What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

What are the correct parameters for this?

@ACE;@ACEX;@JSRS;@JSRS_ACE

or

@JSRS;@JSRS_ACE;@ACE;@ACEX

Doesnt matter in this case. If you run another soundmod, you should put the one you wanna use "more" at last in loadorder. But at the moment I would recommend: @JSRS;@ACE;@ACEX;@JSRS_ACE. So in any case JSRS is causing some issues, ACE should be running fine at least.

LJ

Ok guys,

slowly but surely I start working again on this. Had to take some time for anything here in RL, so I have some more time in future now ;)

LJ

Great to hear, absolutely love your sound mod!

LJ I guess this is the new Version

it sounds fantastic, only the footstep sounds on concrete that can be heard at 27:51 are a little bit to loud. Tone them down 5-10% and it will be perfect.

I'm pretty sure that's actually just JSRS mixed with ACE_SM. The bullet impacts, sonic cracks and (probably) AKMs are from ACE.

There cant be videos about the 1.5 in the net instead of those I posted, so as maturin said, might be a mixed version. Not the new version.

LJ

Yeah, but Jarhead's bullethits are so much better than ACE's squeaking sounds.

Just a quik information about my next step:

Thanks to Robalo I'm able (and I understand how to do it now^^) to create gear depending Gearsounds for Arma. That means, the gear sounds you hear while moving around are now depends on what soldier class you chose. So, if you are a Sniper in a ghilliesuit or are you an MG Gunner will a lot of ammo boxes and ammochains? Are you a sneaky SF or SpecOps or Speznas or are you a medic? And so on.

So, I will start making 8 different classes and I will try to adress most of the soldier classes ingame. I planed to do the following classes:

Soldier/Riflemen: Mostly normal Gear sounds. You will hear your rifle touching your vest, the grenades rattle.

Medic: Like Soldier, with some more effect of the big rucksack, the medic items.

HeavyMG: Sounds of Ammo chains and big ammoboxes, heavy noises of MG touching the vest and equipment.

LightMG: Same as HeavyMG, just a bit less of Chain and boxes sounds. Still loud and noisy.

SF/Spetznas: Really less noises. Everything is atteched with tape to the vest, nothing is rattling around.

Sniper: The noises of the moving and crumble of the ghillie suit, the sniperrifle touching the vest slightly. Really quiet.

Vehicle/Pilot: Helmetcables of the radio system or the radio on the vest, light weapon noises, less "equiped" noises.

Launchers/AT_AA_Soldier: Same as Soldier. But: You can hear the big AT or AA Launcher on your back.

If there is a sniper without a ghilliesuit, he will get the SF sounds. Those gear sounds are also working for all other classes of other nations, so US, USMC, Russia, Taki or what ever, all of them will be effected.

I will try to find the best way to make them all fit together. The idea is kinda cool, but also brings some ... issues, some of you may dont like that. Because: Those sounds are depending on the Class of a soldier/player. So if you start a game as an MG Gunner and you switch to another set of gear, lets say you are a sniper now, you still have the MG Gunner noises on you.

Same if you change the playermodels, like replacementmods. If you replace the MGGunner class with a sniper model, you still hear the MG noises. I dont know how much this would be a pain in the ass for some of you. It wouldnt be a problem for me, thats for sure. Corze everytime I play with my mate in MP, we mostly have a SF class and then load our gear manually after the start of the mission. So it doesnt matter if I take a sniper or MG, my gear noises would always be quiet.

The big plus point of all this is: If the enemies (lets say AI's) coming in, and you hiding somewhere, you can already hear on the gearsounds, which types of weapons you will have to face. If you hear some chains noises, you can already say, it must be an PKM or RPK (if you did not gave the AI soldiers another set of weapons again...).

Well, I will work this out, will make a video for you guys and we will see if this idea is as good as I think it will. But at least, it will be alot of fun to hear, finally, some new gear sounds again... lol

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead
chillie to ghillie^^

Awesome.

I bet ghillie suits are plenty loud, as snipers aren't supposed to be running around. Or if they are, they don't bother being stealthy.

Its imo a bad idea to make such sounds depending on unit class - soon all who have JSRS will only like to be those "superspecialcool sniper and operators" because of it supersilenced no/less noise class. ;) It would be imo better if there would be a ingame option/feature to tape the noisy stuff for all units. Hope that you don't consider to turn SF into magic Ninjas who are moving/hovering over ground without making a noise even on gravel or foliage. IRL you can't make any exact distincton between soldiers (eg patrol) walking/running - you may be able to here a "specific" sound but thats mostly just a lucky guess. Btw those units must be really close otherwise you just hear the usual rattling, footsteps and (background) noise.

LJH,

Would it be worth making a simple userconfig? That way the option to use your class sounds could be left up to the user/server.

Its imo a bad idea to make such sounds depending on unit class - soon all who have JSRS will only like to be those "superspecialcool sniper and operators" because of it supersilenced no/less noise class. ;) It would be imo better if there would be a ingame option/feature to tape the noisy stuff for all units. Hope that you don't consider to turn SF into magic Ninjas who are moving/hovering over ground without making a noise even on gravel or foliage. IRL you can't make any exact distincton between soldiers (eg patrol) walking/running - you may be able to here a "specific" sound but thats mostly just a lucky guess. Btw those units must be really close otherwise you just hear the usual rattling, footsteps and (background) noise.

Don't worry, everyone wears boots, and will sound mostly the same in MP. It will just give you an added bit of immersion when you hear that launcher tube slapping around on your back like you would in real life.

