What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

Been messing with the environment sounds lately. I don't have the bandwidth/speed to upload the 170MB sound package (+6.4MB for the updated AN2 and +9.3MB for the updated C130J), but I'll share the configs here:

I mean no disrespect Carl but I don't think publishing modified configs of Jarheads work, or uploading sounds to his thread is a good idea. Since Jarhead has soul rights to his work. I strongly suggest you contact him via PM an ask if its ok first to do so.

I appreciate you only want to make it better, however your stepping on Jarheads toes imo. Contact him mate, tis the right thing to do.

Also, I'm curious about where do you find information about which input variables can be used? Such as rpm, thrust, houses etc. Anyone?

I did make a thread about sound modding awhile ago, I'm sure some of your questions are answered there. If not, its a better place to ask ;)

SOUND MODDING 101 THREAD

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=79935&highlight=sound+modding+101

Like I said, no disrespect mate just a friendly nudge :)

The Ak74 thing is strange. I check this! ;)

EDIT: No error on the Ak74 so far. Works fine here, different Sound on Singlemode and Fullautomode.

Hi,

I noticed the same problem with the AK74's full auto mode. I don't play with ACE, do you ?

@Mark XIII:

1) We post and edit other peoples scripts all the time. Why are configs anything different? It's all in the open for anyone who downloads the mod, and I'm pretty sure he has based a lot on his stuff on other peoples work (like we all do). I'm a scripter/mission maker, not a modder, but many times a day I need to lookup stuff in various configs. If they were protected, I wouldn't be doing this game. That everything is sacred attitude is what caused me to drop out of the flightsim community - suddenly nothing was fun to do anymore.

2) Sounds were uploaded to a sharing site, and I only gave him the link for it, via PM. If the sounds or configs was crappy, common decency would be to let me know about it, no? But he never answered after I uploaded the files and gave him the link. Appears to be quite a busy lad atm, or his inbox is maxed (didn't get a warning, not sure how that works).

3) I've never seen offers to help, provided with full set of data, as stepping on someones toes - maybe I'm just a bit too oldschool. Sorry, I guess I was just too lazy to do a file compare and post only different lines :( It's for him to test and review before the first full release. If others want to employ my ideas into their own soundmods, why shouldn't they? For the rest, they couldn't care less about the configs, they just wants the mod :)

4) If he thinks I was out of bounds posting it like this, he is the one who should ask me to remove (or report me to a moderator). And I would happily remove it. No problems with that. You think I'm stepping on toes. I think I'm not. Maybe I'm wrong, but if so it won't change my standpoint on the matter. We just have to agree to disagree :)

5) Okay, I've asked my questions in the 101 thread, thanks for suggesting. Hoping for better luck there, as my cone question dropped to page two with no answers. Like too many of my questions :(

We post and edit other peoples scripts all the time. Why are configs anything different? It's all in the open for anyone who downloads the mod, and I'm pretty sure he has based a lot on his stuff on other peoples work (like we all do). I'm a scripter/mission maker, not a modder, but many times a day I need to lookup stuff in various configs. If they were protected, I wouldn't be doing this game. That everything is sacred attitude is what caused me to drop out of the flightsim community - suddenly nothing was fun to do anymore.

If I spent considerable time making something from nothing and then have people uploading there 'adjustments' for making it 'better' I'd personally wonder why I bothered putting considerable time into making it in the first place, I can't speak for Jarhead but personally my sound mods are my babies, each one crafted to suit my own personal tastes, each sound fitting together to make a symphony of war, you cannot blame someone if their vision is not following your own, neither can you modify and release it... And while config changes look harmless enough playing with them will ultimately break MP games because of the need for a key change. So many people could use these config changes, repbo and then not be able to get on their favorite servers. This isn't a mission or a single script is an entire sound addon that jarhead has spent time making, not a community effort.

2) Sounds were uploaded to a sharing site, and I only gave him the link for it, via PM. If the sounds or configs was crappy, common decency would be to let me know about it, no? But he never answered after I uploaded the files and gave him the link. Appears to be quite a busy lad atm, or his inbox is maxed (didn't get a warning, not sure how that works).

He may well be working hard in R/L, I'm sure you can appreciate that.

3) I've never seen offers to help, provided with full set of data, as stepping on someones toes - maybe I'm just a bit too oldschool. Sorry, I guess I was just too lazy to do a file compare and post only different lines It's for him to test and review before the first full release. If others want to employ my ideas into their own soundmods, why shouldn't they? For the rest, they couldn't care less about the configs, they just wants the mod

Like I said before mate, I ment no disrespect but your looking at it from your point of view not the authors. I can't argue that with your idea's, we all have em :) however the fact remains that its Jarheads mod, and he chooses what idea's are implimented or not. And, your right, people do just want the mod, but this guy has been working round the clock to make it better while everyone else just plays it. Maybe he's having a break, a well deserved one, or maybe he's working hard on it right now....Either way, people will have to wait for an update.

