What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

Indeed it is. Making mods is too much work to not follow your joy. :p Thanks again.

The reason military radios wouldn't beep like that is the extra noise would be "non-tactical". With enclosed headsets or in a vehicle it would likely matter less. Keep up the great work, there is no way I can use other sound mods now. It has ruined me.

When a keyed radio starts to transmit, it has to handshake with the other radio(s). That handshake takes a moment and once it's complete, that's when you get the beep. That's how you know the handshake has occurred. Pretty standard on UHF comms. I personally have removed the beep in game, but that's the beauty of LJH's mod. He gives us options.

Thanks LJH for the update. Sounds great!

Yes, it is called breaking squelch. Again, the military radios won't beep, but others do. Thanks for the info though. I will look through the files to see where it is.

Again, this mod is so good it is quite amazing!

EDIT: thanks gatordev for the tip! I've gone into the radionoise config and am tweaking now. This is truly modular, which is great for the user. LordJarhead, don't mistake my comments as being dismissive; your radio noise is extraordinarily good. We all just like to tweak things a bit ;)

EDIT: I should state when I was in we used PRC-77 and SINCGAR (pronounced "prick 77" and "sin gar"). No beeping on those. Perhaps the newer radios as used in game are different. I would be happy if someone would add some input on this.

Edited by strac_sapper

I hate this mod. It gets me killed, because now I want to attract fire!! :p Amazing stuff. Btw, I've changed the way rain works; four base sounds depending on rain intensity, combined with two special rain sounds depending on environment. The base sounds are like drizzle, light, medium and heavy rain, which you can probably find sources for anywhere. There was overlapping issues in the original version which I wasn't able to fully fix. This isn't exactly what I was going for, but to me it sounds better because avoiding those bugs. Goes something like this:

class Rain {}; //Remove default rain sound
class RainBase01 {
   sound[] = {
       "\BiB_Ambience\AmbientSounds\Rain_Base01",
   };
   volume = "2 * ((rain factor[0,0.5]) min (rain factor[0.5,0]))";
};
class RainBase02 {
   sound[] = {
       "\BiB_Ambience\AmbientSounds\Rain_Base02",
   };
   volume = "2 * ((rain factor[0.25,0.75]) min (rain factor[0.75,0.25]))";
};
class RainBase03 {
   sound[] = {
       "\BiB_Ambience\AmbientSounds\Rain_Base03",
   };
   volume = "2 * ((rain factor[0.5,1]) min (rain factor[1,0.5]))";
};
class RainBase04 {
   sound[] = {
       "\BiB_Ambience\AmbientSounds\Rain_Base04",
   };
   volume = "(rain factor[0.75,1])";
};
class RainForestLight {
   name = "BIB_rainforestlight";
   sound[] = {
       "\BiB_Ambience\AmbientSounds\Rain_Forest_Light",
   };
   volume = "2 * 2 * (forest) * (rain min (1-rain))";
};
class RainForestHeavy {
   name = "BIB_rainforestheavy";
   sound[] = {
       "\BiB_Ambience\AmbientSounds\Rain_Forest_Heavy",
   };
   volume = "1.5 * (forest) * (rain factor[0.5,1])";
};
class RainHousesLight {
   name = "BIB_rainhouseslight";
   sound[] = {
       "\BiB_Ambience\AmbientSounds\Rain_House_Light",
   };
   volume = "2 * 2 * (houses) * (rain min (1-rain))";
};
class RainHousesHeavy {
   name = "BIB_rainhousesheavy";
   sound[] = {
       "\BiB_Ambience\AmbientSounds\Rain_House_Heavy",
   };
   volume = "1.5 * (houses) * (rain factor[0.5,1])";
};
class RainSeaLight {
   name = "BIB_rainsea_light";
   sound[] = {
       "\BiB_Ambience\AmbientSounds\Rain_Sea_Light",
   };
   volume = "2 * 2 * (sea) * (rain min (1-rain))";
};
class RainSeaHeavy {
   name = "BIB_rainsea_heavy";
   sound[] = {
       "\BiB_Ambience\AmbientSounds\Rain_Sea_Heavy",
   };
   volume = "1.5 * (sea) * (rain factor[0.5,1])";
};

Ehh, huh? Can't paste code in here anymore with preserved tabs? :( (oh, only the preview failed). Anyhow, as you can see you can get several rain sounds play at once now, so it's very important the sounds be quite different to avoid phasing problems. I noticed you often use same sounds for different entries. At least for ambient loops, this can produce extremely bad results due to phasing.

