Sign in to follow this  
GC_Axeman

Broken Record I know

Just wondering... Isn't there a REAL simple way to feedback the status of this game... How about a "Progress Bar"?

I know the teaser screenshots and video are great, but Im starting to join the angry brigade too.

No matter what line of work you are in, giving feedback and setting expectation is the first rule of customer satisfaction. ***Like most people perusing this site who are looking forward to this release, I have been delighted, teased, puzzled, frustrated, confused and downright pissed off by the progress of this game.

If someone gave a delivery time for your new washing machine of 3 weeks and it took four you would be annoyed. ***But if you were called beforehand with an explanation you wouldn't mind at all.

Come on guys, we don't mind how long it takes to re-create a classic, we just need an idea of the project plan you are working on and when this is coming out. A date, or an explanation why the washing machine is delayed!

Thanks ******

It's game development, it's either at the stage to show some screenshots or such or it's not, and right now it's not it's moving forward into the finishing straight and the focus is on getting the project finished not on interrupting the process for a "PR push", that'll come, I understand the frustration and eagerness to see more stuff but plenty of projects go on the "down low" throughout their development life, it doesn't mean it's cancelled as I have confirmed a number of times :)

If someone gave a delivery time for your new washing machine of 3 weeks and it took four you would be annoyed. ***But if you were called beforehand with an explanation you wouldn't mind at all.

It's not like anyone ever promised you they would release it at a specific time. It's the same story for any kind of public software: it'll be released when it's done, whenever that may be.

I not even that interested in a date and projected release date for the game but just some new info. Does not need to be a PR push as all, just a head up that things are progressing.

Think of it like computing and the progress bar, at first you did not get the bar and what did people do ? Panic, switch on and off because they were shown nothing and thought what ever they were doing was not happening.

Add a progress bar and the user is happy and understands it is working away.

Just now its like looking at a black screen.

Like I’ve said on here I followed a game that I thought looked very good. If I remember rightly it was “knights of the Sea†it was a PT boat game but it had no news and even when you went on official pages for the game it had last updated 2007 etc and this was looking in last year.

So I lost total interest, I don’t know if it ever came out.

I just hope that when the game comes out, it's very modable and customizable like ArmA/OFP and has a sweet map editor

Well, hopefully they use a similar (if not the same) scripting language/editing interface and similar data formats/tools. That way we can take advantage of the vast knowledge the community already has.

I don’t want a new sci-fi future Arma as I’ve never played Arma….I do want a carrier command game and with forgive a bit of FPS. Keep the magic of the original with options and vehicles and aircraft and defence systems and Island building.

Please for the love of god have me running up a beach like Rambo.

I don’t want a new sci-fi future Arma as I’ve never played Arma….I do want a carrier command game and with forgive a bit of FPS. Keep the magic of the original with options and vehicles and aircraft and defence systems and Island building.

Please for the love of god have me running up a beach like Rambo.

hmm... but you know that most of BIS community love OFP ?

i never played CC, but i saw screens from BIS and i thought "woooow what a dream environment"

See showing my age.:o

“OFP†and that is? :o

Don’t get me wrong I know the original was limited and if they had the chance they may well have had individuals running around. But I’ve yet to see Ai that looks authentic when dealing with say ten soldiers. BF2 played fantastic with human players but was just nonsense only with the Ai.

Lets just say if the game is 70% FPS and 30% carrier then I’m going to pass on it that’s for sure and when I get my new rig I’d rather buy a proper FPS.

It's just not the BIS-style...

BIS style is minimum information before launch, minimum information after launch. PR is simply not prioritized in their budget. For all I know, Paul is the only one paid explicitly to do that job, and that's just not much compared to some of the bigger publishers around.

Gladly, it doesn't make their games bad (infact they are quiet good), but sadly it does mean that not many people will ever hear about them.

The lack of any decent publisher, sadly also mean lousy customer support... For example, although I bought ArmA 2, it was surprisingly only a version that was redownloadable for 1 year which is expired now. That obviously means that I bought a retail product that I cannot legally play now. That obviously also means that I will have doubts buying any game from the same supplier in the future.

Too bad, cause it's BIS who is going to loose the money.

For all I know, Paul is the only one paid explicitly to do that job, and that's just not much compared to some of the bigger publishers around.

Nope. As you can read on the IDEA Games website:

IDEA Games

Employs game industry veterans from all three founding studios with vast experience in the field of game design and production as well as computer game sales/marketing, publishing and distribution.

hmm... but you know that most of BIS community love OFP ?

i never played CC, but i saw screens from BIS and i thought "woooow what a dream environment"

The original Carrier Command was a lot like Battlezone and Battlezone II. It's a combination of real time strategy and FPS. You can monitor all units, command any unit, while piloting individual units. There were not groups of units (probably due to the state of the processing power back then). The units you were not piloting operated as robots. You could remain on the carrier and let everything operate on autopilot but it was more fun taking the controls and actually necessary to intervene at times to ensure success.

You had to capture the majority of a chain of islands. When an island was neutral you could build a base that either produced weapons, fuel, or (I can't remember but you get the point). If the island was captured, you had the option of keeping it as is or destroying the old base and changing what type of resource it produced just like a neutral island.

Both sides eventually met in the middle which changed the game strategy to capturing enemy islands while defending your own. You could only be at one island at a time so while you are busy capturing an island, one of your islands could also be under attack. Who was the more efficient would win the game.

The Battlezone franchise was very much like this. Anyone who's played them is out there asking why Battlezone 3 is not in the works (Hint to Bohemia!!!).

I too hope this remake preserves the essence of the original but I'm certain it will be much more elaborate and perhaps entirely new in a lot of ways.

Patience everyone.

When an island was neutral you could build a base that either produced weapons, fuel, or (I can't remember but you get the point).

There were three types - Factory (production of vehicles and weapons), Resource (fuel) and Defence island :)

Plus the main island was Base type - it was all three types combined.

I too want battlezone 3, or any other game where you can actually take control of that stupid unit and do the work right :)

Anyone remember Urban Assault?

Another great sci-fi RTS where you could directly control tanks, turrets and aircraft. I only played the demo but I remember it being very in-depth. I'm starting to really look forward to Carrier Command now, I miss the old unique, off the wall RTS games...

For example, although I bought ArmA 2, it was surprisingly only a version that was redownloadable for 1 year which is expired now. That obviously means that I bought a retail product that I cannot legally play now. That obviously also means that I will have doubts buying any game from the same supplier in the future.

Who was that from? Certainly it's not the case with Sprocket.

Does anybody know if BIS is attending Gamescon?

Would be the place to be to show off something new regarding this game, i'd say.

News please??

Until they actually decide to publish news, asking once, a hundred, or a thousand times for news won't make them change their marketing strategy. Since they have not posted anything news, I assume the following is still valid.

It's game development, it's either at the stage to show some screenshots or such or it's not, and right now it's not it's moving forward into the finishing straight and the focus is on getting the project finished not on interrupting the process for a "PR push", that'll come, I understand the frustration and eagerness to see more stuff but plenty of projects go on the "down low" throughout their development life, it doesn't mean it's cancelled as I have confirmed a number of times :)

Personally, I prefer no release date and no progress bar. It encourages the kind of thing that gave us Ultima 9 (released WAY to soon to keep their word on a release date). Look at Diablo 3. In development for what, 3 years now?

Reading how this tread as evolved, sure it would be nice for them to give us stuff to chew onto until the main course gets here. I hope it wont be rushed, and will have a classic mode (original CC) with the more interesting options available (Multiplay and map editor... maybe pushing it as to have a vehicle editor/moding program; who knows).