It might be worth asking how much MG belts rattle IRL, however. Or maybe units with bandoliers on their models (Chedaki, for example) could get extra noises.

Sounds like fun ^^

Maybe you can give us an Init line, to activate these sounds.

With that, we can add these sounds to Replacement units or new ones.

This would solve the problem, that other units have the wrong sound for there class.

Little question btw, will this support your first person script?

So, you only hear this sounds when you are in first person?

The sounds are working like the normal gear sounds right now already. Its nothing new, just more and different to each class. It has nothing to do with the script, its firstperson like thirdperson. As usual. Its all config based. There is also a scripting way, so I can adress each weapon and magazine. But I would have to adress each class, ALL rifles and ALL kind of magazines in the game. The work would be huge and also its another script running, maybe disturbing by performance drops, causing new trouble and so on... no thanks, I stay with the basics^^

All this is client side, so if you dont like that, you can turn this off by deleting the pbo, like you can delete things since ... ever in JSRS. IF you dont like that sounds, just delete the new gear_c.pbo out of the JSRS Addons Folder and done.

The problem you mentioned, NoRailGunner, you can prevent it by deleting the pbo, so all classes will sound the same again. And by the way, I dont wanted to make magic ninjas^^ (Nice Idea though) Even the SF units will be noisy of course, but just different, without much details in the sound itself. As mentioned, the problem for me is now to find a decent way to keep them familier to each other BUT... different^^ Hard to explain. I will use a certain set of gear sounds, and will expand them with the new gear noises for each class.

I will have to work this out to see it for myself as well, dont know how this will work or even sounds like ingame. We shall just wait for it...

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

Basically, we were discussing this while cooping a few times. I told him as I was lugging a MG3 that with all the ammo and stuff he would probably be carrying, he should have had a bit more "jingle" compared to the guys running around. It's just tweaking the movement sounds according to the role and gear. Some like machine gunners might have a bit more gear noise than say a rifleman, etc. So don't get into a panic that there's going to be super elite silent ninja SF soldiers running around. Quite the opposite. LJ liked the discussion and took off with it. He basically wants to add a bit more audio immersion for the class/role. Don't worry. :)

Basically, we were discussing this while cooping a few times. I told him as I was lugging a MG3 that with all the ammo and stuff he would probably be carrying, he should have had a bit more "jingle" compared to the guys running around. It's just tweaking the movement sounds according to the role and gear. Some like machine gunners might have a bit more gear noise than say a rifleman, etc. So don't get into a panic that there's going to be super elite silent ninja SF soldiers running around. Quite the opposite. LJ liked the discussion and took off with it. He basically wants to add a bit more audio immersion for the class/role. Don't worry. :)

Couldn't say it any better ;) Thanks bud!

lj2i.png

Edited by LordJarhead

I have a bit of trouble making the mod work as intended. I've downloaded the mod with six-updater on a clean steam install of ArmA:CO. The mod loads without any errors, most of the sounds sound great except for the weapons sounds. I'm no expert but the AKs don't sound as I'd think they should and the M16, M4 certainly don't sound like their RL counterparts. I've also checked a few youtube videos(with JSRS) and the weapons in the videos sound a lot different/better than mine. I will try to record tomorrow a short video showing the sounds in question to give you a better idea what I'm talking about. I've also tried a manual download from armaholic but with no success. I will also mention that the standard weapon sounds and other sound mods work without any problems. I've no idea what might be the problem, so any thoughts/suggestions are welcomed.

I'm no expert but the AKs don't sound as I'd think they should and the M16, M4 certainly don't sound like their RL counterparts.

I dont think Jarhead was aiming for exact replica, check this thread and the debate about exacting sounds, its an open one.

I've also checked a few youtube videos(with JSRS) and the weapons in the videos sound a lot different/better than mine.

What were the videos? Some videos claim a soundmod used but might also use a mix of soundmods, IE the bulk is JSRS and some minor personal tweaks not mentioned in the info. Unless its an official video of course.

Make sure your using CBA (try an update?) before your addon mod list for JSRS and obviously no ther mods that might have sounds.

What were the videos? Some videos claim a soundmod used but might also use a mix of soundmods, IE the bulk is JSRS and some minor personal tweaks not mentioned in the info. Unless its an official video of course.

This one was my primary reference.

Make sure your using CBA (try an update?) before your addon mod list for JSRS and obviously no ther mods that might have sounds.

Yes, I'm loading the game with only CBA and JSRS but it still doesn't sound right to me. I've uploaded a video showing some of the weapons that seem to have a problem.

Here it is:

So you can compare the sounds in these two videos and unless I have a hearing problem, the sounds appear to be different (unfortunately only the AK-74, M4 and M16 are in both videos).

Edited by BogdanM

First one is probably 1.4.1 as in it's title. Second one sounds like 1.4.3 which is the latest. You can also try the optional sounds from 1.4.3 (copy files from optional into addons) and see if you like them better.

First one is probably 1.4.1 as in it's title. Second one sounds like 1.4.3 which is the latest. You can also try the optional sounds from 1.4.3 (copy files from optional into addons) and see if you like them better.

So the sounds in the second video sound the way they're supposed right? It's a matter of personal taste but in my opinion the ones in 1.4.1 sound more familiar, the ones in the latest version, unless I see the weapon, I couldn't tell which weapon is fired just by the sound. I'll check the optional sounds aswell. Thanks!