Sign in to follow this  
The Hebrew Hammer

Buying a new PC for ArmA II

I know basically nothing about gaming computers, I'm a console player here. I'm tired of arcade games, and OFP DR was a total flop. What would be the best option for someone with a budget? I have no idea how to install any parts, so I was thinking of getting an Alienware since it's marketed as a gaming computer. But I have no clue what I'm talking about so I came to the ArmA forums.

Also I'd like to use an Xbox 360 controller if possible(not very good with a mouse), could this be done?

Also what mods should I get, I've heard of ACE 2.0 and soundmods, etc, but which ones are essential? I also plan on getting OP: ArrowHead as well.

Newegg.com

Xbox controller with arma 2 is a big no no. too many actions for a few measly buttons.

you need at least 4gb ram if your going win7 or vista OS

quad core cpu 2.4ghz

9800gt + graphics card

my friend updated his computer for starcraft 2 and other games for around 350 dollars and I built it for him.

Some people use controller for flying and driving. I suggest to try using keyboard and mouse, it takes some getting used to but this game uses far too many keys for the 12 buttons plus sticks on controller. I'm a converted console player too. You won't regret getting a rig to play this game.

The Xbox controller is is up to you, just remember a lot of keybinds exist for the game and while some are redundant, many of them will not fit on a xbox controller so you may still have to reach for the keyboard once in a while.

As mentioned a good quadcore cpu is a must due to the heavy cpu usage of the game, however not all 2.4ghz quads are alike. If you do go for Alienware, then I hope for the money you are going to spend on that the cpu is a intel 920 or better (depends on the mobo and socket).

Flash made the good suggestion of a 9800gt or higher video card, I would definitely aim for higher. OA introduced some additional post processing features and while the game is CPU heavy, it does put some stress on a GPU as well when you want to run with higher view distances at higher settings (and higher resolutions). I'd go for a GTX260 or better (even the GTX4xx cards if you have the money) or their ATI counterparts. All these options are made available via Alienware's deskotp pc options, but as anyone will tell you, they are rather expensive pc's when you can build your own for cheaper, but if you are absolutely convinced that you cannot "do it yourself" then either go a head with Alienware, or try and find someone you know who can put your pc together for you.

As for the parts, all of that depends on what you are willing to spend, but don't be afraid to look up benchmark scores yourself to make your conclusion, Tom's Hardware is a good site, though specifically they do not have many if any ArmA2 benchmark scores at all, but you can still make comparisons between cards from other games, as well as CPU comparisons.

Now Placebo should be around shortly to lock this topic and direct you to the dedicated topic for this discussion so have fun reading up on other suggestions, many which are probably better than mine and in more depth.

Edited by Steakslim

Alright, thanks, I figured it would get locked but I simply needed a tl;dr because I didn't have the time today to wade through the stickies. I also did only basic research because I figured the people who play ArmA II know much more about what system specs are good.

I guess I'll just have to get used to a keyboard and mouse then.

I would recommend going for (these are options if you are going Alienware):

i7 920

6GB DDR3 RAM

HD5870

500GBx2 RAID0 HDDs

Or better, obviously.

Not going to be cheap though...

If youre getting an ati card, prepare to do little tweaking with 3rd party software if you dont want a horrible game experience (unless you have a 120Hz or CRT monitor, then VSYNC wont matter much.)

Newegg.com

That is for US exclusivly

Depending on what your budget is, there are different options. You can build a game rig for 500EUs that will play the game, and you can build a 1600EUs rig that will play it on high settings.

XBOX controller....i would get used to a mouse really. There are 100+ key commands for A2, you won't be able to use all on a controller, no matter what

My setup,

bfg 285gtx oc2 1 gig

intel quad Q9400 2.66mhz

4gig 800mhz ram

xp pro 32bit

No over clocking needed

I play at max settings but with no aa and no pp( i dont need aa and i dont like pp), my res is set at 1680x1050 and i use 125% 3d res:D

My view is set to 4000 when im on the ground, when im flying fast jets i set it to 5000, but i'm using 3 22" monitors and have the res at 5040x1050 and 100% 3d:cool:, when i'm flying choppers on 1 monitor at 1680x1050 i set it to 10,000(max) and 3d res at 125%(death from above mission with this view is :eek:)

I am very happy with my setup and at the moment dont see the need to upgrade, my game play is very smooth running with no stuttering at all. My fps on the OA bench mark is 32 at 4000 125% 3d res and all settings maxed but PP & AA is off, a better setup is a bonus but not needed imho

Don't buy anything of the shelf. To build or better put the parts for a PC together isn't exactly rocket science. I'm quite sure you can find somebody in your vincinity who can do this for you and that for half the money you'd to pay at the Aliens. ;)

Only thing I wish I had from alienware is the case, they look super awesome.