4) If he thinks I was out of bounds posting it like this, he is the one who should ask me to remove (or report me to a moderator). And I would happily remove it. No problems with that. You think I'm stepping on toes. I think I'm not. Maybe I'm wrong, but if so it won't change my standpoint on the matter. We just have to agree to disagree

Agreed.

5) Okay, I've asked my questions in the 101 thread, thanks for suggesting. Hoping for better luck there, as my cone question dropped to page two with no answers. Like too many of my questions

Nice one, I started that thread for the same reason, I too had/have questions regarding the sound aspects of the game. Maybe we'll get some answers.

OK, now back on topic..along the lines of 'This sound mod is awesome' :)

hi, just switched on this sound mod (my first). Loving emersion.

But are the silenced weapons (Mk16/17 SD ) deemed correct or WIP? For me they are too loud (well compared to vanilla).

Edited by cream-t

If someone from Kellys Heroes reads this, Something is wrong with the download for 3 PBO files from the Yoma Addon Sync Server that is dedicated to this mod.

File names are:

jsrs_t72.pbo

jsrs_uh1.pbo

jsrs_2a42.pbo

The files wont download & I cant figure out why ;(

First of all: Thank you for your trouble. Of course I get your data, but could not handle so far. I have a lot of stress and have not found the time to look after it! This need to understand easily.

But I can not understand how you just post something like you did here. On the whole, even the configs are not stolen. I asked and received permission for them! I've put a lot of effort into this mod! And without any disrespect: that which you try does not help me! It makes the mod broken earlier. If you posting something like that, will bring others to do likewise. Then everything goes wrong!

It's my job. And if you want to improve something, please be so kind as to send me a message! But not just post something pure. This is not good. And excuse me, but as I said, I imitate a lot and can not always respond immediately to any PM, not even within a few days. I just have no time left for them! This will improve soon, but until then, this must be easily understood.

Your work (yes I've seen it) is very good! And I know you want to help . But please let's do it internally and privately. Send me a PM. And just be patient if I do not answer immediately. I have never so far ignored anyone mention to the times.

I would not go hostile lord out of this thing, and I am very grateful for what Mark has written here. He is absolutely right. I am always open for improvements. But in recent times does not quite working. I need to worry much. Recently I received a larger list of issues by .kju. I had to do it in between!

Your work was still great. If you want to change the AN2 and the C130, then bring your own mod out for it if you did not have enough patience until I do it.

But, please, just let the fingers of my mod, it is not meant to be evil. It's just so that I do not barter for more of such mailings. If everyone would just change things in my mod and post it like you here, it would somehow not my mod, and that is what yes!

Apart from that, I'm sure that I have so far done a good job and the people could rely confidence on the changes now! But that's just blowing out the scale. I can not monitor or edit everything anyone tells me too. So please remove your post, PM me, let me see that just once at rest and then we will "eventually" come to a solution! But that day is really something not desirable. Neither me, nor by the users, nor of the forum. Just wait until I have found the time to personally take care of it. Then there will be a new version and all problems will be solved. Because there are not many problems left. But through these posts it will be once more.

Well, I will not have time to look after the mod and the forum a few days. So I will be at least a week away. I will ask MarkXIII to keep an eye on the thread.

Onces again: I cannot answer your PM's this week. Ok? I mean, I cannot even take a look into the Forum. So please, let just do it, like we did before, but with a bit more Time between my Posts... Im sry for this, Carl. I know you just want to help, but you started on the wrong end of the Line. :(

Hope this is done now. Sry for this. And Mark, really a big thank for you. You just wrote what I felt!

Thanks so far, everyone.

Jarhead

neither can you modify and release it...

I didn't. Two of the configs only LordJarhead have the sounds for, and are utterly useless for everyone else other than for learning purposes. The big one was also only a part of the full mod, which also won't work at all (or very badly) with the already existing sounds - it was an example of how to do it. Everyone else trying to replace the existing one would get a nasty surprise. Copy & paste of the configs are useless.

And while config changes look harmless enough playing with them will ultimately break MP games because of the need for a key change. So many people could use these config changes, repbo and then not be able to get on their favorite servers.

No, see reason above. Deleted now (as per request, which came at a strange time), but in the post I also gave information about what needed to be done to some of the sound files in order for the config changes to work. I'm making my own keys as needed so I can test my mission on our own server, and due to own creations I don't have much time to actually play much. So the key issue is a non issue for me. For others that tries to create keys, they should also be well aware of the problems they'll face on other servers. So it's really not an issue.

