What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

Good deal LJ, but old radio beep sounds been more better :(, if you can put new radio sounds as optional :), please :)

Ok, lets make a deal: You want the old Radiosounds back in game? I will add them as optional. But then you will never ask me again to put something in as optional :D

Congratulations! :)

Thank you very much ;)

Most impressive segment (even though its all good) in that video for me is from 2 min 45 onwards.

I loved the tray bullet moment and your reaction to it in that video too :)

Yah I also like the far distant sounds. Also the amazin overfly sounds when the BMP is shooting over your head away lol^^

At the moment I have staggered them in 6 ranges. So its like Near, Mid, Far, Far2, Far3 and Echo. Echo was basicly plant for something else, but after I found out its not possible, I was using this script entry as another distance.

Most likely the distances will build up into 200 meter ranges, so 200 - 400, 400 - 600, 600 - 800, 800 - 1000, 1000 - 1200, 1200 - maxRange/2000/3000.

LJ

The XM8 SD Silenced, dont have a sound mod?

It will be fixed and have an SD Sound in 1.5 ;)

LJ

I noticed some new movement sounds in your last two videos. Will these be included in 1.5?

Btw those distance sounds are sounding f*#king epic!

Most impressive segment (even though its all good) in that video for me is from 2 min 45 onwards.

I loved the tray bullet moment and your reaction to it in that video too :)

^ I could not stop laughing at that! We've all been there before :D

Good stuff LJ :459:

^ I could not stop laughing at that! We've all been there before :D

Heres the sequence of events in emoticon story form:

*sonic snap* ... :butbut: .. :bored: ... :pray: ...... :mad: .. *pause for a moment* ...

:coop::638:

:868: ................... :391:

Are the sounds after 2.45 real battle sounds in game raging or module sounds just for effects?

Are the sounds after 2.45 real battle sounds in game raging or module sounds just for effects?

All you hear in this mod is really caused by an AI soldier or even a player. There are no, NOOOO Fakesounds. Everything has its source. This is the great thing about Arma. While you have to create such surroundings in other game with fakesoundsample which are playing in the background, everything in arma is real!

So everything you heard in that video where single shots by soldiers fighting each other.

LJ

Thank you for the reply LJ. I thought 1.4 was the last update for your great mod so I didnt expect the 1.5 mod upgrade.. I cant tell you how happy I am with your decision to continue the fabulous work you are doing.

Thank you once more mate :)

Hey.

Ok, so I guess I want to inform some of you, who might no check recent status/updates about JSRS, about the WIP, ongoing work, and whats done already:

The main events took place as probably assumed in the audio area:

Weapons:

- There were a lot of weapons revised, adapted and expanded. Some old sounds are still present, but they should also be edited, or adapted at least.

- Most reload sounds have been revised or adapted. The mainfocus was less on animations, it was much more focused on the mental imagination of the player, who can imagine the sound of the reloading of a weapon, as it will perhaps still fits to the animation. Still, it's not the case that the sounds are completely out of the scheme. It just fits a little better in sound quality and is richer in details.

- The ranges of "normal" sounds have been re-adjusted and partially expanded. The collaboration with the D-Script ² (the current version of the created distance Script by Psycho which has been revised by Robalo) is the most important task, but also the most difficult. The fade factor of the normal sounds, which can be not changed, unfortunately, is always disturbing enough, to overlap with the distance sounds. Now the goal is to keep this area of ​​overlap as very small as possible. Even here we are, Robalo and I maybe find another solution. There must be a way! (I mean, I said there is must be a to get distance sounds, and here we are right now^^)

- The realism of JSRS was never really in focus and given into the background of my work. For now, as I face more and more the theme of "realistic sounds" because of my hobby and RL, I will again point out that it was never the goel of JSRS to create something like the "realistic sound", because I think in my opinion, its basicly nearly inpossible! All that what would be possible is to make it be "authentic". Therefore, only real and only original samples of weapons, vehicles and items are used to make it as authentically as possible. Who can tell me that JSRS has no realistic sounds, is quite probably true, but also missed the point of my work.