But as others pointed out, getting someone or learning to build comp yourself gets A-LOT cheaper. ;)

For all those billionares playing Arma2-OA:

MOBO: EVGA Classified Super Record 2 (SR-2) 600€

GPU: 3x GeForce GTX 480, 1536MB GDDR5 3x460€=1380€

PROCS: 2x Intel® Xeon® Processor X5680 2x1600=3200€

MEM: G.Skill’s DDR3 48GB (4GBx12) 1,900MHz CL8 Ripjaws 2900€

PSU: SilverStone Strider ST1500 1500W 330€

CASE: LIAN-LI ARMORSUIT PC-P80 FULL TOWER 300€

SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB SATA3 RAID-0 2x600€=1200€

-------------------------------------------------------------

=9910€

Oh... and if you can spare some more:

OCZ Z-Drive R2 e88 9600€

as dedicated Arma2 drive.

=19510€

And add a decent water cooling.

Maybe you could play Arma2 with this comp on medium settings.

Edited by Väinämöinen

The best advice is to learn how to assemble a PC and what parts do what so you can make the decision yourself rather than trust others :)

Dont forget to get a Masters degree at least in computer science and electronics engineering

Seriously even with all my knowledge in electronics I still make mistakes hooking up all the power cords. FPDR

:p

Post the progress here OP

Hey Hebrew Hammer, what is your budget? Without a number, no one can give you any real advice.

Alienware & co is a NO NO especially if you are on a budget and seek the best performance for the buck.

Once we know what you are willing to spend, we can point you to the right parts, assembly is easy even with 2 left hands.

I think this should be in the sticky but since none say anything:

- INTEL Core i7 930 2.8Ghz

- ATI HD5870 Sapphire 1GB Vapor-X GDDR5 2xDVI/DP/HDMI

- Antec Twelve Hundred

- ASUS 1366 P6T DELUXE V2

- DDR3 1333Mhz PC10666 12GB Corsair XMS3 Classic (6x2GB)

- Western Digital 1TB WD1002FAEX 7200rpm 64MB Black

- INTEL SSD 80GB 2.5" X25-M Postville retail <--- win 7 + ARMA2 + OA

- Samsung LCD 25.5" SyncMaster T260HD Rose Black

- LOGITECH Z520

- Logitech Gaming Keyboard G110 & MXâ„¢518 Optical Mouse Bundle

- 650-700W psu

- other stuff

This is roughly what i'm going to buy, i think i might change the mobo to something newer, perhaps the ram based on the new mobo, what do you say.

intel dx58 "smackover" i7 930, 8gb patriot 1600mhz ram, 9800gtx, all updated, the works, etc, etc. game's running 50+ fps with nothing, 10-20fps with action happening. temps are normal, 650w power supply, btw, i'm not computer illiterate. other games are 100+ fps

i was not impressed by the supposed "performance improvements" promised for oa.

just fyi. i don't want anyone updating their system to a brand new i7 quad core thinking they're gonna get amazing frames, the finding out the game still lags.

intel dx58 "smackover" i7 930, 8gb patriot 1600mhz ram, 9800gtx, all updated, the works, etc, etc. game's running 50+ fps with nothing, 10-20fps with action happening. temps are normal, 650w power supply, btw, i'm not computer illiterate. other games are 100+ fps

i was not impressed by the supposed "performance improvements" promised for oa.

just fyi. i don't want anyone updating their system to a brand new i7 quad core thinking they're gonna get amazing frames, the finding out the game still lags.

Your GPU is 2 generations (generations, not models) behind...as with any game, a powerful CPU does not help if you have a GPU bottleneck.