This isn't a mission or a single script is an entire sound addon that jarhead has spent time making, not a community effort.

Actually, it's only a single config from a modular based addon, not the entire sound addon. Everyone can use a different environment sound addon if they prefer.

your looking at it from your point of view not the authors. I can't argue that with your idea's, we all have em :) however the fact remains that its Jarheads mod, and he chooses what idea's are implimented or not.

As a (mission) developer myself, I for one appreciate other peoples input. I may choose to ignore silly requests if they don't add up to what my goals for the mission are, but all requests and suggestions are checked out with interest. That is my baby, and I've been working on it on a daily basis since Arma1.

Off course Jarhead decides over his own mod, I never implied anything else. I pointed out some problematic areas about rain sounds (needing wind), that I really hope is reconsidered (or I have no option than to use my own modified version - on my own server :o).

And, your right, people do just want the mod, but this guy has been working round the clock to make it better while everyone else just plays it. Maybe he's having a break, a well deserved one, or maybe he's working hard on it right now....Either way, people will have to wait for an update.

Yeah, but as a "playing developer" I feel it is my responsibility to point out problem areas. Nothing is perfect, and even this mod (which I love btw) isn't completely problem free. And I usually try to give as detailed feedback as humanly possible, even trying to figure out ways around them, unlike most who just complain (even constructively) about certain parts, without any real suggestions on how to fix it. The developing part of me would welcome such information, instead of leaving it up to myself to investigate. Saves my time. Others may be different. But it doesn't stop me from being who I am.

And no, naturally never with intent to upload to the general public (maybe clan members and friends) and/or claim it my own. If I'm a bad guy over this, I still have some dignity left :D

Edit: Added.

But please let's do it internally and privately. Send me a PM. And just be patient if I do not answer immediately. I have never so far ignored anyone mention to the times.

Roger, will do, no problems here. I guess patience is not my middle name, eheh :o

If you want to change the AN2 and the C130, then bring your own mod out for it if you did not have enough patience until I do it.

Ok, except I don't do modding - for reasons I expect you have figured out.

But, please, just let the fingers of my mod.

Sorry, you're asking the wrong guy. I love messing with stuff :D But okay I'll not post here.

Apart from that, I'm sure that I have so far done a good job and the people could rely confidence on the changes now!

I agree, you have. Yet stuff like the rain manage to slip through. It's not something you would notice unless mission deals with weather in a rather non standard fashion.And I've tried other sound mods with other serious issues of their own.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

@CarlGustaffa

I only have this to say..

I responded because I know Jarhead personally and we share the same thoughts regarding our work. Remember I was only privvy to whats been said on the forums (I cannot read other peoples inbox's or minds). So when I saw what you had written of course I was going to say something about it.

Your not a bad guy, and I for one are not making you out to be 'bad', just pointing out afew things that may concern the author of this addon. And, it would appear I was justified after Jarhead posted. While all of your points are more than valid, again thats your stance on the subjects in question, not mine or more importantly Jarheads.

Also, god forbid you stop sharing your thoughts an idea's, for that was not my intention. If I came down heavy its coz I know how Jarhead feels about his work. If I honestly offended you, then I'm sorry.

Its not my thread, its Jarheads so lets end this now and get back to be being the last in a dying breed of respectable men.

Sorry, probably just me getting a bit hot headed. As already explained, I'm not the most patient guy around, I want my answers yesterday, earlier if possible. :p

It's just that I don't always want to stay PM based, as you may loose important aspects you don't know about, coming from other players with more knowhow than myself, or the creator for that matter.

As apparently came up, kju has already sent a big list of issues. Had I known those, it could have saved me from a lot of trouble writing in the same stuff. That's another problem when basing all feedback on PMs. I see there is a dev-heaven page open, but it has no activity so I don't know if it's being used actively.

Now that that's behind all of us, I want to come in and dish out a another large helping of YOUR SOUND MOD IS AWESOME to LJ =)

When using your mod, I've only played with infantry until this evening, and I gotta say I was once again completely blown away but the quality of your mod. Thanks for all of your hard work LJ, I know there are a lot of people are enjoying your work every time they fire up Arma2. You should be proud of what you've been able to accomplish! Thank you thank you!

Carl,

Stay PM based <<<<< if you did this threads last couple of posts would never of happened, which means it speaks for itself, personally I would not dream of anything BUT PM, private discussion is private for a reason, public links = anyone can have configs and adds a can of worms with people using non signed work and confusion to the mix, and as help full as you are trying to be mate, best stay in PM land :)

Infact pretty much all I have read in the last page or so is PM based chatter :)

I will go as far as to post pointers, report issues and describe them, if I have some config fixes that could help, that's most deffo a PM because people might not want the extra work added to look at it while trying to focus on the task in hand.

