Sign in to follow this  
AnimalMother92

Do you want upgraded Arma 2 content?

Interested in upgraded A2 content from BIS?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in upgraded A2 content from BIS?

• YES, and I would pay for it as DLC
    • YES, but only as a free patch
    • NO, focus on new stuff
    • I have a better idea (post below)

Hi,

There's your answer. They aren't currently working on it and it seems unlikely to ever happen. End of thread.

I bought OA and BAF (I wont buy PMC) to use is content with A2.

So, the lack of synergy between OA and A2 was a disappointment to me.

It should be like a LEGO system; everything should work together... BAF DLC not bad for that.

Honestly, I gradually lost my interest for this game. My hope is in CSLA mod.

Free or not, DLC or Stand alone I dont care, I want things work together.

A2 and OA can hardly be used together so it's 2 different game for me.

My opinion, my frustration...

Thank you.

-Luc-

Yes, upgrade the ArmA 2 content to OA standards, no - don't charge us for it, it will not be well received considering you are already making the necessary revenue from DLC, we are perhaps the most supportive community around, a free patch seems only like the right thing if we are to support all future releases to the same extent.

^This

Not everything can be brought to "OA standards" simply because the new build of the engine doesnt allow of it. The old engine can't understand new tasks that the newer build of Real Virtuality can.

Less technical people:

For units and such new shaders that have been introduced in RV3 make porting these units or bringing them to "OA standards" is a large workload

new properties like UV maps, Normal maps all them fancy shaders need to be placed and the FLIR maps alone would be alot of work.

:)

i am upgrading my Arma2 addons to OA and i will tell you

if i had "team of few men who follow orders " it is few days

how ?

just add thermal map path to RVMAT

make proper thermal map

binarize MLOD once again

big deal ?

no , few minutes for each model

of course Arma 2 has environment which has thousands of objects, textures

but doing it to 20 vehicles, 20 soldiers would take few days

at least for me (if working 10-12h/day)

doing thermal maps and binarizing MLOD again is not big deal , just marking "hot" and "hot when move" areas on texture of vehicle (or adding alpha channel on units/rifles)

i am updating Polish pack (more work), vehicles packs should have all FLIR since last update, i know what i am saying

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8363/new1l.jpg

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4442/new1hb.jpg

like UV maps

i am sorry but do you know what you are saying ?

no need to change anything in UV when making Arma2 to OA

UV is since OFP :P

"camo to config" is property since Arma2 and probably could even be in OFP by script

However a lot of people still care about A2. Call it curse of success

cause a lot of people feel bored with "desert warfare" "top modern equipment of special forces"

many still love "historic warfare" or "woodland areas" when they feel themselves home (like i feel good at Chernarus, Sbrodj,OFP/CWR when it will come)

i don't like "desert modern warfare" at all, i don't identify with character "on desert with SCAR"

i love more "old AK in forest near old house"

Edited by vilas

Thank you Vilas for replying!

You have experience adding these features to your units so nobody can argue that it's impossible or takes too much time.

BIS either has it's full crew on a new expansion/dlc or a new game. They must have a good reason?

i love more "old AK in forest near old house"

Last time i checked this was possible, nothing of that changed with the arrival of OA.

I dont get what this whole fuzz to upgrade content is about? Just to be able to have some white areas here and there on a black/white view... ? This thermal stuff, i dont see how this adds anything important to the game besides making it easier to play it. If it was to look cool i don't understand it either coz running around with that stuff looks nerdy aswell...

Where did the game ricochets from being a shooting game into the gadget show?

Edited by Chill xl

I dont get what this whole fuzz to upgrade content is about? Just to be able to have some white areas here and there on a black/white view... ? This thermal stuff, i dont see how this adds anything important to the game besides making it easier to play it. If it was to look cool i don't understand it either coz running around with that stuff looks nerdy aswell...

yes and no

probably people love FLIR as you said - easier to play/survive

i like "historic" so i don't care about FLIR and OA

but for majority it may be important to have BMP3, T90 with thermals (specially for people who love modern stuff, many many people would prefer modern stuff over cold war )

It's nice to be able to play with everything ;) 1 day play with high tech stuff, another play as a terrorist with AK-47, etc etc.

Even low tech soldiers should be able to carry a rucksack. Thats one of the reasons I would like A2 content to be up to date.

I'd love an official patch for Combined Ops only that would update the "config-only" things like weapon zeroing, no-NVGs-while-looking-through-scope, thermal sights on vehicles and more for ArmA 2 content.

That way, everyone in a server using the "inferior" ArmA 2 things (For example, Warfare CO) in the East side won't have such a bad disadvantage not having those AO features like FLIR.

yes and no

probably people love FLIR as you said - easier to play/survive

Might want to cut out the survive part. Its now much harder to hide if FLIR is on the battlefield

But in the end. Most of what the people are asking is just proper Thermal maps for the A2 Content and FLIR on them. (for the Vehicles that have FLIR in Reality that is).

Edited by Haystack15

Might want to cut out the survive part. Its now much harder to hide if FLIR is on the battlefield

But in the end. Most of what the people are asking is just proper Thermal maps for the A2 Content and FLIR on them. (for the Vehicles that have FLIR in Reality that is).

And Flares and IHADS where it is still missing. And some rifles still use the "magic night vision" device with NV-Googles. (ACOG, PSO) Edited by Beagle

And usable backpacks on all units.

And usable backpacks on all units.
that's such a feature we could live without especially since the old ArmA 2 models have backpacks in the model itself...thats not easy to change with a .cfg tweak and a texture swap, but the rest is.

that's such a feature we could live without especially since the old ArmA 2 models have backpacks in the model itself...thats not easy to change with a .cfg tweak and a texture swap, but the rest is.

I know, but i figured that if we are going to mention the particular features we care about i might as well join in, i barely use FLIR anyway, while i use backpacks very often. :p

I think a new sim called ARMA 3 should be made. With everything fixed and improved. Take everything that has been done so far and make sure it works, then improve it. Make it huge. More maps, units and better programing. Even if it cost a hundred bucks that would be fine by me.