Vehicles

- Lots of effort was put into the new tank sounds. I had a lot of effort to create so many chains/treads sounds and finding sources and what ever, that most of my audio work went in the vehicles so far. Even helicopters, planes and cars were not so expensivly created. Authentic, yes. As much as I was just possible. But who hears the faint creaking of Abrams treads when it comes to standing, or slowly starts moving, will know what I mean with "Authentic"! In addition, many new vehicles were added to the list. Thus now, finally, the Jackal and the Warrior get their own, real recorded sounds.

- The tire noise have caused a excitement and were accepted in a skeptical way. And I understand that, they were partially be a bit loud. But it was also a test. Now they are wonderfully integrated into the driving mechanism and creates a new round of the audiophile impression.

- Edit in the near future, depending on how is the time, I will try to make all enter and exit sounds / door sounds. Many have reported this and were totally annoyed by this, including myself, that the absurd distances over which the BIS door sounds can be heard are very annoying and can sometimes even reveal a position. If the sounds of "doors banging" is louder than even the engine at full speed, editing is asked!

Environment

- The environment (ambient noise) was again modified, adapted and partially expanded. Now you can trust more in the sound, which is always more to hear loud and clear on where you are located (forest, prairie, city, mountains, desert, day or night, rain or shine, light or strong winds). Also annoying animal noises were slightly modified and no longer disturb the overall picture.

- Sonic Cracks are a very important thing for me personally! These, in conjunction with the bullet hits, tell me again and again that a real danger is involved. No other point (other than the death it self^ ^) clearly and repeatedly shows that we put ourselves in danger, or move into soon. At the moment in the U.S. some recordings of all sorts of sounds are running. This includes alot of the weapon sounds for distances (D²-Script) that can be taken up to one kilometer distance free and clean. The reloading of the most well-known weapons, recordings of the Bullet Hits which still runs in a test, and the best, capturing real sonic cracks without noises or echo's in addition to the weapons. Cracks were never cleaner. Thanks to TheCapulet here

- Explosions are also a great factor to show a sense of violence and danger. Robalo maybe able to develope a decent explosions D²-Script and allows the simulation of related sounds of distant explosions. If this works, it will be implemented and funded, equipped with sound and then it will be tested.

- The Movement sounds of the soldiers have also been adapted and extended many times. Also I'm maybe able to create a "depending on equipment"-sound. If we succeed, what we (Yokhanan and I) had in our minds, we should recognize the sound of the soldier's equipment. So someone wearing a machine gun with ammunition, you can hear the rustle of the boxes, the jingle of the chains and so on. A sniper is quiet, his Chilliesuit rustling. An infantry man is clearly audible, the M16 ratchets on the vest and touching the grenade or something. The SF Soldier is very quiet, his loose gear and equipments are attached with adhesive tape to the vest to prevent the rustle and much more.

- The Bullet hits are mentioned as very important. In my current alpha version of 1.5, I was able for the first time ever to use real recorded bullethits to make a very authentic sound. The banging and clanging of projectiles flying around will bring some of you maybe a bit deeper into his cover, but it sounds totally awesome, no question about that.

Distance Script (D²-Script or D²S)

The best part about my job is the space of what I could do or even not. When I started, there were nothing planed than one or two weapons. Then there were all weapons suddenly done, then helicopters, then the first Abramssound. When I had the idea of ​​building a long-range distance sound, it all thought impossible. But I was stubborn and continued searching. Until I came across OpticalSnare who found a way to do this and who created his script. Without further contemplation, I got permission to extend or modify the sript at will. A scripter sought and found, psycho, and there we went. After a few performance issues and the increase of the memory usage by time, it was expanded unfailingly. But recently I realized that psycho has a private life (hehehe) and other projects to take care of (thank you again for our current path). Shortly thereafter, Robalo offered me his help. With his "enhanced scriptingskillz" he was able to increase performance of the scripts for a good, lets say, 30%, which, however, felt as 50% in the game. In addition, all RPT's (a small script error), and other bugs have been fixed. The use of the script cant therefore be seen as negativ , except for the CBA-requirement, which must run for it. If that bothers someone, he is probably not ready for a great sound lol

