Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

@Zipper:

No offense mate, but i though this thread was about RR, not the way CM does business, comparison between DR and A2 or the way CM is moderating their forums...(DR thread lived its life)

Personally I think the issues go hand-in-hand. Discussing a game cannot come without discussion of its developer, but you are right. No use in repeating the same stuff anymore because the general public, who will buy RR, won't hear it. It really is a shame...

If playing the campaign once and 4 player coop were your only desires, why would you ever consider purchasing Arma 2?

Because everyone plays games for exact same reason you do. :rolleyes:

@everyone.

Ofp is not what it used to be, its changed. etc etc. Whats the point of keeping this discussion up if everyone who is going to hear it, has.

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

It's just a brand name like Police Academy or Rainbow Six.

You broadly know what style of entertainment to expect if you pick up one of those titles. It draws the eye of people who like that sort of thing.

The original OpF was a mainstream game also. Very mainstream. GOTY etc.

It was just a shooter back in those days of course... not a "military simulator".

OFP isn't a "miltiary simulator" today, its now basicly. The same genre it was back then "tactical shooter". it's just that, the meaning of "tactical shooter" has changed over the last 9 years.

Out of intrest, how many of you still play the original OFP?

@everyone.

Ofp is not what it used to be, its changed. etc etc.

Most of us here believe that Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising irreparably ruined the OFP name so naturally we are going to haul Codemasters over hot coals for this profane act.

From what we have seen so far it appears that Operation Flashpoint Red River will also be another vile sacrelidge.

Do you expect us all to enthusiastically welcome the news that Red River is going to have even less content than Dragon Rising? Wake up Ben. If you enjoy bending over and getting shafted by Sion and his team then good for you, but don't expect the rest of us to share your naive attitude.

Because

at least i still have it on my rig whole the goty version, and it never goes off of it :D the same goes for arma II, i still need to buy armed assault :o

Edited by KBourne

Most of us here believe that Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising irreparably ruined the OFP name so naturally we are going to haul Codemasters over hot coals for this profane act.

From what we have seen so far it appears that Operation Flashpoint Red River will also be another vile sacrelidge.

Do you expect us all to enthusiastically welcome the news that Red River is going to have even less content than Dragon Rising? Wake up Ben. If you enjoy bending over and getting shafted by Sion and his team then good for you, but don't expect the rest of us to share your naive attitude.

It's just a game. OFP is long gone, now the ArmA franchise is the standard. It's as simple as that :) If it helps, don't look at it as Codemasters ruining OFP, but rather BIS making a good job of the first one :)

These OFP2/3 threads seem to be mostly about how the name of OFP is tarnished rather than the games themselves. Given that it's done, is there really any point endlessly moaning about it? :)

These OFP2/3 threads seem to be mostly about how the name of OFP is tarnished rather than the games themselves.

OK lets talk about the games. Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising was abysmal, Operation Flashpoint Red River will most likely also include the infamous tether, no lean, no combat roll, no freelook, no driveable military vehicles, all guns will fire laser beam tracers, no mission editor...

Codemasters knew if they tarnished the OFP name that there would be unpleasant results but they don't give a rats ass about the OFP community. Vulgar money grabbers. It's no wonder that the only people that post on Codemasters Red River forum are a handful of 14 year olds.

OK lets talk about the games. Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising was abysmal, Operation Flashpoint Red River will most likely also include the infamous tether, no lean, no combat roll, no freelook, no driveable military vehicles, all guns will fire laser beam tracers, no mission editor...

Like most other shooters you mean? :)

Codemasters knew if they tarnished the OFP name that there would be unpleasant results but they don't give a rats ass about the OFP community. Vulgar money grabbers. It's no wonder that the only people that post on Codemasters Red River forum are a handful of 14 year olds.

... and back to moaning about the OFP name :D

But, what "unpleasant results" could you possibly mean? The pouty dronings of an old-school OFP crowd? I hardly think it made a scratch :) 'tis only a game, and CM are only a game manufacturer :)

But, what "unpleasant results" could you possibly mean?

It shouldn't come as a surprise to you that Codemasters greedy cash grab would ignite a community backlash. What sort of response were you expecting...

Surely you weren't expecting to engage in constructive conversation about a game that turned out to be nothing more than an epic failure.

Is there something in particular about Red River that you would like to discuss?

That's what I'm saying, the community backlash simply made no impact whatsoever. The epic failure you mean is the game as compared to OFP, as judged by people who wanted OFP again. As a standalone generic shooter I think it performed averagely. If it hadn't made a profit then there wouldn't be a sequel right? :)

In the final analysis, OFP was only ever a name.

That's what I'm saying, the community backlash simply made no impact whatsoever.

Judging by the thousands of negative comments posted on gaming forums, youtube, facebook, etc. I'm tipping that a very significant amount of people whom purchased Dragon Rising won't be getting their fingers burnt twice

The epic failure you mean is the game as compared to OFP, as judged by people who wanted OFP again.