Yah, also Mike_USA told me about Sound Of War mod which also got these entries. Also climbing sounds, salute and such stuff. I will take a look at this in some time.

Thanks,

Jarhead

Oh great, that's all our coop's need, mate--us standing there for hours making salute sounds, lol. Perhaps it'll provide Tobert with a way to communicate with us using sound. 1 Salute sound for yes and a rolling sound for no? Hmmm.....must think that over. (it's an inside thing, so most of the people here wouldn't get it. ;) )

[EDIT] strac_sapper: That's cool and all mate. My only concern as far as that is concerned--judging by your use of "tweaking"--is if LJ was asked if it was asked about it and given permission to do. I mean to be honest he could say no and technically in the privacy of your own home you can still do either way. But I mean the license/statement DOES say:

"YOU DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO EDIT THIS MOD AND ITS CONTENTS WITHOUT MY EXPRESSED WRITTEN PERMISSION, NOR ARE YOU PERMITTED TO RELEASE ANY PARTS OF THIS MOD UNDER YOUR NAME."

Again, nothing against you and you seem like a decent guy and don't want you to feel like I'm picking on you. I'm sure you can understand my reason for asking and bringing it up. :)

Edited by Yokhanan
something caught my eye

Oh great, that's all our coop's need, mate--us standing there for hours making salute sounds, lol. Perhaps it'll provide Tobert with a way to communicate with us using sound. 1 Salute sound for yes and a rolling sound for no? Hmmm.....must think that over. (it's an inside thing, so most of the people here wouldn't get it. ;) )

[EDIT] strac_sapper: That's cool and all mate. My only concern as far as that is concerned--judging by your use of "tweaking"--is if LJ was asked if it was asked about it and given permission to do. I mean to be honest he could say no and technically in the privacy of your own home you can still do either way. But I mean the license/statement DOES say:

Again, nothing against you and you seem like a decent guy and don't want you to feel like I'm picking on you. I'm sure you can understand my reason for asking and bringing it up. :)

Hi there, and thanks for the heads up. Just for your future reference, such warnings are much more meaningful if the posts directly ahead of and directly behind mine don't explicitly state how the user has changed the mod, while mine only mentions that I may have. :p

I'm sure he has had problems with less mature users copying his work, and this is a big no no and unfair, considering how awesome this mod is. Heck, I have a mod in another game that I spend lots of time answering how to change it to others tastes; I personally take it as a compliment as it has a lot of downloads. I hope the creator of this mod does too from all of its supporters.

Yes, I too look for combat just to hear the glorious sounds; and yes, I get killed in the process!

Again, engine limitation, or even because of the gameengine itself, since your the gunner in a Jackel, aiming means you'r "inside" the weapon or vehicles, so its damped because the engine says: Your in a vehicles... cant fix that.

Jarhead

AFAIK this is not an engine limitation. It's merely a config setting either in the Jackal config or in some base class config which dampens all external sounds. I haven't checked but I guess the Jackal config is based on Car or Truck config. The setting in question should be insideSoundCoef.

Well I guess that LJ can´t really fix it. The same issue can be observed if you are gunner in the Land Rover with M2.

As I've said, nothing personal at all. No real harm done or anything. Not like you're editing the project and passing it out as your own or something, heh. It just brings up a point that needs to be addressed I think for the future for everyone.

It's just we don't want people believing "modular" in regards to JSRS necessarily means tweak away freely. I can be mistaken, but with CG's editing it's due to experimentation and if better things come about he and LJ discuss things and may end up in updates. If that's the case, then yes it's quite different than tweaking configs in pbo's just because people don't like something. There's been enough aggrivation around in the past, and I think there needs to be a clear definition of what modularity really means for this project before everyone starts diving in and editing everything. Then those people risk breaking stuff and LJ ends up having to hear all the crying because someone else broke things and expects him to fix them. Then someone releases a video or two of private tweaks, people get interested and start nagging and before you know it there's all kinds of tweaked JSRS versions and things get messy. Know what I mean? That's what we want to avoid. :nener:

All I'm saying is for anyone who wishes to open up and edit any part of JSRS--no matter how tiny and/or insignificant it may seem to the person doing it--to please give a bit of respect enough to actually follow what is stated quite clear and simple on the front page and at least ask the man before opening any of his work and edit away. I think that is more than reasonable to ask of people, no?