And something very important:

The FPS sounds

- Psycho managed to write a script that allows me to create sounds for the Internal view. Means, that if I fire a gun in the first-Perpektive, I can hear a louder sound accordingly the mechanical sounds as if I do this in the third person perspective. This is possible even in vehicles and allows you to create the impression, firing your weapon within a vehicle. I hear a loud boom and whoosh in the AH6 as I fire the FFAR rockets! The Apache, the firing of the M230 30mm cannon shakes the entire cabin. The pure mechanics when firing the M119 Artillery and the return of the gun barrel, the snap of the sleeve valve of a PKM's, the swirling dirt and dust when firing a M136 AT4 launcher, the rustle of the cartridges chain on the M240, the shaking of the dampers of the CCO-optics of my silenced M4, the back strap of the slide of a Glock and what ever...

ACE

- Since Robalo is trying to helping me out, the work with ACE should be no longer a problem. Just recently, I published the ACE pack, which had to fight with inheritance issues. Since I hardly know about inheritance and sub-class and super class stuff, Robalo had offered me his help, scanned the files and fixt them asap. From now on I can go out, tell that the ACE mod and JSRS should go together wonderfully, and if not, these problems should now be solved more quickly than before.

All in all you can say that something has been done so far. But it wont end here, because, JSRS 1.5 wont see the lights of the world soon. The work is ongoing, and I also (yes you amazed ^ ^) have kind of a real life to handle, which takes some time now and a lot more time in future. The JSRS mod will be released before the Arma3 release of course, I will schedule a release for the summer, late summer / beginning of autumn.

I hope this small contribution is able to let you look into the development of JSRS and maybe you are a bit more up to date with this.

Thanks,

LJ

I just hope that JSRS will be ported to ARMAIII it will be a shame if all this work stays with ARMAII and not brought to ARMA3.

Thank you very much for all of your hard work!!! I absolutely love your sound mod! Very excited to see what's in the future! Also, do you plan to port over to A3?

Words fail to express my amazement at the D² aspect of this mod.

I can scarcely imagine what would happen if you combined this with a persistent type mod such as MSO or DayZ...

I can scarcely imagine what would happen if you combined this with a persistent type mod such as MSO or DayZ...

Zombies shoot 5 different forms of distant scream echo from their bleeding mouths?

Hey.

Ok, so I guess I want to inform some of you, who might no check recent status/updates about JSRS, about the WIP, ongoing work, and whats done already:

The main events took place as probably assumed in the audio area:

Weapons:

- There were a lot of weapons revised, adapted and expanded. Some old sounds are still present, but they should also be edited, or adapted at least.

- Most reload sounds have been revised or adapted. The mainfocus was less on animations, it was much more focused on the mental imagination of the player, who can imagine the sound of the reloading of a weapon, as it will perhaps still fits to the animation. Still, it's not the case that the sounds are completely out of the scheme. It just fits a little better in sound quality and is richer in details.

- The ranges of "normal" sounds have been re-adjusted and partially expanded. The collaboration with the D-Script ² (the current version of the created distance Script by Psycho which has been revised by Robalo) is the most important task, but also the most difficult. The fade factor of the normal sounds, which can be not changed, unfortunately, is always disturbing enough, to overlap with the distance sounds. Now the goal is to keep this area of ​​overlap as very small as possible. Even here we are, Robalo and I maybe find another solution. There must be a way! (I mean, I said there is must be a to get distance sounds, and here we are right now^^)

- The realism of JSRS was never really in focus and given into the background of my work. For now, as I face more and more the theme of "realistic sounds" because of my hobby and RL, I will again point out that it was never the goel of JSRS to create something like the "realistic sound", because I think in my opinion, its basicly nearly inpossible! All that what would be possible is to make it be "authentic". Therefore, only real and only original samples of weapons, vehicles and items are used to make it as authentically as possible. Who can tell me that JSRS has no realistic sounds, is quite probably true, but also missed the point of my work.