Yeah, like the people you might find on this forum...

As a standalone generic shooter I think it performed averagely.

Shame Codemasters didn't advertise it as a standalone generic shooter.

If it hadn't made a profit then there wouldn't be a sequel right? :)

I have no doubt it made a profit, but that doesn't change the fact that, in my opinion, the game was an epic failure. I'm not a game manufacturer, I'm just a humble gamer, I judge a game for it's gameplay, not it's profit margin.

Thank God Bohemia split with Codemasters.

You all think that 14 year olds don't play arma2? I know more people around the 14-17 age marks playing things like ArmA II, JCOVE and such than I do ones that play DR and Rainbow and all that genre.

You all think that 14 year olds don't play arma2? I know more people around the 14-17 age marks playing things like ArmA II, JCOVE and such than I do ones that play DR and Rainbow and all that genre.

It only takes a quick look over at the CM forum to establish that the people posting over there are a little bit short upstairs, if you know what I mean. ;)

I still play it at least once a week and, in some ways, I prefer it over Arma 2...

Yeah, I share the same impression. Actualy, I already wrote it here:

Small offtopic, cause I'm a bit tired of the elitism of this community and animosity and disregard for different genres and people enjoying them...

Guys, admit it, ArmA and OFP:CWC are just games...more realistic than Dragon Rising, but still games. you are not "warriors" when you play ArmA, you are just gamers playing with virtual toys.

The fact you like certain genre of game doesn't make you better, more mature or more inteligent than someone who likes different genre (even if it's CoD). Actually, I think many people sticking with very complex games like ArmA are kids and teenagers, cause lot of older people just don't have a time for these time consuming games.

I see it on myself. When I was in the high school, we all spent lot of hours in the first OFP. Now me and my friends just don't have a time and patience, many of us have families and while I still enjoy more complex games, I'm almost alone. Simply, the older we are, the more arcade and less time consuming games we play, opposite progress is very rare (at least when considering normal people, not nolife nerds living with mom).

I started playing OFP when I was 8. I'm not surprised there are a lot of people playing the game who are 14, or younger. That is, of course, a double-edged sword at times.

I still play it at least once a week and, in some ways, I prefer it over Arma 2...

for me its more the style of missions and the campains, i prefer that kind of story builded mission play like CWC gave us.

i have to say that i play it with the last furr 2008 eddition mod

regards

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

It was just a shooter back in those days of course... not a "military simulator".

It was a mil sim from the start on! OFP was released in 2001 and aimed for a highly realistic military gameplay, they expanded this after a great sucsess, on request they released vbs1 in 2002, 2004, it had military potential from the start here is my source!

Wikipadia.org

like usual ROFL :D

Edited by KBourne

Originally Posted by Mr.Wolf

Small offtopic, cause I'm a bit tired of the elitism of this community and animosity and disregard for different genres and people enjoying them...

Guys, admit it, ArmA and OFP:CWC are just games...more realistic than Dragon Rising, but still games. you are not "warriors" when you play ArmA, you are just gamers playing with virtual toys.

The fact you like certain genre of game doesn't make you better, more mature or more inteligent than someone who likes different genre (even if it's CoD). Actually, I think many people sticking with very complex games like ArmA are kids and teenagers, cause lot of older people just don't have a time for these time consuming games.

I see it on myself. When I was in the high school, we all spent lot of hours in the first OFP. Now me and my friends just don't have a time and patience, many of us have families and while I still enjoy more complex games, I'm almost alone. Simply, the older we are, the more arcade and less time consuming games we play, opposite progress is very rare (at least when considering normal people, not nolife nerds living with mom).

I disagree Mr. Wolf. I'm 38 and many of my friends are in their late 30's. We all have families and lives but we still like to play Arma2 regularly. We don't play COD, DR or any other generic console crap. We are PC gamers in hart and soul and we like to play true PC games that are complex and actually aquire skill to play. Just because we have busy lives does not mean we revert to playing imature games that are made for an outdated infirior piece of crap.:mad:

I disagree Mr. Wolf. I'm 38 and many of my friends are in their late 30's. We all have families and lives but we still like to play Arma2 regularly. We don't play COD, DR or any other generic console crap. We are PC gamers in hart and soul and we like to play true PC games that are complex and actually aquire skill to play. Just because we have busy lives does not mean we revert to playing imature games that are made for an outdated infirior piece of crap.:mad:

You are me.:)

[/color]

It was a mil sim from the start on! OFP was released in 2001 and aimed for a highly realistic military gameplay, they expanded this after a great sucsess, on request they released vbs1 in 2002, 2004, it had military potential from the start here is my source!

Wikipadia.org

like usual ROFL :D

No mate it was just a shooter. An army game and a good one.

All that military sim guff came after VBS.

As usual, linking me to things like Wikipedia and Youtube isn't going to impress. If the extent of your knowledge doesn't go well beyond that, what you have to say is unlikely to be of any particular intrest online.

