still thinking it's really quiet, then maybe it's time to go see a doctor and check your hearing. ;) :p

LIKED! :D

Yap, I can confirm that. When I play, I need to set my ingame effects level at around 40% to understand the people in TS, and even then its hard to understand anything, when a AH64 or A10 flies over your head away ;) It might be a problem with your HeadSet or Hardware, but I can assure you: This is not normal. I had so many reports of being too loud with that mod... but never something like that matey :D

Still, thanks for your opinion. I know what you mean about those Menu Clicking sounds, but those are not Vanilla Arma2. ACE seems to added those click noises or what so ever with their SM. I just cover normal Arma2 sounds, and there were never such menu sounds i guess...

LJ