Vehicles

- Lots of effort was put into the new tank sounds. I had a lot of effort to create so many chains/treads sounds and finding sources and what ever, that most of my audio work went in the vehicles so far. Even helicopters, planes and cars were not so expensivly created. Authentic, yes. As much as I was just possible. But who hears the faint creaking of Abrams treads when it comes to standing, or slowly starts moving, will know what I mean with "Authentic"! In addition, many new vehicles were added to the list. Thus now, finally, the Jackal and the Warrior get their own, real recorded sounds.

- The tire noise have caused a excitement and were accepted in a skeptical way. And I understand that, they were partially be a bit loud. But it was also a test. Now they are wonderfully integrated into the driving mechanism and creates a new round of the audiophile impression.

- Edit in the near future, depending on how is the time, I will try to make all enter and exit sounds / door sounds. Many have reported this and were totally annoyed by this, including myself, that the absurd distances over which the BIS door sounds can be heard are very annoying and can sometimes even reveal a position. If the sounds of "doors banging" is louder than even the engine at full speed, editing is asked!

Environment

- The environment (ambient noise) was again modified, adapted and partially expanded. Now you can trust more in the sound, which is always more to hear loud and clear on where you are located (forest, prairie, city, mountains, desert, day or night, rain or shine, light or strong winds). Also annoying animal noises were slightly modified and no longer disturb the overall picture.

- Sonic Cracks are a very important thing for me personally! These, in conjunction with the bullet hits, tell me again and again that a real danger is involved. No other point (other than the death it self^ ^) clearly and repeatedly shows that we put ourselves in danger, or move into soon. At the moment in the U.S. some recordings of all sorts of sounds are running. This includes alot of the weapon sounds for distances (D²-Script) that can be taken up to one kilometer distance free and clean. The reloading of the most well-known weapons, recordings of the Bullet Hits which still runs in a test, and the best, capturing real sonic cracks without noises or echo's in addition to the weapons. Cracks were never cleaner. Thanks to TheCapulet here

- Explosions are also a great factor to show a sense of violence and danger. Robalo maybe able to develope a decent explosions D²-Script and allows the simulation of related sounds of distant explosions. If this works, it will be implemented and funded, equipped with sound and then it will be tested.

- The Movement sounds of the soldiers have also been adapted and extended many times. Also I'm maybe able to create a "depending on equipment"-sound. If we succeed, what we (Yokhanan and I) had in our minds, we should recognize the sound of the soldier's equipment. So someone wearing a machine gun with ammunition, you can hear the rustle of the boxes, the jingle of the chains and so on. A sniper is quiet, his Chilliesuit rustling. An infantry man is clearly audible, the M16 ratchets on the vest and touching the grenade or something. The SF Soldier is very quiet, his loose gear and equipments are attached with adhesive tape to the vest to prevent the rustle and much more.

- The Bullet hits are mentioned as very important. In my current alpha version of 1.5, I was able for the first time ever to use real recorded bullethits to make a very authentic sound. The banging and clanging of projectiles flying around will bring some of you maybe a bit deeper into his cover, but it sounds totally awesome, no question about that.

Distance Script (D²-Script or D²S)

The best part about my job is the space of what I could do or even not. When I started, there were nothing planed than one or two weapons. Then there were all weapons suddenly done, then helicopters, then the first Abramssound. When I had the idea of ​​building a long-range distance sound, it all thought impossible. But I was stubborn and continued searching. Until I came across OpticalSnare who found a way to do this and who created his script. Without further contemplation, I got permission to extend or modify the sript at will. A scripter sought and found, psycho, and there we went. After a few performance issues and the increase of the memory usage by time, it was expanded unfailingly. But recently I realized that psycho has a private life (hehehe) and other projects to take care of (thank you again for our current path). Shortly thereafter, Robalo offered me his help. With his "enhanced scriptingskillz" he was able to increase performance of the scripts for a good, lets say, 30%, which, however, felt as 50% in the game. In addition, all RPT's (a small script error), and other bugs have been fixed. The use of the script cant therefore be seen as negativ , except for the CBA-requirement, which must run for it. If that bothers someone, he is probably not ready for a great sound lol

And something very important:

