What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

Hello, great mod, my first time using it, but i have a question... i also use ACE2 so should i take out the @ACE_SM in the mod shortcut.exe? or should i have both up and it will just over write them.....

If JSRS comes after ACESM it will override most of it, but not reliably.

This is by far the most kick-ass sound mod ever. Playing with it takes my point of view on ArmA to a higher level.

Every time you get to shoot with your rifle JSRS makes you go "hell yeah babe."

Maybe I am sick, that's just me :)

No I think that's about it for most of us. Being suppressed is scary as hell, and the big guns against you leave dark stripes in your underwear :D

But one thing that is getting to me more and more, is the volumes. The mod makes VoN directchat completely impossible. In real life you can scream, but in game that only turns to clipped unreadable sounds. Typing is not a good replacement. And some of the vehicles (helis) sounds travel way too far. It's like better than perfect conditions. Often there will be wind that significantly reduces how far you can hear sounds, but the game doesn't take that into account. Also in some missions I will now hear when helis are being spawned, despite being very far away. So I would appreciate a little more sensible distances if possible.

Note that I AM using a personal ambiance sound mod, where I myself is fighting the volume fight (due way too many new classes). If you have none of these issues in the original, please disregard.

No I think that's about it for most of us. Being suppressed is scary as hell, and the big guns against you leave dark stripes in your underwear :D

But one thing that is getting to me more and more, is the volumes. The mod makes VoN directchat completely impossible. In real life you can scream, but in game that only turns to clipped unreadable sounds. Typing is not a good replacement. And some of the vehicles (helis) sounds travel way too far. It's like better than perfect conditions. Often there will be wind that significantly reduces how far you can hear sounds, but the game doesn't take that into account. Also in some missions I will now hear when helis are being spawned, despite being very far away. So I would appreciate a little more sensible distances if possible.

Note that I AM using a personal ambiance sound mod, where I myself is fighting the volume fight (due way too many new classes). If you have none of these issues in the original, please disregard.

I agree 100%, it is a great sound mod except for the fact that some of voulme levels carry too far.

Question for ACE users: do you get a *thumpthumpathumpathumpa* sound while you're ears are ringing from a rocket launcher?

JSRS seems to make it happen for some reason.

Yeah, now that people are bringing it up, last night I sprinted 500-1000m through Fallujah because I thought a convoy of trucks was just on the other side of the next building.

I love the loudness of the mod in general. It's enough to make a CoD player pee his pants.

That was exactly what I wanted to create! The awesome loudness of War! War is ugly! So why it should sound lovely :D

Ok ok, I know what you mean! The Vehicles are a bit to loud for ACRE or things like that. Maybe I fix that for next Release. But I dont think so. I can publish an Config-Update for those of you, who want Vehicles a bit less or so---

But at all, it have to be like this in my Opinion, its maybe because I'm not an Multiplayer-Player and do stuff like that on my own without Team-chat...^^

Jarhead

That was exactly what I wanted to create! The awesome loudness of War! War is ugly! So why it should sound lovely :D

Ok ok, I know what you mean! The Vehicles are a bit to loud for ACRE or things like that. Maybe I fix that for next Release. But I dont think so. I can publish an Config-Update for those of you, who want Vehicles a bit less or so---

But at all, it have to be like this in my Opinion, its maybe because I'm not an Multiplayer-Player and do stuff like that on my own without Team-chat...^^

Jarhead

I love the loudness of the mod too, because it is realistic, (as I stated earlier) but the sounds need to become less the further you get away from a tank or vehicle weapon. When your standing next to a something it should be very loud, that is what makes this sound mod great, but when you are 3 blocks from an abrams the sound should be alot different. Same with a helicopter. I also think that this needs to be applied in distance to small arms fire as well. Great mod Jarhead though, a user config file would be outstanding!! Also are you gonna do the Xm8 sound?

Edited by stevedrumsdw

Many sound mods overestimate how far even very loud sounds carry, and JSRS is certainly one of them.

The reason it's so hard to find references for the Mk. 19 or cannon on the Bradley is that the explosions are wimpy little pops by the time they travel a few hundred meters. This isn't a very serious problem for weapons, as it just makes the game sound more dramatic, but it can be very misleading for vehicle engines.

Does anyone have any advice on what pbos to delete in order to get JSRS working for Arma 2 without OA?

