Sign in to follow this  
wiggum2

[OA] Co04/SP - Just a Patrol...

Just a Patrol... v1.2

japry38.jpg

Description:

Patrol through the outskirts of Zavarak. Make sure you visit the marked positions ALPHA, BRAVO and CHARLIE.

You also should try to locate and destroy a cache used by the insurgents, but this is a optional task !

Features:

• No addons needed !
  • US Army against Insurgents
  • Choose your gear during briefing
  • Custom color correction
  • 3 touch objects (ALPHA, BRAVO and CHARLIE)
  • One optional task (locate and destroy a cache)
  • Special script to automatically heal legs (thanks to Celery !)
  • Special heal script (thanks to Zipper5 for the idea and the soundfile !)
  • Enemy small-arms accuracy reduced (thanks to shk !)
  • Arwarness script for the enemy forces (thanks to afp !)
  • More human players = more enemys

Changes in v1.1:

• Respawn removed (i just dont like it...)
  • Markers now change color
  • Less civilians in the village
  • Completly redone enemy positions and behaviour
  • Now uses the SHK_moveobjects script

Changes in v1.2:

• Completly redone civilian behaviour (they now act much more believable !)
  • Added some kind of "story" (chat with HQ)
  • Adjusted enemy behaviour
  • Color Correction can now be removed via 0-0-1

Download:

Co04/SP - Just A Patrol v1.2

Armaholic mirror

Edited by Wiggum

How does it perform FPS-wise? :)

Should be no problem with the FPS, this is a small size mission.

Just a patrol my ass!!

Should have named it "One Hell of a Patrol".

Liking it very much!

Fun mission. Thanks!

I UnPBOed to make it respawn to GROUP instead of BASE (personal preference), and saw that all your civs have waypoints of Search & Destroy and Cycle.

Why Search & Destroy for the Civs? Does that make them move in a more interesting way or something?

Why Search & Destroy for the Civs? Does that make them move in a more interesting way or something?

Because the Civillian-Modules dont work in MP very well.

If you give them a SAD and a CYCLE waypoint like i did it they move around the area randomly and maybe enter buildings too.

v.1.1 is ready, see first post for more informations and download link !

v.1.1 is ready, see first post for more informations and download link !

download link is broken for v 1.1 :butbut:

download link is broken for v 1.1 :butbut:

NO. Armaholic did give advanced notice that the site would be down for a very short while.

Give 'em a little time.

Another clever scenario, albeit I did find it lacking in military purpose and well.. narrative drive/excitement outside the shooting bits.

Overall a decent way to spend 20-25 minutes, and I did feel the presentation of the mission was functional and effective.

1. Clarify the Objective

Destroying the military cache is an optional objective -- it would be helpful it was tagged as such in the tasklist. ie: [OPTIONAL] or [bONUS]

Also is the military cache a Mortar and RPG7 ammo crate? If so I experienced this appearing about 30m away from the insertion point (on the road).

2. Healing

I'm not sure I like the healing system. Why the arbitrary 1 heal limit? Besides being inconvenient (if you are unfortunate) I fail to see the tactical or gameplay benefit of such a system.

A more effective game mechanic to enforce teamwork and squad cohesion be to give all soldiers infinite revives and heals -- but fail the mission if X* or more soldiers become incapacitated.

*suggest 2, but number might be determined at mission start up?

3. Replayability

By reconfiguring the mission as a Special Forces type raid and introducing a few random spawning locations you could give the mission infinite replayability.

Exfiltration location could remain static and still guarded by infantry.

4. Civilian Traffic

Adding some civilian traffic in the form of cars on the road would add significantly both to the tension and the immersion of the mission. Particularly if there is the offchance of one vehicle containing or being enemy.

-k

Edited by NkEnNy
edit: added #4 Civilian traffic

Thanks for the feedback !

1. Clarify the Objective

Done...

Also is the military cache a Mortar and RPG7 ammo crate? If so I experienced this appearing about 30m away from the insertion point (on the road).

Yes, i saw that this problem could occure sometimes, it is fixed in v1.2 !

2. Healing

Added unlimited healing ability in v1.2 !

I know that not everyone will like this system but i really hate the first aid system where you get hit in the lags, can move and have to wait for a medic to heal you...this is a shooter in my opinion and should have a more action style first aid system.

I use the heal script (you can heal yourself if you get wounded) and a automatic legheal to prevent the player from having to crawl if hit in the legs.

3. Replayability

By reconfiguring the mission as a Special Forces type raid and introducing a few random spawning locations you could give the mission infinite replayability.

I made the enemy forces in v1.2 even more random, so i dont plan to add other stuff for more replayability at the moment

4. Civilian Traffic

Adding some civilian traffic in the form of cars on the road would add significantly both to the tension and the immersion of the mission. Particularly if there is the offchance of one vehicle containing or being enemy.

Probem is, the traffic could get stuck what really would brake immersion if a car makes a stupid turn or crashes constantly.

I dont plan to add civilien traffic, mission should stay simple

Is a v 1.2 in the works?

Yes, i will do some final changes and fixes with v1.2 !

Should be ready next weekend.

Played it yesterday for about 1,5 hours.

Civilian behaviour breaks the atmosphere imo, propably make them running out of the village when shooting starts or the INS enter the town. This would be a common scenario in AFG.

Nevertheless, had great fun. Good job.

Played it yesterday for about 1,5 hours.

Civilian behaviour breaks the atmosphere imo, propably make them running out of the village when shooting starts or the INS enter the town. This would be a common scenario in AFG.

Nevertheless, had great fun. Good job.

...wait for v1.2 !

I now have found a way to let all civilians run away as sonn as the firefights starts.

Edited by Wiggum

Ok, i cant do that thing with the optional respawn...so v1.2 will still have no respawn at all.

But most parts of the mission are now really improved in v1.2 !

• Fixed Civilian behaviour
  • Civilians now run away as soon as the firefight starts
  • Added a little "story" to the mission (funny chat with HQ)
  • Enemy forces now should act much better
  • Enemy force is much more random
  • ColorCorrection can now be removed if you dont like it
  • Many other small fixes

So i think v1.2 should be much more fun in SP and Coop, realase most likely next weekend.

Ok guys, v1.2 is ready ! :yay:

Changes in v1.2:

• Completly redone civilian behaviour (they now act much more believable !)
  • Added some kind of "story" (chat with HQ)
  • Adjusted enemy behaviour
  • Color Correction can now be removed via 0-0-1

There are also some new Features, so read through that list too.

Download-Link can be found in the first post.

This should be the final version, i will not add new stuff to this mission in any future version.

So please only post Bug Reports, no future requests !

Nice job with "Just a patrol". If you want to make some edits for realism, how about having a chopper land at Alpha after it is cleared. The chopper could resupply and have a medic on board. Then the chopper leaves and the patrol continues.

Nice job with "Just a patrol". If you want to make some edits for realism, how about having a chopper land at Alpha after it is cleared. The chopper could resupply and have a medic on board. Then the chopper leaves and the patrol continues.

Like i said before, i will not add any new futures like that helicopter. ;)

@ all

I just played the mission myselfe and was abel to complete all objectives with 1 men lost. During playing i discovered a few minor bugs so there will be a v1.3 soon, it would be cool to get some more feedback about v1.2 so i can fix some more stuff in v1.3 !