The FPS sounds

- Psycho managed to write a script that allows me to create sounds for the Internal view. Means, that if I fire a gun in the first-Perpektive, I can hear a louder sound accordingly the mechanical sounds as if I do this in the third person perspective. This is possible even in vehicles and allows you to create the impression, firing your weapon within a vehicle. I hear a loud boom and whoosh in the AH6 as I fire the FFAR rockets! The Apache, the firing of the M230 30mm cannon shakes the entire cabin. The pure mechanics when firing the M119 Artillery and the return of the gun barrel, the snap of the sleeve valve of a PKM's, the swirling dirt and dust when firing a M136 AT4 launcher, the rustle of the cartridges chain on the M240, the shaking of the dampers of the CCO-optics of my silenced M4, the back strap of the slide of a Glock and what ever...

ACE

- Since Robalo is trying to helping me out, the work with ACE should be no longer a problem. Just recently, I published the ACE pack, which had to fight with inheritance issues. Since I hardly know about inheritance and sub-class and super class stuff, Robalo had offered me his help, scanned the files and fixt them asap. From now on I can go out, tell that the ACE mod and JSRS should go together wonderfully, and if not, these problems should now be solved more quickly than before.

All in all you can say that something has been done so far. But it wont end here, because, JSRS 1.5 wont see the lights of the world soon. The work is ongoing, and I also (yes you amazed ^ ^) have kind of a real life to handle, which takes some time now and a lot more time in future. The JSRS mod will be released before the Arma3 release of course, I will schedule a release for the summer, late summer / beginning of autumn.

I hope this small contribution is able to let you look into the development of JSRS and maybe you are a bit more up to date with this.

Thanks,

LJ

Yes I´m going to quote the whole thing because it´s fucking EPIC.

The bold part is something that I really wished for and I´m glad that we will finally get this.

A Big Thank You! to everyone who is, or was involved in the development of this awesome project.

The only sad thing is that we will have to wait a few months, with Arma 3 right around the corner. I really hope that you are going to work on Arma 3. While the A3 sounds seem to be quite good they sure as hell won´t have this nice distance script and all the other neat stuff you throw at us.

Jarhead, from the progress update you wrote, I'm definetly looking forward to the next version. Just wondering something though, will we have JSRS firing sounds for the D30, M119, MRLS and GRAD?

If so, then I have nothing more to say hahah :)

Jarhead: is there anyway to add sounds to doors? i.e. when you open or close a door it would make a sound?

I tried this today and i'm very glad.

Really immersive and enjoyable. Fantastic conversion.

Thank you very much.

I am use J.S.R.S. 1.4.3 and OpticalSnaresoundFX together before and now

Edited by Andy Mcnab

Jarhead, from the progress update you wrote, I'm definetly looking forward to the next version. Just wondering something though, will we have JSRS firing sounds for the D30, M119, MRLS and GRAD?

If so, then I have nothing more to say hahah :)

As some of you may saw on DevHeaven I made the M119 Howitzer and the D30 last week. MRLS has its sounds already, might be tweaked. Maybe GRAD will also get its sounds, shouldnt be a problem.

Jarhead: is there anyway to add sounds to doors? i.e. when you open or close a door it would make a sound?

If you mean vehicle doors, then yes, I make them. If you mean building doors, there is no entry for such sounds ingame. So... nope.

LJ

Thanks a bundle LJ, now I'm really looking forward to the next version :)

LJ, for some reason i have never installed this mod...until this morning...AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks for the hard work!

Again, I ask you Jarhead: Are the explosion sounds for ACE's claymores and other mines meant to be so loud? I am siding on the side of it being a bug, but I am not sure what you intended them to sound like.

Well, I didnt covered all of the ace explosions, some may be still ace, like the APOBS explosions and so. Might be that you hear my explosions, but sometime ACE makes some weird things. i.E. when a helicopter crash there are multiple explosions the same time, so it sounds ten times louder, without ACE you have a normal explosion, just ONE explosion.

But except of the heli crashes I hear nothing that is too loud.

LJ

@LJ, you could make a video showing the coltan blues mission from OA, I guess it will be pretty cool to hear the battle for Feruz Abad while attacking the mine.