If that ruffles a bit of feathers among people in the community lately, then I can't apologize for that. I know how much time and effort went and continues to go into this project and find it just a bit disappointing that people still can't respect an author's rights enough to ask before doing something. People will do it anyways privately because they just can--and nothing can be done about that to be fair. But when people are openly posting "hey, this is great and all, but I'm still going to open these pbo's and tweak away".....see where I am going with this? It doesn't take much effort at all to show an author some respect for his hard work to write a PM and ask "hey, is this ok if I do "such and such" for personal use?" is it?

Just keep that in mind, folks is what I'm saying. This isn't aimed at any specific people at all but for all to keep in mind--both present and future downloaders of JSRS (or any addon for that matter). It's super easy and keeps everyone happy. :yay: Besides, it's not like if you ask LJ that he will go into a rage and murder your families. He may punch an old lady or two--but who hasn't, am I right? :P

Wtf! This is non-issue.

Modularity MEANS that you can choose what files to use.

What LJH doesn't want is people editing the configs or the actual sounds. And rightly so.

However if someone finds a problem AND has found a solution then letting LJH know is the right thing to do. It's up to LJH whether he wants to use the 'fix'.

What if Rob sitting in his helo? There no ability to make a salute or roll :D I shall make him some sounds like beep noises if he's going to press a certain key :D

I personally take it as a compliment as it has a lot of downloads. I hope the creator of this mod does too from all of its supporters.

:O ? You shall look at the thread again, whatch my "thanks" all over the place. There is no more important thing to the public side of my work than the people who likes to playing with my stuff. I love my sounds myself, but its just an awesome feeling seeing thousand liking it too... trust me, I do appreciate each post in here (well, not everyone, but most of them, hehe), each thanks, each like on FB, each subscription on YT, each donor which has been made so far. And I state my happyness about that more than often, no one can say I'm unfriendly or some kind :D

AFAIK this is not an engine limitation. It's merely a config setting either in the Jackal config or in some base class config which dampens all external sounds. I haven't checked but I guess the Jackal config is based on Car or Truck config. The setting in question should be insideSoundCoef.

Thanks for the tipp. I will try to keep an eye on this and maybe I can do something. As Tonci said, tehre is also the M2 Defender who would need a fix if I going to fix it.

As I've said, nothing personal at all. No real harm done or anything. Not like you're editing the project and passing it out as your own or something, heh. It just brings up a point that needs to be addressed I think for the future for everyone.

It's just we don't want people believing "modular" in regards to JSRS necessarily means tweak away freely. I can be mistaken, but with CG's editing it's due to experimentation and if better things come about he and LJ discuss things and may end up in updates. If that's the case, then yes it's quite different than tweaking configs in pbo's just because people don't like something. There's been enough aggrivation around in the past, and I think there needs to be a clear definition of what modularity really means for this project before everyone starts diving in and editing everything. Then those people risk breaking stuff and LJ ends up having to hear all the crying because someone else broke things and expects him to fix them. Then someone releases a video or two of private tweaks, people get interested and start nagging and before you know it there's all kinds of tweaked JSRS versions and things get messy. Know what I mean? That's what we want to avoid. :nener:

All I'm saying is for anyone who wishes to open up and edit any part of JSRS--no matter how tiny and/or insignificant it may seem to the person doing it--to please give a bit of respect enough to actually follow what is stated quite clear and simple on the front page and at least ask the man before opening any of his work and edit away. I think that is more than reasonable to ask of people, no?