Edited by Baff1

Absolutely. I'm 40, have family, kid and a time consuming job, and only consider playing complex and versatile games like these. It's not a matter of age or "being a no life kid vs being a busy man", but of tastes.

OFP isn't a "miltiary simulator" today, its now basicly. The same genre it was back then "tactical shooter". it's just that, the meaning of "tactical shooter" has changed over the last 9 years.

No mate ArmA 2 is billed as a military simulator these days.

In the launch titles they refer themselves to being the guys who make sims for the military or something. It has become one of the unique selling points of the game.

Squad based tactical shooter still has the same meaning as it did 12 years ago. There are still shit ones and good ones. Just as there was back then.

We all remember the good ones, but lets not forget that they were always greatly outnumbered by the not so good ones.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

I think the average age of ArmA gamers is probably going to be 5-10 years older than OpF gamers.

The average of posters in the two forums is. They have those how old are you polls.

So it's no big secret.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Absolutely. I'm 40, have family, kid and a time consuming job, and only consider playing complex and versatile games like these. It's not a matter of age or "being a no life kid vs being a busy man", but of tastes.

I'm 40 too.

I find those occasions where I have the free time are quite common, but those occaisons where enough of my friends do at the same time to be very few and far between, perhaps 1-3 times a year. Perhaps less.

And that is why for me, OpF DR wins over ArmA for multiplayer. Because ArmA costs a bloody fortune to set up for those very few times it is going to get used, and OpF costs a fraction of that.

Next planned one for us is Neverwinter Nights I think.

Thats a serious MP co-op game with all the mods you can shake stick at etc.

Edited by Baff1

Q&A is game testing mate. Quality Assurance.

Finding and removing bugs from their games before releasing.

This is something CM does well.

Finding and removing key features that represent the genre they were claiming to market to is more like it. Imho, this failed to meet the minimum standard that was expected and thereby most assuredly failed at providing a quality product.

You say BI could "learn much -Very much" from them as CM are the master bug hunters ....

Thats like me drawing a perfect circle and stating that Monet and Renoir have much to learn ....as mine is perfect.

I think the average age of ArmA gamers is probably going to be 5-10 years older than OpF gamers.

The average of posters in the two forums is. They have those how old are you polls.

So it's no big secret.

Yeah it's only natural that Arma2 attracts a more mature-minded audience and Codemasters OFP sequels attract brain dead teens.

The original OFP received so many awards from different gaming sites because Bohemia strove for excellence and were determined to succeed. Codemasters have no excuses, they developed an inferior product simply because they don't give a rats about the original OFP community.

Finding and removing key features that represent the genre they were claiming to market to is more like it. Imho, this failed to meet the minimum standard that was expected and thereby most assuredly failed at providing a quality product.

You say BI could "learn much -Very much" from them as CM are the master bug hunters ....

Thats like me drawing a perfect circle and stating that Monet and Renoir have much to learn ....as mine is perfect.

Key features like a functional campaign?

Features don't come any more key than that.

The splash screen I suppose.

No mate, BIS take the piss on quality control. The absolute piss.

It's why they get panned so badly in all their reviews.

They are their own worst enemies.

If the Javelin doesn't work, don't put it in the game. Sure you have one less feature, but it doesn't "define the genre". And you can always add it in a patch later.

It's pretty rare that I buy a BIS product on release day. I prefer to wait a few patches until they get it working.

The longer I can wait the lower the price gets too.

Quality assurance is their Achilles Heel. They suck at it.

(I bought the OA Expansion and BAF downloads on release day and was a bit worried by my rashness, but they were both of excellent standard, not to mention a very comfortable price. Credit where credit is due).

I played OpF DR through and didn't notice any features that prevented it from being a squad based tactical shooter.

The only feature I notably didn't see that was in the original was flyable planes. But they really sucked in the original so no problems there on my part.

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

The original OFP received so many awards from different gaming sites because Bohemia strove for excellence and were determined to succeed. Codemasters have no excuses, they developed an inferior product simply because they don't give a rats about the original OFP community.

They also succeeded because CM believed in them and had the vision to invest in that genre of game.

I am very glad to CM for having the vision to repeat that.

Credit where credit is due.

Edited by Baff1

Key features like a functional campaign?

Features don't come any more key than that.

Umm, yes they do. Gameplay and sound combat mechanics + ballistics trump the goofy stories that all games try to sell. You really don't need a rehash of the multitude of basic mil-sim/tac shooter features that were sorely lacking do you?

No mate, BIS take the piss on quality control. The absolute piss.

It's why they get panned so badly in all their reviews.

I don't believe DR fared any better and probably did worse.

Quality assurance is their Achilles Heel. They suck at it.

If you insist on using this in the strictist semantical sense of bug hunting -then fine. I would offer that trying to produce a quality tac-sim is CM's -and yes, they very much suck at it.