Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

You can drive in RR, but it's limited to jeeps, trucks, maybe some buggy...

No. At the CM Red River forums there is a sticky that depict the CONFIRMED features that are or are not in the game. In the in list it states freelook but in the out list it states no driving or piloting of vehicles. The entire campain is played as a marine fireteam and the only times that you are in a vehicle is when you are being transported to the AO.:(

You CAN drive jeeps and hummvees and perhaps trucks.

...In the in list it states freelook but in the out list it states no driving or piloting of vehicles. The entire campain is played as a marine fireteam and the only times that you are in a vehicle is when you are being transported to the AO.:(

You are wrong. The only thing listed is "Helicopter Piloting, Tank and APC Driving". Driving of normal vehicles was confirmed.

It's not that bad but I found many people disliking the game much.

Don't consider any game too seriously if it gives you fun then it's a good game :)

Here is the point: its not fun at all

Thats just your opinion, I for one, Find it very fun. As I when I play, I don't expect it to be realistic.

Thats just your opinion, I for one, Find it very fun. As I when I play, I don't expect it to be realistic.

People also find Call of Duty: Black Ops, on the PC, fun. ;)

As much as those who find certain games to be fun would want it, a game being fun does not mean it's a good game overall. DR was a very sub-par product with half-assed features similar to other FPS games but done in a worse fashion. Sort of like settling for less when you have just as easy access to more. At least, that's how I viewed it.

You are wrong. The only thing listed is "Helicopter Piloting, Tank and APC Driving". Driving of normal vehicles was confirmed.

Which is a pity because driving the tank in the first title was awesome!

I didn't spend anytime with the helicopters since they were all gunships, and the APC's were more or less the same as BIS APC's perhaps a bit smoother, the jeeps suffered from no freelook, but the tanks....

They really rocked.

Essentially, predictably, vehicles in OpF DR, a game based on a racing car engine were the high point of the game and way ahead of competing titles like ArmA, Quake Wars or Battlefield.

Edited by Baff1

You would have thought vehicles in a game based off of their racing engines would at least be able to get the handling of vehicles right.

Anyway, I don't think its the engine. More the values they entered into some Xml somewhere we can fix if we knew where they were. Then again, Templar has probably already done this.

You're right mr. Wolf. I stand corrected. I dug a little deeper and Helios said that humvees are drivable.My apolagies.:o

You're right mr. Wolf. I stand corrected. I dug a little deeper and Helios said that humvees are drivable.My apolagies.:o

I'm sorry that just blows my mind. Why even bother, if you cant drive....wait, here I go again.....about to rage about something I couldn't care less about.

Rage capped. Rage pressure released. Rage gone.

Ahhh, even so it just seems like a stupid thing to do, but then again...:banghead:

So stupid in fact that you would have to be dumber than the back end of a bus to believe it.

Or, as is more likely, just mindlessly hate the game.

I don't know why you deem it mindless when we have nothing but "their word" that it will be better than DR which, as we saw with DR, means absolutely nothing. With the cutting of features that were already implemented in DR, albeit a lot of them being half-assed, but still, the most logical thing to assume is that it will actually be worse than DR. How can cutting features like a mission editor, MP outside of coop, non-wheeled drivable vehicles, and a max of a 4 man "squad" limited to 4 possible roles possibly lead to a truer OFP experience? All of those go completely against it, further than DR could have ever hoped to go.

Did you actually play OFP, Baff1, or are you one of those guys who don't see the problem because they have no knowledge of the namesake?

Edited by Zipper5

I think Baff just doesn't care that its got OFP written on it, and is seeing it as "just another" FPS on the market, like the new rainbow series or new ghost recons. Not as a new OFP. And sees all this attacking of the game mindless, just because its got OFP written on it.

Which, Results in anyone with that thought pattern seeing all this bashing as "mindless"

Also, Perhaps Baff doesn't care, and just wants to see how the game turns out. Either way, Thats a crude judgement to come to, Zipper. Also;

Noone here has said RR will be more like an OFP game than DR.. Infact, we've said the opposite. Think first, Type second.

No one has said that explicitly, but he stated it is mindless to bash the game. I was simply giving one reason as to why it is not mindless, and probably the most prominent reason. People saying it won't be like OFP doesn't take away the Operation Flashpoint from its title. Codemasters keeping it indicates more than anything that they are still trying to pass it off to people that it is a game that would logically be a part of the OFP saga. It fits in as logically into that saga as the recent Rainbow Sixes or Ghost Recons fit into theirs, respectively.

