What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

Disclaimer: this is constructive feedback, I love the guns sounds and distant ambient effects, they blew me away. Most of this is great but here's some things that stuck out "for me" ...

Some Ak's seem like the first person fire can be lower than someone firing say 50 meters away, so some AK guns and some explosion fire need a bit more value balance as regards distant volume fall, some things stick out loud and yet are much further than the sounds level dictates (this can go for some US guns but cant off hand give you types), some large explosions seem to have this.

Which leads me onto bullet cracks. I love the actual muzzle effects and distant fire sounds you have, but there's nothing that really gives me a "snap" or "Crack" to indicate a bullet is snapping past me very close range. I only hear what I can only describe is a zinging laser sound which is a bit out of place, maybe take that zinging whiz sounds and actually have some random change crack, supersonic snaps maybe?

Also mentioned before the impacts bullet sounds, to me this area misses the quality of everything else, its too synthetic and doesn't sound like bullets are hitting around you on the surface you are on, sounds like a large cal gunner is hitting around you on a more metallic hard surface that something more general than earth thump and ricochet ping sounds.

I also notices a BIS stock large explosion sounds (that typical one you see in most online videos :) )got triggered so maybe one of the large explosions isn't configured right? I made sure it was only this sound mod too while playing around.

Walking sounds, they can sounds a little loud from your feet and also the sounds seem to me like they are in a dry small room, have you ever checked out VOP surface and walking sounds? Maybe for reference that's the best ive heard to date (and very similar in CMS2 also).

I also wanted to know what PBO contains the impact sounds? I wanted to replace them for personal use via switching pbo's around but I couldn't work it out.

This is some mighty fine work, and very immersive in a battle for sure. :cheers:

Edited by mrcash2009

Bloody well said mrcash! I dont think you even realize how good a sound mod this is for building blocks Jarhead :p Most of our clan are using this mod now and i can tell that in the very near future(with the right bug fixes and features) this will be the best sound mod to date! :rolleyes:

Some additions I did actually forget :)

Grenade explosion are really well sourced, but they end a bit too abrupt and not enough trail/trail off re-verb to them. Maybe let the fade out a little more like the gun environment reverb trails, they just seem a bit "full on impact, oops they ended quick" ... :)?

Reload sound, its a bit loud/clunky (my view of course) and from what I can see lasts longer than most animations, maybe tie it in more with anim?

Grenade throw is from what I can tell clothing/sleeve movement, could it be toned down a little and maybe a pin removal "plink" of the grenade added?

Sorry for some of my verbal/audio descriptions they probably read like im mental :p

Just to present a contrary view (and prove once again that sound is entirely subjective) I think the current impact and reload sounds are the best I've heard.

I also wanted to know what PBO contains the impact sounds? I wanted to replace them for personal use via switching pbo's around but I couldn't work it out.

I think it's supersonic.pbo in the JSRS-E folder, it contains all the impacts, explosions and supersonic snaps.

Just to present a contrary view (and prove once again that sound is entirely subjective) I think the current impact and reload sounds are the best I've heard.

Well my comments aren't the "sound" or its source IE what plays (that's in the bag) but its length with some gun reloads vs the animation, I think its the one where you get the final chamber load at the end, that one lasts longer than the anim (scars seem fine though), and level with it, IE its overall volume.

Well it is subjective I totally agree, although the impacts seem to me to be set if your getting hit on a heavy surface or even metallic, where as getting hit on grass or mud or on sand it doesn't fit to me (to me of course :) )

I must add that as regards grenade, standard hand grenades seem to be fine tail off wise, but M203 grenade explosions, some of them are a little cut short, and I think if i remember one of the hand grenade explosions.

I think it's supersonic.pbo in the JSRS-E folder, it contains all the impacts, explosions and supersonic snaps.

Yes sorry, the supersonic I realised were obvious but like you say that contains the impacts, shame , would be nice to have impacts / explosions / supersonic cracks all as a separate pbo.

Edited by mrcash2009

Ok, thank you all again for discuss my mod.

