Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

"they could learn something from CM"

Hmmm...let's see:

BIS developed original OFP, a game that is still played these days

BIS developed Armed Assault, followed by the Expansion Pack "Queens Gambit". Also still played these days (judging by forum activity in this section)

BIS developed ArmA 2, followed by Operation Arrowhead expansion pack and 2 DLC's, pretty successful as it has a solid playerbase although released back in 2009.

So what CM delivered?

OFP: DR which disappointed all those who hoped for a decent game that is worth the name OFP. Epic fail.

After that, OFP:RR hit the shelves. Although already DR was reduced compared to the original (BIS) OFP, they managed to drop even more features. Also the sales didn't by far reached the sales of DR which weren't very good, compared to the size (and bigger market due to console versions) of CM.

So IMHO BIS did indeed learned a lot from CM: how not to fail.

Actually I was thinking of Ben_S when I wrote that, got the wrong guy :D

... Thanks. :rolleyes:

And all of you are still watching that forum? Hell, Even I've stopped going there and given up on the franchise.

I found that almost all of my core requests to them featured in the end product for both releases.

Obviously many of the usual things I advocated in all these games forums were not. No bayonets for example. All those rants wasted!

Broadly speaking it ticked all of my core demand boxes. Functionality. LAN play. Decent frame rates. Solid net code. Co-op. Value for money.

I'm surprised that RR hasn't outsold DR. It is by far the superior of the two in my opinion.

This game for me is like GRAW. For all it's faults, for it's it's failure to live up the expectations of the franchise's fanbase, it's a game I go back to and play again. Solid.

I hope it's done well enough to get another iteration in the works, but I'm not convinced that it has.

Mr. Spock would say: "Your logic is flawed Mr. Baff."

I had on very few instances fun with DR but had no fun at all with RR. Ergo logic dictates that RR is worse than DR and therefore sold less than DR. You can't deny logic.

Also low expectations are the very core of console gaming as developers are creating games with less and less content to increase profits as is seen with CODMW2 (apparently 25 million people have low expectations.) and most of the times sell that removed content as DLC. Thank god we have BIS.

Ah yes. The infamous "let's give them some maps that they already have but put them at a different time of the day" DLC's. Priceless.:rolleyes:

Seriously?

I'm trying to figure out if that's better or worse than the patch that tries to kill your computer.

Guess Baff and DMarkwick are just oldtimers (or grumpy old men if you like ;)) who don't expect anything "great" anymore - just a bit fun now and then.

Just wonder when they will say "Remember, the good'ol times where so much better!!" :blues:

Guess Baff and DMarkwick are just oldtimers (or grumpy old men if you like ;)) who don't expect anything "great" anymore - just a bit fun now and then.

Just wonder when they will say "Remember, the good'ol times where so much better!!" :blues:

I expect great things, but I don't expect everything to be great :) and I dislike expending energy getting angry over poor games.

I expect great things, but I don't expect everything to be great :) and I dislike expending energy getting angry over poor games.

Who here is getting angry over RR? Most of what I see is simple ridicule, which is even reflected in the thread title. :)

Semantics aside, expending energy by getting angry seems preferable to lowering your expectations to such an extent that you would expend money on a piece if crapware, which will only contribute to the future production of even more crapware. ;)

and I dislike expending energy getting angry over poor games.

Well i'm not angry at CM's RR/DR just a bit annoyed at the people who defend those games with things like "ohh it's a AWESOME game because it doesn't have many bugs"... yeah that defines a great game :p

P.S. i guess they bought the games and must defend them to avoid apprearing ass ripped, well i learned my lesson from DR :D

Oh no, I won't spend money on something I have low expectations for :D I'll probably buy BF3, and I'll probably buy Skyrim, because I think they will just be good entertainment.

BTW, I have seen a lot of anger in this thread, mostly misdirected at a name rather than a game.

Oh no, I won't spend money on something I have low expectations for :D I'll probably buy BF3

Well i bought BF2 which was a great game, now i'll get BF3 hoping it's atleast just as good. I bought DR which sucked giant ass, surely i didn't buy RR.... call it logic :yay:

BTW, I have seen a lot of anger in this thread, mostly misdirected at a name rather than a game.

