Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

Intresting, Germany biggest PC Mag Gamestar had a preview on their website that they had to take down as they only had the ok to preview the MP and not the campaign.

Also it has nothign to do with Gamestar talking about AI problems, mission design or soudn flaws in that preview ;)

On the other hand Gamestar was always very pro Codemasters and contra BIS giving good ratings to dragon rising and rather bad ones to even patched Combined Ops so if even they see red rivers flaws then it leads me to the conclusion that Codemasters just doesnt know how its done and never will.

Posted on this ''ai video'' by redriverchannel in the destricption.

''*READ THIS SHORT MESSAGE!*

Codemasters have removed gamestars article! Click here to read about it!

http://operationflashpointredriver.blogspot.com/2011/03/operation-flashpoint-red-river-preview.html

This video shows the amazing artificial Intelligence (AI) that is being used in Operation Flashpoint: Red River, the second sequel to the extremely popular and realistic war simulation game Operation Flashpoint: Cold war crisis.''

This might mean, that arma 2 is still much better

OR gamestar is slightly under pay.:D

So you're judging the AI on its accuracy, and not how well it performs tacticlly?

So, you all talk about ArmA II's AI being good at tactics and not to judge it on its smaller scale fighting - mods can fix that.

But when it comes to other games, you go against your own thought patterns. And bash AI due to their accuracy, and not tactical abilities?

Can someone for instance; explain what was so bad about Dragon Rising's AI?

Can someone for instance; explain what was so bad about Dragon Rising's AI?

The tendency to want to rush into close quarters when it's not wise, alot of the time the PLA just murder the USMC due to the automatic weapons in that situation. I've noticed them not noticing the ground is between their targets and themselves, so you'll see a SAW gunner just unloading into the turf with minimal effect. Friendly snipers are pretty useless in that regard, especially.

The AI does use cover well, if available in the form of large objects. On a road, they like to just prone on the road rather than try to scoot into the woods.

Using heavy weapons is funny, trying to get them to shoot down a chopper is hit and miss, sometimes they'll take it down swiftly, others they'll let the chopper fly right overhead or bizarrely unpack the weapon, aim, then sling it.

Gunners on the Seahawk spraying bullets at a target they can't aim at, or even worse is on the opposite side of the aircraft to them.

That's just what I've noticed fooling around with scenarios in the game.

So, you all talk about ArmA II's AI being good at tactics and not to judge it on its smaller scale fighting - mods can fix that.

Too bad Red River doesn't have modding support then, eh? ;)

Just saw a gameplay video. Didn't know the USMC had fielded horizontal motion jetpacks. All of the soldiers that were running seemed to be strapped to the front of a scooter that was being pushed to the limit.

The recoil doesn't kick up the muzzle until after the last bullet is fired ...

The weapons look like they are the wrong scale (smaller) than the player. Is this CM way of making all Marines look like Herculean heroes? Rambo V?

I didn't think it was possible, but this is actually worse than FPDR

The Dispersion shield is some genius psychology work. Think about it.

Player thinks they're uber good by "almost" getting hit by a bunch of bullets that in reality without that stupid shield would end his life.

Im actually guilty of this, when I played DR I thought I was super good and being very tacticool even though I was just leap frogging through varies concealment objects.

If that shield wasnt their I doubt the average player couldnt even touch this game. The average play time would be in the mere minutes...

Remember what real war games have taught us if we cant run around with a knife killing guys in the normal difficulty modes then it aint "accessible" enough.

Modern Fragfare 2

Lenton is a f**king genius. /sarcasm off

Take the game from a market where there is only one superior competitor to a market where there are umpteen superior competitors.

Genius I tell you.

155HR6aAUNE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=155HR6aAUNE

You'd think Codemasters would want to invest a little more time into not coming off as totally pandering to the western gamer stereotype... In fact, all of these trailers can be summed up with just that one word: pandering.

"Green bullets... SO REAL!!" ;-)

[yeah, I do also think trailers are as lousy - or even lousier - then the game]

Edited by JonPL

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/21/interview-op-flash-red-river-creative-director-on-realism-co-op-and-the-state-of-pc-gaming/

(Sorry if this is old - I only checked 2 pages back)

More gasoline for this thread!! :D

Check what he says about "fun":

"We’re making an entertainment product, and it should be fun, and I really don’t get much fun out of military simulations. They’re engaging, they’re immersive, but I wouldn’t call them fun."

:eek: :eek: HOLY CRAP!! All what I experienced in the last 10 years playing OPF and Arma was NOT fun!!! I am deeply shocked and am going to consult my psychologist tomorrow... :(

Edited by Undeceived

You're right, Mr. Lenton. We're all idiots and we pointlessly torture ourselves with ARMA, we should be playing OFP:DR and enjoying 4-player multiplayer!

[/douche]

I actually hate him a little less after this one.

PC Gamer: There’s quite a hefty difference between the original Operation Flashpoint and Red River. Was that an active decision to move away from the simulation roots?