If that ruffles a bit of feathers among people in the community lately, then I can't apologize for that. I know how much time and effort went and continues to go into this project and find it just a bit disappointing that people still can't respect an author's rights enough to ask before doing something. People will do it anyways privately because they just can--and nothing can be done about that to be fair. But when people are openly posting "hey, this is great and all, but I'm still going to open these pbo's and tweak away".....see where I am going with this? It doesn't take much effort at all to show an author some respect for his hard work to write a PM and ask "hey, is this ok if I do "such and such" for personal use?" is it?

Just keep that in mind, folks is what I'm saying. This isn't aimed at any specific people at all but for all to keep in mind--both present and future downloaders of JSRS (or any addon for that matter). It's super easy and keeps everyone happy. :yay: Besides, it's not like if you ask LJ that he will go into a rage and murder your families. He may punch an old lady or two--but who hasn't, am I right? :P

Alrighty, I guess I shall invite me into your discussions here :D

"Modularity (also modular) is the division of a whole into parts, which are referred to as modules, components or building blocks and interact via interfaces.

With a modular design complete systems from standardized individual components are assembled along defined interfaces."

Now time to represent my own opinion: As I started with soundmodding, I worked like VOP, all in one, one big file, on big config. No index, confusing and you had to repackage the whole mod itself for small changes to certain elements, wich would be a huge time expenditure in the JSRS case, since we all know how big this project is at the moment. And it'll be bigger for sure too. So I used, through the advice of Mark, the modular system. Just because its easier to handle, more overview, and I can pack each gun or effect or vehicle or what ever, if I have to do certain changes. Only marginally there was also the cool ability for the user to replace certain elements with other mods, using the same modular structure. Well, I expanded the sytem even more, even more than the HiFi mod. Since Mark XIII is back, he also will go the way of the JSRS structure, so there will be more alternations in future. But as said, the abilities for the user were just marginally, the easy way to work with such a system stands in the first place.

And just to make this clear: Modularity of my mod just means the way I said: You can easily delete certain elements if you dont liket them. Thats already MORE THAN FAIR, since just imagine which game in the world give you this ability? Most modder or what ever just say: "Thats the way it is, become cool with it!" And many, MANY User, Friends, People from the forums just told me: "Do it also! Someday this will break you!" and yes, I know already what they mean. I'm more of a sentimental person. If there is someone who dont likes something, I always was like: "Argh, damn. Maybe I really should take care of this?" But these days are over, since the first person who saw that I was going to please someone, everyone else will come along too a waste my time to do, what I would like to do.

Ok, again: Modularity = You can easily delete/overwrite certain elements of my work with other elemtents by other mods with the same structure like JSRS. But this dont mean, you can just rip my work apart to do things to it the way you like. This sucks, its a pain in the ass seeing this everyday again^^ You could just as well spit in my face. There no better way to tell a modder, his work sucks, or even to show him your disrespect.

My opinion, could be wrong, but since its my mod, we all shall be cool with that and think about this twice before doing any shit to my work. Also I had already, nah, let me think, 6 PM's about broken configs and such stuff because of people who bungled around in my configs^^

Uhm, are you talking about me "editing his mod without permission"? :p

And what CarlGustaffa is doing, is an totally different thing since he was so kind to let me use all his "AWESOME" config work and config system structure I already love. Thanks to the change Carl, will take a look at this soonly.

To all the others, please dont see this kind of invasive, but I have to state my opinion. I know how many people love my mod and play with it each day, sure. Complete communinties playing with it. And all this only could happened because of people like CarlGustaffa, who always tried to helped, even as we had a bad confrontation some months or even a year back. Or like Mark XIII who just helped me so much to get into this buisness. But these small "I fix that" things, these "I shall post a video of my private soundmod collection" is just ruine everything in my eyes. Since you going to present YOUR taste, not the authors one, which is really important to keep a mod like this alive. I would never worked so hard on this mod, if I would had to do it for someone else instead myself...

Jarhead

Edited by LordJarhead

Wtf! This is non-issue.

Modularity MEANS that you can choose what files to use.

What LJH doesn't want is people editing the configs or the actual sounds. And rightly so.

However if someone finds a problem AND has found a solution then letting LJH know is the right thing to do. It's up to LJH whether he wants to use the 'fix'.

