What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

INFO:

Had an Idea, not sure if this is good or not. Thinking about this while working on the distance sounds today. Lets say: If you have FPS issues and your fps drops under 20 or less, you maybe expirience weird sounding errors in relation to the firstperson sounds.

Those sounds will be played with each shot of your gun. If your system is slow and your FPS rate drops really hard, it might be, that the shot sound and the firstperson sound wont play simultaneously. That might sounds strange to some of you (me included^^). So to let people with lowend PC's playing with this mod without any of these issues, I will offer you another versions of the mod.

HighEnd: Complete JSRS Distancescript with 6 gradations in range, first will get in at around 150meters. Full fps Script. If you have a decent System and you can run atleast 20 fps and ore, you should be fine with that ;)

LowEnd: No JSRS Distancescipt nor FPS Script. Normal weapon sounds will be audible around 1500 -3500 meters (Handheld 1500, bigger weapons like M2 or Sabot 3500). This is the best I can do to keep your system running stable enough to play with JSRS.

But aware, I'm not sure if this may cause trouble for multiplayer. The audible ranges of each selection will be the same, of course. But the normal weapon sounds of the LowEnd wont have a decent delay since Arma is not really able to create such delays. The Scipt of the first and the second selection will have this delay, which is created by the script.

Of course the audible expirience wont be that great without the script and such stuff. It wont sounds as good as it should. But this will make you able to play with JSRS.. if you have an issue with the FPS or Distance sounds.

lj2i.png

I don't like that idea, because my system is on a boarder between low and high.

I can run ArmA 2 with an avg. of 22-28 FPS

Problem is, that i drop sometimes under the 20 FPS mark (especially in Woods and/or with ACE)

I actually enjoy your distance script and its running really well on my system, even with ACE, ACRE and so on.

But if i cant run the HighEnd version (which i would prefer of course) i have to switch to the LowEnd version, which does not have the distance script, which is actually working fine for me.

So, if you gonna split up the Mod, i would say make 3 parts.

HighEnd: Includes all Sounds + all features of JSRS

LowEnd: All JSRS Sounds + Distance Script (+ Unit Sounds?)

Lite: ONLY Sounds, no features

This would be my suggestion, i hope you got my point xD

I've never had FPS problems with the Distance Script on my low end PC, so I see no reason to disable it. Do you know how to make modules to disable the FPS sounds?

I think it's a good idea to have some version of JSRS without scripts, as then I guess CBA wouldn't be needed and I've found (I think, hard to be sure) that CBA breaks some missions/campaigns, so at least users will still be able to use the sounds of JSRS with those missions.

Never seen a mission break due to CBA. CBA should be the standard for everything - as it opens up so many possibilities.

Never seen a mission break due to CBA. CBA should be the standard for everything - as it opens up so many possibilities.

I can't be sure as it's a while since I did it but I think I tried some of the Campaign with only JSRS and CBA and it didn't work (i.e. I couldn't complete the mission because things were missing/didn't trigger, etc).

Well, to inform you abit more: Alot of things happened with the script system and all that features we trying to implement just fine, but I can tell you, the actuall script is running far more smoothly than the old 1.4 script you run actually. If you may have issues with the scripts now, those problems can even be fixed maybe. Its not worse, its much better... in sound as in peformance. I was just thinking about offering a non-scripted version for those, who may not like the scriptings, the distance sounds or the FPS stuff.

So, a non-scripted version will be there for sure. But another lowEnd version... hmmm. Problem is, the distancescipt and the FPS script running within the same script.sqm, so we would have to split those scripts in two to get rid of the fps sounds and vice versa.

Also never heard about issues with CBA. Well, only thing I can say, and I totally speak for myself here, is, that I expirienced alot of RPT's while running with CBA. Saying something about EventHandler which I cant understand anyways^^ But those are not related to JSRS!!!! Thats the only important thing to me.

I can't be sure as it's a while since I did it but I think I tried some of the Campaign with only JSRS and CBA and it didn't work (i.e. I couldn't complete the mission because things were missing/didn't trigger, etc).

I wouldnt blame CBA for that, more likely JSRS messed something up though. Well, played the whole campaign with CBA, JSRS, ACE and a couple of other mods. Weird thing: The Operation Arrowhead Campaign didnt worked so good as well... I not even made it through the first mission there. You drive undercover in the SUV and a T72 is coming your way. But the problem is, that the turret was aiming at something to his left, so the SUV crashed always into the turret barrel and the car goes up in flames^^

lj2i.png

I wouldnt blame CBA for that, more likely JSRS messed something up though. Well, played the whole campaign with CBA, JSRS, ACE and a couple of other mods. Weird thing: The Operation Arrowhead Campaign didnt worked so good as well... I not even made it through the first mission there. You drive undercover in the SUV and a T72 is coming your way. But the problem is, that the turret was aiming at something to his left, so the SUV crashed always into the turret barrel and the car goes up in flames^^

Yeah, it's the OA Campaign I played and I ran into that same bug, although I couldn't say for sure which mods I had enabled at the time. Later missions also did wierd things with mods, like enemies completely missing making it rather easy, or targets missing so that I couldn't kill them and finish the mission!

When i try to run JSRS 1.4.3 it says jsrs_distance needs event_handler addon and then when i load into game it says m16A2 no display name.

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong? I am running vanilla without any other addons.