I know basically nothing about gaming computers, I'm a console player here. I'm tired of arcade games, and OFP DR was a total flop. What would be the best option for someone with a budget? I have no idea how to install any parts, so I was thinking of getting an Alienware since it's marketed as a gaming computer. But I have no clue what I'm talking about so I came to the ArmA forums.

Also I'd like to use an Xbox 360 controller if possible(not very good with a mouse), could this be done?

Also what mods should I get, I've heard of ACE 2.0 and soundmods, etc, but which ones are essential? I also plan on getting OP: ArrowHead as well.

i bought an alienware aurora

and it really is good if you customize (can be done on website)

you can make a computer thats is very good to play arma.

you have several settings (can be edited) to customize your computers performances so its really nice to play with it

Well, Alienwares run for around 1300 or so I think. So maybe anywhere from 900-1000 dollars then. The problem for me is:

-Even with research I would need an entire list of every single part I would need

-A way to actually put it all together myself

I have some friends I know that that could do it, but they're going off to college. I probably wouldn't consider making the switch to a PC until after christmas so the I would have some "financial aid". The guides I've seen for building your own PC require some knowledge, that's something I could only gain by experience really. I mean, I get the basics of what a graphics card, HD, etc. is but there are obviously tons of brands and models for me to wade through.

For all those billionares playing Arma2-OA:

MOBO: EVGA Classified Super Record 2 (SR-2) 600€

GPU: 3x GeForce GTX 480, 1536MB GDDR5 3x460€=1380€

PROCS: 2x Intel® Xeon® Processor X5680 2x1600=3200€

MEM: G.Skill’s DDR3 48GB (4GBx12) 1,900MHz CL8 Ripjaws 2900€

PSU: SilverStone Strider ST1500 1500W 330€

CASE: LIAN-LI ARMORSUIT PC-P80 FULL TOWER 300€

SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB SATA3 RAID-0 2x600€=1200€

=9910€

Oh... and if you can spare some more:

OCZ Z-Drive R2 e88 9600€

as dedicated Arma2 drive.

=19510€

And add a decent water cooling.

Maybe you could play Arma2 with this comp on medium settings.

I think PSU cant handle this.

And add phase cooling :)

Well, Alienwares run for around 1300 or so I think. So maybe anywhere from 900-1000 dollars then. The problem for me is:

-Even with research I would need an entire list of every single part I would need

-A way to actually put it all together myself

I have some friends I know that that could do it, but they're going off to college. I probably wouldn't consider making the switch to a PC until after christmas so the I would have some "financial aid". The guides I've seen for building your own PC require some knowledge, that's something I could only gain by experience really. I mean, I get the basics of what a graphics card, HD, etc. is but there are obviously tons of brands and models for me to wade through.

The $1300 Alienware does not deliver the goods in terms of ArmA 2 performance. SLI/XFire with 2 low end GPUs is far worse than one proper GPU.

Here's what I would suggest as a well rounded Alienware system for gaming (comes at $1699):

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i5 750 Quad Core 2.66GHz (8MB Cache)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

VIDEO CARD ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 5870, 1GB GDDR5

MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 XMP

HARD DRIVE 1TB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 32MB Cache HDD

OPTICAL DRIVE 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability edit

SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

MONITOR No Monitor

KEYBOARD No Keyboard

MOUSE No Mouse

The only issue is: You can get a better spec'd system for 1/3 less. And reallly, if you don't plan to overclock (which you should eventually look at), assembly is really not much more than plugging the right cable into the right jack and tightening some screws. And there's always people to help on this and other forums.

Here's a budget system that will perform very well with ArmA or other games (better than the $1699 Alienware), all for $1150 (all from newegg):

MSI P55-CD53 ATX Intel Motherboard $109.99

Intel Core i5-760 2.8GHz Quad-Core $209.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit $99.99

LG 22X DVD Burner - Model GH22NS40 $17.99

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s $89.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W Power Supply $89.99

XFX Radeon HD 5870 HD-587X-ZNFV Video Card $379.99

OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) XMP-Ready Rev.2 Desktop Memory $99.99

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58 Black Computer Case $49.99

Grand Total: $1,147.91

There is a very clear pinned thread where all such discussions belong.