First i have to say, that i really working on this things, and, like you said mrcash2009, i thought today while hearing my explosions of grenades "Hey, there are really cut off a bit, they need more reverb soundings... longer, so everyone is going to say when a thing like this i exploding right next to him : Holy shit!!! :D

I thought about the reloads too. They are not fit right to the anims, but this hat a reason. I was trying my mod on different other addons like SLX, GL4, Propper, AnzingWeapons and so on and the anims length was getting changed in some mods. Hmm, so i thought, just make an reload sound that just let you hear what you doing. But i can make i fit to the anims of course. But this will take a will, a damn long while.

The bullet-impacts i want to rework anyway. On first tests it was an awesome sound, but the realism is of course not giving. And most of you want this realism i guess. So, next thing on the long list.

I love my movements! I dont think i will rework them AGAIN! Because i reworked all 600!!!! Sounds just two days ago, so they are a little bit lower volume and you dont hear them so directly like yet, like last release. There are fit now good to the Environment and to the rest, so the realism is a bit more givin'.

Hmm, so when the time is there, i maybe think about another splitoff the mod. That means what you asked for : Movement, Environment, Soniccracks, Explosions, Bullet-Impacts and so on. A bit more modular and easier to change for you i guess.

Some weapons was getting reworked. M14 for example. I reworked the Soniccraks again, but just for a test. They are not bad but not as nice as the first ones^^

Ok, did i something forget? Oh, yah, THANK YOU! Because of you i have always something to do:D:D Ok, i have enough to do, but its always nice to get an constructive feedback. Just make this mod better and better. It is was me, i would let it like it is^^ But you want it finish, working and without bugs. So, i have to work on now.

Thanks so far.

Jarhead

JARHEADDD!!!!!

This is the @#%@#%#@% bomb!!!!! Dont get me wrong I liked VOP and CSM. But they always seemed to lack something. Im more about atmosphere and CSM was top dog to me till you put yours out. I cannot believe this is your 1st mod!

That beeing said. And dont change nothing on my account its just one feedback... but the biggest thing that Id change would be I think it was when I shot a tank with an m4 by accident. It sounded like 3 or 4 bullet hits on the tank. I did this more then once and with just myself shooting.

Anyways thanks for the mod. It makes Arma way more enjoyable. lol I was actually jumping out of my seat when I put my platoon in a bad way with the bullets wizzing by my head and then I was hit by mortars!!!! holy #$%#$% I #$%$ near messed myself!!! LOL

lol All excitement aside. This is a top notch mod. Yeh some improvements can be made. BUT that beeing said I use this one over the ones more polished. That says alot as I can be abit picky about sounds. ;)

Mikey74

JARHEADDD!!!!!

This is the @#%@#%#@% bomb!!!!! Dont get me wrong I liked VOP and CSM. But they always seemed to lack something. Im more about atmosphere and CSM was top dog to me till you put yours out. I cannot believe this is your 1st mod!

That beeing said. And dont change nothing on my account its just one feedback... but the biggest thing that Id change would be I think it was when I shot a tank with an m4 by accident. It sounded like 3 or 4 bullet hits on the tank. I did this more then once and with just myself shooting.

Anyways thanks for the mod. It makes Arma way more enjoyable. lol I was actually jumping out of my seat when I put my platoon in a bad way with the bullets wizzing by my head and then I was hit by mortars!!!! holy #$%#$% I #$%$ near messed myself!!! LOL

lol All excitement aside. This is a top notch mod. Yeh some improvements can be made. BUT that beeing said I use this one over the ones more polished. That says alot as I can be abit picky about sounds. ;)

Mikey74

Hahaha, lol, thank you so much! :D

Jarhead

PS: I worked a bit on the Reloads, not changed them to fit more to the anims, this come another time, but i reworked the Volume a bit. All reloads was set 7DB lower than normal^^ lol, you think this is too much? The movement was getting reworked with 15DB or so^^

Here's what I like about JSRS, summed up in 30 seconds of blowing stuff up

rZh2wz6dcww

Turn those speakers up!