JSRS works fine without OA, barring save game corruption. But a good place to start would be simply deleting the .pbos that contain files mentioned in error messages and .rpt files. Everything is so modular that the locations should be a no brainer.

Hmm...

That should be a good start to delete. But I think there are some more. But I don't know at the moment. Just try with that:

JSRS_Weapons

• JSRS_M4A3
  • JSRS_M14
  • JSRS_SMAW
  • JSRS_FNFAL
  • JSRS_SCAR_L
  • JSRS_SCAR_H
  • JSRS_Glock17
  • JSRS_GP25
  • JSRS_LeeEnfield
  • JSRS_M60
  • JSRS_M110
  • JSRS_SA58
  • JSRS_SA61

JSRS_Environment

• JSRS_Movement

JSRS_Vehicles

• JSRS_AH64E
  • JSRS_AH6J
  • JSRS_CH47

"If you will have more errors comming up, please tell me so! I would really appreciated that, because there are more Aram2 Vanilla player out there waiting for this list."

Thanks so far.

Jarhead

Hey LordJarhead

I just wanted to ask if you have a approximate date for the next release?

Many Thx

No, not so far. -.- Im to much stressed on my Work and on the new Car and so on. There are not much things to do. I should really take an whole day and this is done so far. But this day is far away :( I hope you can wait a bit longer, friend. I do what I can!

Jarhead

No worry take your time ;)

Thx for the info and have fun with your G40 ;)

Haha Thanks Mate, yah I will^^ When its finished some day :-/ :D

Jarhead

NO DON'T TAKE YOUR TIME!!!! lol just kidding, what you have done is by far the best ever. Just don't think that we're completely impatient... well some of us might be but they'll just have to wait a little longer now won't they.

Don't push yourself to finish something if you don't have time, we'll wait and play and rant then wait some more. But not a single one of us will die if the newest version isn't released in three days.

Keep working and most importantly have fun with what your doing.

Until next time! *Salute*

Looking forward to the update, is there still a chance you might release the HK416/417 sounds early, as hinted on Facebook?

I hate that my commander is forcing us to use this mod, I told him its not complete yet and... I like to use my own prefference sound mod. Im not saying I dont like it, I like it, but not 100% yet :s

A hotfix restoring the functionality of savegames on non-OA systems would be MUCH appreciated. There only seem to be a half-dozen clearly-labeled config errors.

Hmm...

That should be a good start to delete. But I think there are some more. But I don't know at the moment. Just try with that:

JSRS_Weapons

• JSRS_M4A3
  • JSRS_M14
  • JSRS_SMAW
  • JSRS_FNFAL
  • JSRS_SCAR_L
  • JSRS_SCAR_H
  • JSRS_Glock17
  • JSRS_GP25
  • JSRS_LeeEnfield
  • JSRS_M60
  • JSRS_M110
  • JSRS_SA58
  • JSRS_SA61

JSRS_Environment

• JSRS_Movement

JSRS_Vehicles

• JSRS_AH64E
  • JSRS_AH6J
  • JSRS_CH47

"If you will have more errors comming up, please tell me so! I would really appreciated that, because there are more Aram2 Vanilla player out there waiting for this list."

Thanks so far.

Jarhead

I followed Maturin's advice and looked around my rpt. I deleted everything on your list except SA61, SMAW, GP25, and m4A3, the mod still works for me with those.

For some reason though, I had to delete a few extra files: AKM, RPK, and Bradley to get everything working, which is weird, because those weapons are in vanilla.

I hate that my commander is forcing us to use this mod, I told him its not complete yet and... I like to use my own prefference sound mod. Im not saying I dont like it, I like it, but not 100% yet :s

Simple get everyone to not to play on that server until its removed, he will change his mind soon enough :D

I followed Maturin's advice and looked around my rpt. I deleted everything on your list except SA61, SMAW, GP25, and m4A3, the mod still works for me with those.

For some reason though, I had to delete a few extra files: AKM, RPK, and Bradley to get everything working, which is weird, because those weapons are in vanilla.

Hey.

Yah there are some strange entrys in the AKM, RPK configs to get them running on OA! Its just because the mod is designed for OA, not Vanilla or OA Standalone. But thanks for posting this. This is good to know and I can work with that. So I guess I have to make some changes in the old Configs again. Thanks Mate.

Jarhead