Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

This isn't just a topic about Operation Flashpoint, it does have a point.

I wrote a (what might seem long!) review over the past few nights for my experiences with Red River.

I just wanted to say, despite my bitching and complaining over the years, I have developed a massive appreciation for every ARMA game after experiencing clone after clone, with games that continuously only seem to get dumber... which is basically the feeling I have for the last two Flashpoint games.

What's great in the instance of ARMA/Flashpoint, is that for once we get to see two franchises side by side, one catering to what the game started out as with the other trying to appeal to new audiences, the latter failing to evolve in any way shape or form.

A buggy game can change and be fixed. A game terrible to it's core cannot. I know which I'd rather.

Thanks, and keep up the good work :icon14:

Very nicely-written review! Will have to bookmark your website to see future ones. :)

However, nettrucker is right; there is already a dedicated and rather extensive Red River thread in our offtopic section. Please use that for everything and anything regarding it. Thanks!

Thread locked.

This video intro:

Is directly lifted out of here:

in terms of presentation and style. Some of the dialogue is virtually identical in places.

Plus, the coolest thing about Apone in Aliens was that he was badass but didn't need to say "motherfucker" every other word. And that was an 18 (R-rated) movie. In this, he suffers from Tourettes for no apparent reason.

Edited by Das Attorney

Plus, the coolest thing about Apone in Aliens was that he was badass but didn't need to say "motherfucker" every other word.

Have to step in in defence of Al Matthews: he voices Col. Hardaway, and just does the v/o for the inter-mission cut-scenes. These are pretty restrained, profanity-wise. SSgt. Knox is the potty-mouth.

SSgt. Knox is the potty-mouth.

Who is voiced by Reno Wilson I believe..

@CameronMcDonald:

:p

I get annoyed just looking at the blatantly fanboyish responses you were getting in your thread over there, Phill. Sure, we have our fair share of fanboys, I would consider myself one too at times, but I like to think we never stoop to that level. I can only imagine your blood pressure when reading them!

They're writing off some of the most credible review publications and websites around simply because they gave Red River a bad score. I felt Tiscali gave Arma 2 an unfairly low score, but it doesn't mean I discredit them entirely. I'd like to think most people here act the same. Heck, I think most reviews for BIS' games aren't delving into the true magic of them before they write their reviews, although I do not expect nor demand them to carry out that task as it can take quite a lot of time and effort.

While I may be a little bias towards ARMA, since liking games with depth and substance is a problem I have, I can't help but feel they use people such as myself to project their anger across to. For example, the points that were being made unrelated to my review and the tangents some members went off on as if I were debating any of it seemed a bit strange.

There's just too many things you cannot do without automatically being labelled as an elitist. I compare a bad game to a good game, whereas they interpret it as me comparing a PC game to a console game, always elevating the PC version simply because it's on the PC.

On forums such as that one the hardest part is not being able to tell if you're talking to an 11 year old or an adult, and if they even know what they're arguing about. "I haven't played Cold War Crisis ---- but here's my uninformed opinion regardless".

Anyway. I don't consider myself to be a professional writer, just somebody who writes about what he experiences based on two decades of gaming.

I just took a look - That's bad.

It was a well written, pretty much unbiased review. It was very well detailed and covered most points that you can write down. (if not all).

I've been going to the CM forums less and less. Since there's less stuff to do with scripting, less intresting members/discussions and more blatant fanboyism there (Seriously, anyone who thinks i'm a fanboy really needs to read some of their posts). It's just not fun anymore.

Well, my Birtday is next week and will be [hopefully] getting a new PC then. And then, I'll be able to enjoy larger scale ArmA. :)

This one's my favorite:

"The review itself seems "rushed", i can recall a few arguments where you did not take into account all factors. You pain a misleading picture of RR in my opinion."

06vB-34S5-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06vB-34S5-c

Look at the first 40 seconds of that video. Guy decides he's going to try and rush it to the other side of the bridge with his team covering him, and he isn't being shot at. No, instead, the game kills him for "going off mission"!

How can anyone call this a good game with crap like that? Even DR didn't do that! The good scores must have come from people entirely used to playing corridor FPS and in the mindset that these missions were designed for. Not the OFP mindset, or even the DR mindset!

He also turns into something resembling an overturned statue from Madam Tussaud's Wax Museum once he hits the ground. But so long as there is a Havok logo on the back of the box, the kids are happy.

"He's gone! Sorry, buddy."

"Oooo-ohhhh yeah!"

Necrophiliacs in the Corps these days?

Maybe it's me, but what I don't understand is why after 432 pages this thread isn't closed.

We've established that both games are utter shit, we've established that Codemasters have gone the way of EA, IW, etc. and we've established that Sion Lenton is a cunt.

Why keep this endless discussion going?

I think it's a nice & needed contrast to all the forums, threads & posts saying RR is anything better than crap. ;)

Maybe it's me, but what I don't understand is why after 432 pages this thread isn't closed.

We've established that both games are utter shit, we've established that Codemasters have gone the way of EA, IW, etc. and we've established that Sion Lenton is a cunt.

Why keep this endless discussion going?

Because people like bashing bad things in a first place. Second it's because of the OFP brand being trashed by CM . . . I believe.

kind regards

I would like to go on record stating that if the next soulless hunk of post-processing that rolls off CM's assembly line is called Red River 2 and not Operation Flashpoint 4, I will recommend the game to every CoD and Battlefield player I know.

But only if they also fire all their writers without severance pay.

Because people like bashing bad things in a first place. Second it's because of the OFP brand being trashed by CM . . . I believe.

kind regards

Still not a good enough to not close it. Other threads that turned into mindless bashing have been closed. Why not this one?

Still not a good enough to not close it. Other threads that turned into mindless bashing have been closed. Why not this one?

It needs to be kept alive to warn people against throwing money at the failure of a game.

It needs to be kept alive to warn people against throwing money at the failure of a game.

They will throw their money on dumbed down games in any case even if they are going to be warned. Consoles are the bigger market in video gaming. But the real hate issue is in IMO that Codemaster trashed the brand Operation Flashpoint. Yeah I know people should get over with it. What disturbs me most, is CM business ethics which have been shown when DR was released.:mad:

kind regards

The bad reviews are warning enough. This thread needs to be closed because it's devolved into mindless bashing with no clear direction. Mods have closed other threads for the same reasons, they need to do the same here too..