Edited by Das Attorney

Here's what I like about JSRS, summed up in 30 seconds of blowing stuff up

Turn those speakers up!

Thanks for the post, mate. Can i post the Videolink on first Page again?

Thanks so far.

Jarhead

First i have to say, that i really working on this things, and, like you said mrcash2009, i thought today while hearing my explosions of grenades "Hey, there are really cut off a bit, they need more reverb soundings... longer, so everyone is going to say when a thing like this i exploding right next to him : Holy shit!!!

Nice, holy shit is good :)

I thought about the reloads too. They are not fit right to the anims, but this hat a reason. I was trying my mod on different other addons like SLX, GL4, Propper, AnzingWeapons and so on and the anims length was getting changed in some mods. Hmm, so i thought, just make an reload sound that just let you hear what you doing. But i can make i fit to the anims of course. But this will take a will, a damn long while.

Thing is when the anims work in tandem with the gun anim (scars as an example) i completely get what you did, more of a syncing sound to what you "see" .. its just, unless I was mistaken one of them has the gun chamber pull back sound at the end which doesn't match the hand doing it, but on scars it doesn't trigger that one which works perfect as its then short and on time.

Either way im glad you happy with comments, certainly was supposed to be constructive and no bashing :) You really have something with this mate, its now set to default :)

Edited by mrcash2009

Nice, holy shit is good :)

Thing is when the anims work in tandem with the gun anim (scars as an example) i completely get what you did, more of a syncing sound to what you "see" .. its just, unless I was mistaken one of them has the gun chamber pull back sound at the end which doesn't match the hand doing it, but on scars it doesn't trigger that one which works perfect as its then short and on time.

Either way im glad you happy with comments, certainly was supposed to be constructive and no bashing :) You really have something with this mate, its now set to default :)

Of course I'm happy for comments. I want to see, how other people think about this mod. And of course: Without those comments i can make this better and better. Ok, i cant please everybody here, but i can do my best to make it an good all-rounder, not realistic, not too much sfx....

Ok, i think i much overrated the SFX until now, but this i how i like it. And much other player too, i see. Thank you all!

Jarhead

Yep loving this so far.....very well done! and good luck Jarhead.

Vid of just some fun with the mod :)

7lwH0NdDc-s

Yep loving this so far.....very well done! and good luck Jarhead.

Vid of just some fun with the mod :)

Nice vid!

how did you do the fog?

And jarhead..really nice mod mate! love it.

I've added the latest version to our Community YAS Repo...

**Kelly's Heroes Community YAS AddonSync AutoConfig URL sponsored by Nat & Whisper

http://www.kellys-heroes.eu/updater/ArmA2Community-Repository/ArmA2Community-Repo.7z

If you have the AddonSync installed, click on this and add from there -> Kelly's YAS Repos

Note that the URLs above are case-sensitive so pls make sure you entered exactly as provided above.

Do not forget to remove extra files through YAS after you update.

Well... I tested this and i gots to say that it is süperdüper awesome! :)

Nice vid!

how did you do the fog?

And jarhead..really nice mod mate! love it.

It's the ingame environmental modules and a Area fog script, plus a color tint.

you can download the mission in the info of that vid for a look at what i used.

hi here some LAV-25 these ones are cammra are unsurpressed so cation for you ears super load..

Just thought I would report that SCAR MK16 EGLM TWS seems to have reload sound missing?

Check it out incase I may be wrong.

I hope this was not reported yet, but there is no sound playing when the m134 is firing with 4000rpm.

This accounts for the US Army Blackhawk.

The AH6J m134 also has issues: in the weapon selection there are 7 slots: 6 times the m134 displayed as "Full auto" and 1 slot showing the hydras.

The m134 sounds different when cycling through the different slots.

Note that I really love your Soundmod, it's my new favourite, and about to become the best one out there!

I don't want to complain or something, just to point it out for you, as you might not have heard about that issue yet!

All the best, and keep the awesome work up!!

Can anyone else duplicate the issue of FFARs not having any firing sound?