Eager to help and adding extra issue to the mix are a little different I would say, you cant self appoint a modders sidekick! You dont want to turn into a soundmod bunny boiler! (I joke :) )

Anyway, looking forward to more audible delights here :)

Edited by mrcash2009

If someone from Kellys Heroes reads this, Something is wrong with the download for 3 PBO files from the Yoma Addon Sync Server that is dedicated to this mod.

File names are:

jsrs_t72.pbo

jsrs_uh1.pbo

jsrs_2a42.pbo

The files wont download & I cant figure out why ;(

sorry the the last page was spam :P

Jarhead, question -

can you explain with your own words what the first number after the sound file name does...? I am not getting clever with the wiki itself... :-/

I must have some how missed this being said but am I right in thinking we are supposed to delete A10 and GU8 pbos/bisigns and the same for the striker pbo/bisigns?

Is it possible to add ACE2 classnames to some sounds? The black furniture of the RPK-74 given to Russian Automatic Riflemen by ACE, for example, uses vanilla sounds when JSRS is installed. You can have its sounds covered by ACE_SM, but there is still a disparity in a weapon firing the same round. And I haven't tested but I assume that the wood furniture RPK-74 will have a JSRS sound as well.

BigPickle: Delete those, yeah. The A10 has a sound but it isn't finished.

One question, does the sound of the Airplanes machinecannons is works as intended?

For me the sound of the A10, Harrier, Su25 etc. machinecannons is very strange, just a silent "prrrrrrrt" nothing more. (In external view too; There the sound of the flying bullets and impacts is louder then the cannon itself)

One question, does the sound of the Airplanes machinecannons is works as intended?

For me the sound of the A10, Harrier, Su25 etc. machinecannons is very strange, just a silent "prrrrrrrt" nothing more. (In external view too; There the sound of the flying bullets and impacts is louder then the cannon itself)

The A-10 will probably have a suitably thunderous sound in the full version. But I think the rationale behind the jet cannon sounds is that you are only ever going to hear it up close when your are sitting on top of it and getting only the vibrations and dull echoes transmitted through the fuselage, drowned out by engines and headset.

And although jets fly way too low and slow in this game, ordinarily you would never hear the cannon firing on a distant jet over the general roar either.

And although jets fly way too low and slow in this game, ordinarily you would never hear the cannon firing on a distant jet over the general roar either.

I might have misunderstood this quote, but yes you do hear the gun over the general roar of the aircraft, its a hell of a lot louder than the engine noise, especially the A-10.

Often times we wouldn't even hear the A-10's engine, you would hear a ton of explosions, then the RRRRIIPPP from the A-10's 30mm.

I might have misunderstood this quote, but yes you do hear the gun over the general roar of the aircraft, its a hell of a lot louder than the engine noise, especially the A-10.

Often times we wouldn't even hear the A-10's engine, you would hear a ton of explosions, then the RRRRIIPPP from the A-10's 30mm.

No doubt, but the cannon on the Su-25, for example, has a rate of fire that can be as low as 300 rpm, and I think that sound could get lost quite quickly. And given that an airplane's autocannon is never going to go off right by your head, the sound should have a suitably distant, muffled character.

The A-10 should be as loud as shit, clearly.

maturin - Rgr thanks bud, just using Mark XIII's awesome GU8 sounds

I want to try them to. I download them ("HiFi_A10.pbo"), which JRSR files do I have to delete so I get the GAU8 sounds from Marks soundpack? "jsrs_a10.pbo", "jsrs_a10.pbo", "jsrs_a10_c.pbo", "jsrs_gau8b.pbo" and "jsrs_gau8b_c.pbo" right?

(I want to keep the rest of JRSR cause overall its the best pack there is)

EDIT: Fuck me, I downloaded the whole HIFI pack, didnt work, even when I removed all of the JSRS files. And when I downloaded an addon called GAU8 pack, I got a joke-addon which replaced the gunsounds with FARTS. Yes Im not joking -_-

Edited by Dr. Horrible

EDIT: Fuck me, I downloaded the whole HIFI pack, didnt work, even when I removed all of the JSRS files. And when I downloaded an addon called GAU8 pack, I got a joke-addon which replaced the gunsounds with FARTS. Yes Im not joking -_-

Yes, your not joking but I was... :)

I uploaded the GAU8 'F' (F is for FARTS) on April 1st this year.... Now, the original GAU8 was labelled GAU8 'B' (B for Burstfire). Someone on Armaholic decided to overwrite my old GAU8 B with the GAU8 F......

I did label them differently so they would NOT be overwritten, but I guess that didn't work out. LOL

If you require the B version, msn me and I'll send it you personally.

Sorry for the trouble :)

Regards

Mark