Zipper, Anyone who knows the true OFP series wouldn't in their right mind consider RR to be an OFP game.

Anyone who doesn't know the true OFP series, Wouldn't want RR to be a true OFP. It's never going to be a true OFP, CM has changed what the OFP series is, ArmA is the true OFP series. OFP is now, a, "tactical shooter"

And theres nothing we can do except tell people where to go for the real Operation Flashpoint experience...

OFP 3, yet another Codemasters FAIL! :yay::bounce3:

Its like a child without a father, an unwanted bastard creation of an ingenious game.

Arma will always own.

Zipper, Anyone who knows the true OFP series wouldn't in their right mind consider RR to be an OFP game.

Anyone who doesn't know the true OFP series, Wouldn't want RR to be a true OFP. It's never going to be a true OFP, CM has changed what the OFP series is, ArmA is the true OFP series. OFP is now, a, "tactical shooter"

And theres nothing we can do except tell people where to go for the real Operation Flashpoint experience...

In that scenario the problem is no longer the producer and consumer, the problem is solely that of the producer. Codemasters, nonetheless, are still trying to pass it off as OFP, just like Ubisoft does with R6 and GR. It irks me more than anything to see OFP go down the exact same path, as I'm sure it does for many people here and elsewhere. People need to stop letting gaming companies like CM and Ubisoft completely ruin the names of classics because, I think we can all see, they've done nothing to progress the OFP name, as is the purpose with sequels, rather they've set it back, and their fraudulent business practices they so proudly exhibited with DR don't help either. I will give them credit for being masters of disguise, shame they're not masters of their field.

And as much as Arma is the new, true OFP, the name says different, and the number of people you see across the internet who post things along the lines of "Oh my God, a sequel to Cold War Crisis! I'm over the moon!" is very disheartening. People just don't know about the situation as much as they know of RR coming out (and I'd hedge my bets that's CM spending more money on advertising campaigns than on the game itself, which seems to be the way the business end of the game is played these days in this industry).

Edited by Zipper5

Yeah Codemasters did real crap to the name of Operation Flashpoint. When I am talking to gamers how I always liked the concept of Operation Flashpoint. Almost everytime it's the following dialogue:

Me: "You know Operation Flashpoint?"

Guy: "Yeah the game that was epic!"

Me: "Bohemia Interactive did a great job. It's still played after all these years. And look at the success of the sequels."

Guy: "Wait? The sequel to Dragon Rising has already been published??"

Me: "OMFG" *tripple facepalm* Never heard of Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis?

Guy: "Nope"

Me: *sigh*

And there's always a boring discussion afterwards. Some people even do really believe that "the game engine had been really improved from CWC to DR".

And as much as Arma is the new, true OFP, the name says different, and the number of people you see across the internet who post things along the lines of "Oh my God, a sequel to Cold War Crisis! I'm over the moon!" is very disheartening. People just don't know about the situation as much as they know of RR coming out (and I'd hedge my bets that's CM spending more money on advertising campaigns than on the game itself, which seems to be the way the business end of the game is played these days in this industry).

Which is exactly what I tried to point out earlier and was shot down (not by you). Some people played the original and just kept playing never knowing what happened, they would have picked up ArmA in the shop and laughed thinking "If I liked flashpoint I'd love this? No I wouldn't."

When I bought ArmA 2 I had this exact conversation with the dude selling it too me. He had no idea that ArmA was the real OFP and he had spent the last 5 years looking at bum sites about OPF2 in the making. Then CM bust out with this shite and he was all excited and couldn't wait. And he's in the industry man.

Yeah Codemasters did real crap to the name of Operation Flashpoint. When I am talking to gamers how I always liked the concept of Operation Flashpoint. Almost everytime it's the following dialogue:

Me: "Bohemia Interactive did a great job. It's still played after all these years. And look at the success of the sequels."

Me: "OMFG" *tripple facepalm* Never heard of Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis?

And there's always a boring discussion afterwards. Some people even do really believe that "the game engine had been really improved from CWC to DR".

To them it very well may be, the change in movement and command system may be seen as an improvement to some..you have to remember that not everyone is into the modding scene and therefore knows the engine as well as most of the community.