You said "getting angry over poor games", which is what I was responding to. People getting all butturt about CM owning the OFP name is a whole other story. :p

I'll probably be buying BF3 too, mainly to pass the time until Arma3 hits the shelves. :D

I'll probably be buying BF3 too, mainly to pass the time until Arma3 hits the shelves. :D

Well it's two different gamestyles and i couldn't imagine myself playing ArmA2 only, sometimes i just need some fast paced cqb shooter action and ArmA doesn't really work there... yet :)

See you on the BF3 then :)

Indeed :cool:

That's because the only thing that DR had going for it was the name, for RR ... well neither. You can't really call either of them games, the word "games" to me hints at something challenging, exciting, fun and/or thought-provoking. DR and RR ticked not one of those boxes.

Opinions and more opinions. You can't argue against the fact that some people (some that never played OFP) may like OFP2 and 3. It's an opinion. You may say that in your opinion the series is degrading, getting worse or whatever, but some people may still think it's fun.

Most people I know think ARMA is overcomplicated and boring. It's their opinion.

Each one may find the so expected fun in differents aspects of games, be it corridor-style shooter or sandbox-style.

CM just changed the focus of OFP, and now some people like it while others do not, but most people here are so biased by their experiences with ArmA and ARMA2 that they can't look at current OFP titles without bringing the differences in both series that determine what's fun and what's not in a partial way.

Operative;2005498']Opinions and more opinions. You can't argue against the fact that some people (some that never played OFP) may like OFP2 and 3. It's an opinion. You may say that in your opinion the series is degrading' date=' getting worse or whatever, but some people may still think it's fun.

Most people I know think ARMA is overcomplicated and boring. It's their opinion.

Each one may find the so expected fun in differents aspects of games, be it corridor-style shooter or sandbox-style.

CM just changed the focus of OFP, and now some people like it while others do not, but most people here are so biased by their experiences with ArmA and ARMA2 that they can't look at current OFP titles without bringing the differences in both series that determine what's fun and what's not in a partial way.[/quote']

Nope. People here just played the so-called ofp new games and, as a lot of other cm customers, found those games boring and cheap. The OFP series isn't degraded by cm because cm do not own the OFP franchise but the name only. They dared to pretend that it was a franchise when they released what you call "OFP2", then it was so ridiculously untrue that they give up connecting what you called "OFP3" with the original game (see Sion Lenton quote in my sig). I can call "caviar" a box full of shit, it'll still be shit.

Nope. People here just played the so-called ofp new games and, as a lot of other cm customers, found those games boring and cheap.

The fact it share it's name with a previous game doesn't desqualify OFP2/3 as individual games. Everybody that played OFP and ARMA tries it in a biased way. You can't deny it. It's a game on it's own. Also, everyone has personal opinions. Can you say that if some one that never played a tactical shooter/milsim/whatever and then play the CM OFPs, he will not like it? It may be fun, but it's a different game at a different time. You can, aswell, argue and say that CM should have kept OFP's roots, but this doesn't make, at all, a game become bad.

The OFP series isn't degraded by cm because cm do not own the OFP franchise but the name only.

What is, for real, a franchise after all?

Yep some may like it -hell some people think Britney Spears is an outstanding singer...

...but going to a forum filled with musicians and declaring Spears love and musical prowess - the result is predictable no ;)

Looking at the mess that is RR, which is utter boring shite, CM should have continued along the lines of DR, DR had a tiny glimmer of hope that it could be something inbetween the corridor shooters and Arma servies.

They had a small window of opportunity, but after the expense of the DR production realised they could not continue to support a format that wouldn't attract high player number.

RR was an attempt to take some COD/BF players but it failed to be either a corridor shooter that was fun or a tactical shooter that worked.

Yes some people liked DR and even less liked RR, I'm sure the poor sales of RR will see the end of CM attempt to be the next big thing in FPS.

Though we know CM still has unreleased assets from DR so don't surprised to see the US vs PLA in some other theatra, maybe an island in greece would be a good setting :)

DR could've stood up on its own as a fairly average game if it didn't have the Operation Flashpoint name.

It attracted so much hatred from BIS fans because it was such an obvious attempt to try and ride on the success of OFP:CWC by claiming to be a sequel.