Well LJ you decide. But if you say that the new version runs better than the current one then there should be no need for a seperate addon. There were no people complaining that JSRS wasn't running ok (those who complained had their sample rate set to something lower than 128)

When i try to run JSRS 1.4.3 it says jsrs_distance needs event_handler addon and then when i load into game it says m16A2 no display name.

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong? I am running vanilla without any other addons.

Yeah, you need the CBA mod (and CBA_A2 and CBA_OA assuming you're running CO).

Is it possible to run event handlers (for distance script), and JSRS without CBA?

Is it possible to run event handlers (for distance script), and JSRS without CBA?

And that was the point of all the talking the last few posts^^ Yes, 1.5 will have an JSRS non-scripted version and you wont need any CBA for JSRS.

@Tonci: Yeh, its running far more smoothly than before. ts a bit cleaned up and runs just fine, had no issues so far (Instead of this stupid fadingproblem of the normal sounds which cant be fixed most likelay :( ).

LJ

And that was the point of all the talking the last few posts^^ Yes, 1.5 will have an JSRS non-scripted version and you wont need any CBA for JSRS.

LJ

Woohoo! when are you hoping to release 1.5? :D

Wrong question mate. ^^

Maybe you should try "How much work remains until you can release it"

It might be done already, but you have to know: I like to try many new things and test them, change them again and again. I have a to do list still, and when I look at it.... it might be 60 - 75% done. And I'm working on it, every day. No ETA yet. But soon...

lj2i.png

It might be done already, but you have to know: I like to try many new things and test them, change them again and again. I have a to do list still, and when I look at it.... it might be 60 - 75% done. And I'm working on it, every day. No ETA yet. But soon...

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2905/lj2i.png

Thank you in advance for your hard work LJ It is very appreciated by alot of people :) and take your time, masterpieces take time.

The distance script is running with 555 sounds in total right now. 7/+1 different distances have been made so far: Fisrt (for Fistperson only, so no distance), direct tail, near, mid, far, far2, far3, and echo (was basicly made for direct echo after the shot but "tail" took its place, so I made as most far away sounds). Now again, its up to me find the best values to make them fit. At the moment the tail sounds coming in at 70 meters. There is no pop, just a tail to make them more audible for the next distance sound. Then ext one steps in at 220m, 440m, 660m, 880m, 1100m and 1300m. The last one starts at 1300m and goes up to 2000m by normal handheld weapons and 3500m meters for vehicle weapons or giant sniper rifles^^

Just a side note.

Thanks ;)

lj2i.png

Just wow. That has to be a giant amount of work....

I was playing a custom mission the other day that a friend made, where you watch the AI fight it out in Vyshnoye from the castle on the hill. The distance cracks and gunfire sounded so epic. I can't really imagine playing ArmA 2 without this mod now.

The distance script is running with 555 sounds in total right now. 7/+1 different distances have been made so far: Fisrt (for Fistperson only, so no distance), direct tail, near, mid, far, far2, far3, and echo (was basicly made for direct echo after the shot but "tail" took its place, so I made as most far away sounds). Now again, its up to me find the best values to make them fit. At the moment the tail sounds coming in at 70 meters. There is no pop, just a tail to make them more audible for the next distance sound. Then ext one steps in at 220m, 440m, 660m, 880m, 1100m and 1300m. The last one starts at 1300m and goes up to 2000m by normal handheld weapons and 3500m meters for vehicle weapons or giant sniper rifles^^

Just a side note.

Thanks ;)

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2905/lj2i.png

How do you have so many tiers of distance without using scripts? that's amazing!

How do you have so many tiers of distance without using scripts? that's amazing!

Ehhhh, what?

"The distance script is running with 555 sounds in total right now. 7/+1 different distances have been made so far: Fisrt (for Fistperson only, so no distance), direct tail, near, mid, far, far2, far3, and echo (was basicly made for direct echo after the shot but "tail" took its place, so I made as most far away sounds). Now again, its up to me find the best values to make them fit. At the moment the tail sounds coming in at 70 meters. There is no pop, just a tail to make them more audible for the next distance sound. Then ext one steps in at 220m, 440m, 660m, 880m, 1100m and 1300m. The last one starts at 1300m and goes up to 2000m by normal handheld weapons and 3500m meters for vehicle weapons or giant sniper rifles^^"

There is no way doing that without the script sadly ;) The JSRS non-scripted version will have no features like those. No FPS Sound, no Distance sounds, no gear sounds depending on gear selection. Just a basic soundmod without any need of CBA.

lj2i.png

Dear LordJarhead... Because of you ... I shat my pants, you owe me two scoopps of laundry detergent and a few cups of dignity.....

I thoroughly enjoy this mod. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND EFFORT !!!

I have a question about Loading order.. if you can advise me i would appreciate it...

Am I suppose to, Remove, @ACE_SM.. from the launch list???

I never had... then one day i tried it and WOW ...

I thought that JSRS was overwriting and taking precident.. but after removing @ACE_SM, I could obviously see that @ACE_SM was still taking priority over @JSRS in many ways... They did seem to work in tandum but, yea it was kinda clear that @ACE_SM was still the major player in the sound...

So?? Is it advised to remove @ACE_SM from the launch list when running @JSRS, with ACE???

Again THANKS FOR THE AWESOME MOD... and i cant wait till 1.5...

PS you ever want to release a alfa/beta? Im On it!!

Thanks mate,

hope you can enjoy your time with JSRS abit longer before you die a painful heart attack ;)

Yah, disable ACE_SM, you should always run ONE Soundmod the same time, otherwise those strange things will happen....

lj2i.png