A friend of mine and I were discussing it the other day and he said he liked the newer one better because he could actually tell the difference between the america and russian soldiers, he doesn't really know about capabilities or anything like that..he doesn't play it for that.

I suppose in step from least features to more on consoles would have been COD4 1-2+blops, Halo, BFBC1-2, and then DR topping with more squad play.. but RR doesn't have that excuse anymore.

With the of diversity of units and types it meets BFBc but with it's squadplay tops it. RR doesn't have that excuse though, in fact it seems like something that should moreso be an expansion.

Edited by NodUnit

up :D

dialog interesting :] i have seen such things on some of forums

but probably if those people were playing REAL OFP , they would throw it away after 15 minutes (too complicated menu, died in first missions dozen times in first minute of "Steal the car")

That's indeed true. Most people I know complain about the ArmA series because they die too early and not being able to run around like Rambo. Yet they like DR for being realistic.

That's indeed true. Most people I know complain about the ArmA series because they die too early and not being able to run around like Rambo. Yet they like DR for being realistic.

Im guilty of this.

Its a physcological thing the feeling of being rewarded, or just knowing that your kicking serious ass.

I cant do that in arma 2 the AI mess me up (that or they cheat) in DR I can just run around corners guns blazing due to the consolish movement mechanics like those found in COD series, very simple not the case in arma 2 obviously.

Im pretty excited to see what Codeshafters have actually did to keep replayability in this game and what improvements they made to ego 2.0.

Its probably going to end up being full with lulz again though,

Well I feel rewarded I I manage to seize a town with my squad after a long and intense firefight in Arma. Even more If we manage to do that without loosing someone. This satisfies me more than running through a COD Level gunning everything down that moves.... (I always like to play through the COD Campaigns, its like a good Action movie, but the replayability almost zero)

In that scenario the problem is no longer the producer and consumer, the problem is solely that of the producer. Codemasters, nonetheless, are still trying to pass it off as OFP, just like Ubisoft does with R6 and GR. It irks me more than anything to see OFP go down the exact same path, as I'm sure it does for many people here and elsewhere. People need to stop letting gaming companies like CM and Ubisoft completely ruin the names of classics because, I think we can all see, they've done nothing to progress the OFP name, as is the purpose with sequels, rather they've set it back, and their fraudulent business practices they so proudly exhibited with DR don't help either. I will give them credit for being masters of disguise, shame they're not masters of their field.

This.

But with the proviso that they paid good money for that name fair and square and if anyone has the right to ruin it, it is them.

I also feel that since it is no secret that BIS make the games you want if it is a true sequel you are after, that release of a game with their old name on it, raises awareness of their new titles (to which they will always be compared) and rekindless a will to play more with a certain audience.

Every new OpF title gets BIS more sales. They have earnt their reputation.

In all honesty, as I see it, no one is losing from this one. (Except perhaps some mad PC gamer who pays R.R.P. off the shelf instead of half that from a decent online store).

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Well I feel rewarded I I manage to seize a town with my squad after a long and intense firefight in Arma. Even more If we manage to do that without loosing someone. This satisfies me more than running through a COD Level gunning everything down that moves.... (I always like to play through the COD Campaigns, its like a good Action movie, but the replayability almost zero)

I feel the same. I enjoy a good romp through COD. It's nice to see what they've done. It usually has it's moments of memorable drama that make it worthwhile.

I don't think I'd ever buy it however. It's far too much money for 3 or 4 hours playtime.

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Im guilty of this.

Its a physcological thing the feeling of being rewarded, or just knowing that your kicking serious ass.

I cant do that in arma 2 the AI mess me up (that or they cheat) in DR I can just run around corners guns blazing due to the consolish movement mechanics like those found in COD series, very simple not the case in arma 2 obviously.

Im pretty excited to see what Codeshafters have actually did to keep replayability in this game and what improvements they made to ego 2.0.

Its probably going to end up being full with lulz again though,

ArmA 2 I think has a lot more fluid movement than the original OpF. I think thye have made serious headway in this dept.

The AI is both a pig, and at the same time marvellous for the sheer amount of complex functions it can do.

Improvements with the EGO 2 engine?

I'm not expecting any at all.

Which isn't a problem for me since I was pretty damned impressed with the previous version of the engine. They get a lot of mileage out of an Xbox those guys. A lot of mileage.

Edited by Baff1