Sign in to follow this  
AnimalMother92

Do you want upgraded Arma 2 content?

Interested in upgraded A2 content from BIS?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in upgraded A2 content from BIS?

• YES, and I would pay for it as DLC
    • YES, but only as a free patch
    • NO, focus on new stuff
    • I have a better idea (post below)

I agree with Techno.

If you call it "combined operations", why not make it actual combined operations?! At a bare minimum the units should all have thermal maps and desert camo versions of things.

Voted better idea. Mlods would be nice. :)

Myke;1701751']@Muahaha

it is more than only config works' date=' else it would already have be done completely by the community.

[/quote']

Right, I thought so, thanks for pointing that out.

Like majority it will be great if it's released as free patch to those who owns arrowhead and soon the BAF DLC, as it really should be given some love, as now majority of units from A2 are being cast aside in favor of the more detailed units in OA.

Well, Unless BIS states that due to certain restrictions or financial obligation that this should be a paid DLC, that I will gladly help BIS out.

Releasing MLod will be great also, since BIS don't need really to assign resources to work on those upgrades....which I doubt this sort of IP will be given out for free.

If they're gonna bring A2 units to OA standard, then they should also give the USMC Desert Camo for troops and vehicles cause it'll be weird to use woodland camo in a Desert environment for the Corps

Better will be if this will be just free patch, but I will pay for It if It will not be free.

Well I would have to agree that to some extent making OA standalone did open a certain can of worms but then it also gets new players, so double edged that one.

I did think when it was mentioned thermal etc that wouldn't work with the A2 units ... "Hmmmm that's a bit of a shitter".

Although I can see the work involved in going back over it to do it. I would like to have it so all A2 units work with the goodies of OA, if it happens is another story. Man hours etc I would say would only come if they made enough via DLC & sales (BIS having time to take on it) to put the time in to do it, or as its been asked it comes as a DLC bundle.

Although at this moment I asked for it for free mainly becuase im not sure how realistically it would happen anyway. If they did say "we will do it but its a DLC" then it would have to be a DLC that has another load of things separate with it to really justify it, I mean the screams of rip off with the whole DLC "thing" at the moment, paying for bis to update their own work for us to use it correctly within .. their own work .. I think would spark a forum shitstorm :)

Edited by mrcash2009

I guess, EA FIFA fans wouldn't even dare to ask for a free update with some minor model and texture updates. Think of something like FIFA 2010 - FIFA WM 2010 - FIFA 2011 ;)

While I actually don't like to quote myself from another thread, but anyway,

I am willing to pay for that as I am fairly certain that BIS texture artists, modellers and config gurus don't live from fresh air alone. And who knows when Maruk has let them out the last time to see the sun - ah well, seeing a sunrise in ArmA2 will probably already do for them...

If such "compatibility" upgrades of old content is only accepted as free by everybody, then there is more profitability for BIS in doing completely new stuff instead of messing with the old content... And at the end, profatibility must be key measurement for BIS if they want to stay in the business...

Would rather have new stuff like interior for the driver on most vehicles. Similar to what you already have on the M113 (if not all, I mean the one with the machine gun turret).

Although I did vote "YES, but only as a free patch", I would also accept it in the form of a "new game" similar to that of OA. But not as a paid DLC as I wouldn't be able to use it in mission that is supposed to be 100% addon free. Would I buy such a DLC? Not sure, maybe. But I wouldn't be using it for mission purposes.

I'd like to see this for free, but maybe just for people who bought OA? Though BIS has added more in free patches before, so I think a free patch would not be out of line.

Free patch and make in dependant on OA so ArmA 2 users won't get "free ride" if some people fear that.

I definatly would like to see arma2 content upgraded to OA standards

the pressing question is how. I opted for "free patch"

i understand that doing that upgrade will be alot of work for someone and use up alot of valuable money, and manhours. but it seems a bit off to be paying money for content you already have to have a few variables tweaked (+new shader layer). its one thing to buy something new (BAF, which i am definitely going to buy), but paying for such a fix... dont feel right. BIS says they wont sell engine fixes or whatever either...

it also seems very bad and very unprofessional for the CO to have half the content not up to standard. so in my mind it is absolutely necessary to upgrade the A2 content no matter what, be it pay or free.

i highly value consistency in game content. thats one reason why i often dont DL single weapon or vic addons.... but thats for another day...

yep.. LOL im too lazy to write something like that.. why am I even replying o.o another mystery of the universe.

We paid for A2OA so I would agree that if BIS updated the A2 stuff and released it free, it should be dependant on the user buying A2OA then we won't feel like we bought A2OA and got ripped off.

Though you could argue we still got the campaign and missions in A2OA.

It would be nice to have all older A2 and even original Arma, A2OA capable as this would enable bigger multi-team missions to be made.

Just thought... with BIS mixing the forums, kind of states they want us to treat A2 and A2OA as one game, so yeah update all content to A2OA standards. The money from A2 BAF could be used to fund it.

UPDATED:

Looking into A2 BAF it looks like they are bringing across some Factions with only a few differences.

Edited by HOPEnSPIRIT
update

It would be nice to have all older A2 and even original Arma, A2OA capable as this would enable bigger multi-team missions to be made.

True ... the whole ArmA I upgraded to Arrowhead-standards would be very cool. Sadly I don't think that's gonna happen in the near future, even maybe as DLC. It's too much work and there's plenty of more important stuff to fix / develop first.

But if BIS is going to keep the backward compatibility with new standalone addons I hope they're going officially to recreate the good Cold War Crisis and the Sahrani Conflict.

I feel that things like the flashlights and the IR/cqb fittings are trivial I voted focus on something else.

backpacks and FLIR though need to be brought to A2 in full force though.

I would like to be able to experience OFP again, except all juicy and modernized w/ arma2 stufs

They should make it free for the people that have ArmA2:CO

For CO version users or who both have ARMA2 and OA as a combined version, BIS should release a free DLC or something others to get the ARMA2 weapons the new function.

Since BIS release the OA as a standalone expansion, BIS should make the CO version as a full function version.

I think it is not a irrational demand, after all, we the CO players pay more money than any other single version players.

If it's going to be done, it needs to be in a patch, not DLC. It needs to be a semi-forced download, so that people can't download the dlc, and have an advantage over non-dlc users in a pvp match.

Arma 2: Combined Operations brings together the award-winning Arma 2 and it's stand-alone expansion Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead to combine them into the ultimate military combat experience.
Ultimate war experience:

Fully integrates with the original Arma 2 for unmatched warfare simulation.

From: http://www.arma2.com/game-features/arma-2-co-game-features.html

Frankly it is disappointing, especially because it sounded as if A2 and OA would merge perfectly to become a single massively awesome game. *sigh*

I strongly hope that BIS focuses on this issue after the BAF DLC..

I think it definitely should be done as a free patch, I don't have OA, but hearing that CO doesn't integrate it's features into ArmA II units makes me feel glad that I bought just ArmA II and not CO. If it was a DLC I would have to pay for, I'd most likely get it, but it won't be too high priority.

I currently have OA only, played A2 enuf at friends and didnt like it because of the usual woodland setting, that was past all the ofp/arma games :/ But got OA since its something new and interesting for me and if Bis would release a patch that would update all the units, mechanics of it to OA standarts then I would definately buy it, because now its strange to play as us army and have thermal Abrams and usmc abrams or T90 no thermal, or no Thermal maps for soldiers...

Well, if only BIS would take the mods done by the community and repack it as official patch of course with some testing done first. That would save everyone and BIS time and money on those works. Of course certain things like Mlod would need to be release to the community in order to do that.

Don't know whether this it's even suggested before.