Sion Lenton: Absolutely. There are a couple of reasons for that. One thing of course is that the heritage of the franchise is PC. And, as great as PCs are, from a sales point of view, it’s not the market, there’s a bigger market out there, and if you get success, you can start to experiment more. You need to get the sales under your belt, and then that gives you the freedom to do other things, so again, that ties into the idea of the reboot of it.

Really, we want to steer away from any talk of it being a simulation. We’ve almost banned the word in the studio. Authentic is fine, because it gives you a bit of creative leeway in the studio, and that’s what we are, we’re creative. We’re making an entertainment product, and it should be fun, and I really don’t get much fun out of military simulations. They’re engaging, they’re immersive, but I wouldn’t call them fun.

I know we get a lot of people going ‘Oh, this is what I want, this is the kind of game I want to play’, but, to be honest, it’s out there. There’s ArmA, play it. There you go. And they do a great job on that, and best of luck to them. We want to do something different, and we don’t want the name, the brand, the franchise, to be tied down to that kind of thing. From where I am, at the minute, there’s no reason that we can’t do an RTS Operation Flashpoint game.

Edited by JonPL

You'd think Codemasters would want to invest a little more time into not coming off as totally pandering to the western gamer stereotype... In fact, all of these trailers can be summed up with just that one word: pandering.

The voice in that trailer annoys the hell out of me!

Those trailers are like propaganda or something.. lol

Don't know what to say about it, just hope it will end just like OFP: DR.

Or maybe even take those COD:blackops players who are on the BI forums nowadays to the OFP:RR.

Harhar:rolleyes:

The Voice is not much a problem.

But the tracers look like "The Empire Strikes Back"...

Tracers still make me want to vomit.

I also wonder if they will ever pronounce Tajikistan correctly. But I shouldn't mention that, because the "wise" USMC knows best. That uniform was just sniffed so hard my nose is sore.

I tried that but then my psychologist said he plays Arma as well, so instead we talked about that for several hours and I didn't even have to pay for his time.

I think Sion needs to learn that there are many variations of 'fun'. For example we have fun by explosions, fun by crazy overpowered weaponry, mindless fun, fun by games that defy laws of reality, and fun by accomplishment, fun with creativity and fun by reward and games that draw you in. All of which can be shared with friends.

There are many games that fit the above description, some seen as nerdy such as world of warcraft, some may be seen as childish such as minecraft. Others could be seen as boring and too demanding such as DCS A-10 and Arma. Some as too simple and arcrade such as Call of duty.

Different strokes for different folks, what appeals to one person may not appeal to another, the important most important thing to do is decide which genre you are going for and make the game for them, don't pussyfoot around trying to please multiple genre's because it always leaves a mediocre experience for all. Sion doesn't seem sure which way to lead RR, or he does but wants to try and bring it off as something else which just doesn't work.

Fun is relative.

There's no better way to desribe it.

I know we get a lot of people going ‘Oh, this is what I want, this is the kind of game I want to play’, but, to be honest, it’s out there. There’s ArmA, play it. There you go. And they do a great job on that, and best of luck to them. We want to do something different,

This doesn't change the fact that CM is shitting and pissing all over the OFP name by releasing a CoD clone as part of the "franchise". In fact now they're admitting that they've completely abandoned the original "blueprint" for OFP and are dumbing down their game for the console noobs.

That would be like BIS making a racing game called CarmA and saying "We're evolving the franchise, making it more fun. That's what games are all about, fun. And cars are fun"

That's blown way out of proportions. It's like BIS taking ArmA, naming it something else, creating a tactical first person shooter out of it. And still develop ArmA at the same time.

Watching RR videos, it looks nothing like CoD. It's definantly not OFP, it's definantly not CoD, it's definantly not ArmA. It's its own genre... now.

That's blown way out of proportions. It's like BIS taking ArmA, naming it something else, creating a tactical first person shooter out of it. And still develop ArmA at the same time.

Watching RR videos, it looks nothing like CoD. It's definantly not OFP, it's definantly not CoD, it's definantly not ArmA. It's its own genre... now.

Well, fine. It's not a corridor shooter, so more like BF:BC2.

However, RR doesn't have customizable guns, multiplayer, flyable aircraft... so it's worse than BFBC2. Congratulations. Go pick up a copy of BC2, it'll be more entertaining than this.

I'd be more supportive if they actually brought something to the genre. Even the large map thing doesn't work because you are declared AWOL if you leave the mission area. They have absolutely NOTHING over what the big guys (DICE, EA, IW, Treyarch, Activision) are offering. In fact, they have LESS because of the lack of multiplayer.

I cannot understand who would want to play this.

I'd say more like Battlefield 2, squad play was really the core and the commos rose looks designed to be the same, a few extended options perhaps but thats it.

Edited by NodUnit

I'd say more like Battlefield 2, squad play was really the core.

Yeah, except you could fly helicopters in that game.