Exactly, Kremator. The problem then becomes when people mistake (either purposely or even innocently) Modularity to mean that they can freely and physically edit an authors hard work further to suit their tastes. And people are clearly doing this unfortunately which then is no longer a "non-issue". No we don't think this is done with any harm intended or for people to steal credits. That's not at all what we are hinting at and hope that I have not made anyone feel that I am saying they are. What I am trying to express here is that it is stated clearly the community cannot on a "whim" freely open LJ's work and edit or tweak things just because they don't like something.

Like you said--there is a big difference between doing this and someone who found a bug and decided to open things up and try to help LJ find something wrong and fix it. Sometimes that's great to do, especially when you can't figure out where the hell a certain bug is or why something went wrong and someone with more knowledge is able to find it. That kind of thing, I believe, is acceptable since the overall goal is to fix something that needs fixing. Not fixing something just because an individual may not like the way something generally sounds or something. Especially without even requesting permission to do so and declaring publicly on the forums that you are openly doing so. :p

Thanks for understanding what we're trying to say. Hopefully others will grasp it as well and see my words not as aggressive nonsense. ;)

Edited by Yokhanan

Where is the radio squelch (beep) pbo? Its a bit annoying to hear it everytime AI is reporting or repeating something. Just curious if its possible to make this sound player (human) only so there is less noise and more sound to hear? :)

Yes, it is called breaking squelch. Again, the military radios won't beep, but others do. Thanks for the info though. I will look through the files to see where it is.

Again, this mod is so good it is quite amazing!

EDIT: thanks gatordev for the tip! I've gone into the radionoise config and am tweaking now. This is truly modular, which is great for the user. LordJarhead, don't mistake my comments as being dismissive; your radio noise is extraordinarily good. We all just like to tweak things a bit ;)

EDIT: I should state when I was in we used PRC-77 and SINCGAR (pronounced "prick 77" and "sin gar"). No beeping on those. Perhaps the newer radios as used in game are different. I would be happy if someone would add some input on this.

I don't have much experience with SINCGAR. I've mostly dealt with either UHF secure and a couple of datalinks. I was referring to UHF secure, which has a ridiculous static sound and then a beep, which indicates the handshake has taken place. That's all I was referring to.

As for modularity, didn't meant to stir up a hornet's nest. All I meant is that I've removed the chatter.pbo.

LJH,

It's even easier to tell when someone is shooting, someone is shooting in your general direction and someone is actually shooting at you. Great job. Thanks again.

Yah, thanks. As said, the chatter was just for please my own taste. Do get over it soonish :P Two pages because of beep noises, hehe....

There will be new ones in JSRS 1.5.

Jarhead

Sorry had to :banghead: and smile at myself because I searched for "communication", "comms" and "chatter"....

Didn't listen to all of your sounds yet, guess next mission will be recon/stealth or something with artillery.

Keep on making the difference including modularity!

Usually the sound of the radio breaking squelch is to make sure the comsec is keyed before you start to send your traffic. At least from what I remember being told by our commo guys

Usually the sound of the radio breaking squelch is to make sure the comsec is keyed before you start to send your traffic. At least from what I remember being told by our commo guys

This, and it somewhat serves the same function in ACRE. Wait for the beep, if you didn't hear the beep then they probably wont hear you!

Maybe reduce the volume so one can still hear it but it wont annoy people with "beeping" AI's/players. Or have a feature that send something through the radio that will shock/silence those "beepers". ;)

You need to run the game as Combined Operations.

It works by simply loading the Arma data into OA. So you should ignore the Arma 2 folder and install your mods in the OA folder.

So I assume this isn't compatible with CO lite (i.e. OA + Arma2 Free)?

Just finished an MSO game and found these in the server rpt (but not client rpt):

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_cz550\bolt.wss'
Cannot load sound 'jsrs_l85a2\reload.wss'
Cannot load sound 'jsrs_l115a3\bolt.wss'
Cannot load sound 'jsrs_nlaw\reload.wss'
Cannot load sound 'jsrs_smoke\reload.wss'
Cannot load sound 'jsrs_rpg7v\reload.wss'

Running A2OA at 1.60.85750, latest CBA and JSRS 1.4.3. JSRS is installed on clients, but not server. Thought I'd pass them along to see if relevant. Thanks.