Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

Real OFP fans (by real fans I mean the guys that have been playing OFP for years) are already acutely aware that the true successor's of OFP are ArmA, ArmA2 and ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead, so I don't understand why some people here get infuriated just because foolish console sheep don't know the difference.

Anyone with half a brain would soon learn the true history of OFP, no point in being angry because it's only idiots that get suckered by Codemasters.

There's a difference between getting suckered, and playing DR becuase "its the successor to OFP", and playing it because you like it, whilst knowing that the true sequels are ArmA/A2.

The game isn't as bad as many make it out to be, it's Codemasters that were the problem. And their advertising "technique".

There's a difference between getting suckered, and playing DR becuase "its the successor to OFP", and playing it because you like it, whilst knowing that the true sequels are ArmA/A2.

I think he was merely suggesting that everyone should chill due to true OFP fans knowing the true sequels.

The reason true fans get a little agitated by the whole thing is because there are definitely people who played and loved the originals who have no idea, and will run out to buy it.

That and we'd rather not play at all than see CM get $$ for what they have previously done :D

I think he was merely suggesting that everyone should chill due to true OFP fans knowing the true sequels.

Thanks, that's exactly what I meant.

The reason true fans get a little agitated by the whole thing is because there are definitely people who played and loved the originals who have no idea, and will run out to buy it.

I doubt that anyone who loved OFP was unaware that Dragon Rising wasn't developed by Bohemia Interactive.

That and we'd rather not play at all than see CM get $$ for what they have previously done :D

I'm tipping that the release of Dragon Rising actually boosted ArmA2 sales.

I play the original OFP, using its Mission Editor quite a bit, Yet, I still like the CM version of Flashpoint (to a certain level)

I' just don't understand why you all get so huffed up about it, If it didn't have the name "operation flashpoint" everyone would just kick it away and the thread would die, much like every other game thread in the offtopic section. Yet, People come back to this one.

He, CM is British, we work in ££ :)

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

I'm tipping that the release of Dragon Rising actually boosted ArmA2 sales.

^^

This is probably more true than we think/joke about it. People go to DR, find its not what they expected, see ArmA II pop up everywhere, look into ArmAII then play that instead. Everyone here should be happy that CM took the name, its only brought good to ArmA II, I mean, FLIR and their latest patch I would expect have been pushed a little bit by their competition. Well, If you can call RR/DR competition. :rolleyes:

If it didn't have the name "operation flashpoint" everyone would just kick it away and the thread would die

The real reason that this thread won't die is because deep down inside of us we all truly wanted Dragon Rising to be better than ArmA2. I blame Clive Lindop, he had us all absolutely convinced that Codemasters were developing a milsim so realistic that it would rock our world and revolutionise the FPS market. We all felt swindled and betrayed when we found that we had been conned. We were conned, plain and simple, and that is the real root of all the anger.

The real reason that this thread won't die is because deep down inside of us we all truly wanted Dragon Rising to be better than ArmA2. I blame Clive Lindop, he had us all absolutely convinced that Codemasters were developing a milsim so realistic that it would rock our world and revolutionise the FPS market. We all felt swindled and betrayed when we found that we had been conned. We were conned, plain and simple, and that is the real root of all the anger.

True, very true, at the time, just before DR's release I wasn't happy with Arma 2, it was buggy and hard crashing constantly, I was looking for something better and DR seemed it... Then two things happened, DR was released and all CM's promises turned to vapour, and BIS got their shit together and released an awesome patch that fixed many game killing bugs. Respect to BIS, one finger for CM.

...just before DR's release...

In this time it was pretty much clear what type of game is DR going to be. All those "promises" made by Clive Lindop and former team in early stages of development were already proved as false in this stage.

In this time it was pretty much clear what type of game is DR going to be. All those "promises" made by Clive Lindop and former team in early stages of development were already proved as false in this stage.

Those "promises" were on the release posters, and no, no one knew for sure how "bad" the game was going to be till release, though some had their suspicions.

So then you say CM clearly said they weren't "developing a milsim so realistic that it would rock our world" yet on their release posters they put the quote "The most realistic shooter ever made" mixed messages much? Good thing you're so perceptive.

Edited by MrBump

They clearly stated it won't be a milsim, but a tactical shooter. That quote you mentioned was made by some console magazine...

They clearly stated it won't be a milsim, but a tactical shooter. That quote you mentioned was made by some console magazine...

Realism is the issue here, not milsim vs tactical shooter. I don't think they even knew the difference.

Edited by MrBump

The first time I seen this E3 presentation footage I had an eyegasm when the video reached the 1:34 mark.

Someone punch that lying conartist on one of his chins.

On that incredibly blurry projection screen, it looks a lot like Arma 2. Could be Chernarus with a sixteenth the resolution.

I can´t understand how someone can fit in there^^

Same way they fit hundreds of crew on old tall ships and flight crews in kiowa's :D..it is just crowded..probably great with parking space though.

On that incredibly blurry projection screen, it looks a lot like Arma 2. Could be Chernarus with a sixteenth the resolution.

It actually does. So following that logic, ArmA2 would have looked like DR if BIS had applied an insane amount of blur and other post-processing effects that simulate an acid trip.

ArmA 2 beats DR not on looks but on content.

The amount of objects and the draw distance.

Both games look great, but ArmA offers you a more flexable enviroment in which more sophisticated scenario's may be modelled.

ArmA 2 beats DR not on looks but on content.

Quality should come before quantity. Arma2 still is riddled with bugs over a year from release. ;)

And DR's support was dropped, all the while it still causes 100% CPU usage. It too had many bugs, you were just so confined by the vanilla stuff to see them much unless you messed around in the editor.

Quality should come before quantity. Arma2 still is riddled with bugs over a year from release. ;)

I don't know who you're trying to convince here, but most of us are playing those games (OFP/ArmA/ArmA2) for almost ten years now. We all know here that ArmA2 has some flaws, but it's very far from being "riddled with bugs". I don't see any quality in DR, apart from being a subpar product available on consoles. And very cheap now.

Name 20 bugs you often encounter please. I'm just curious, it's not meant to be offensive.

I'm really not surprised by how sneaky CM operates when it comes to a OFPDR game. One of the biggest features that people asked for was freelook in vehicles. So for OFPDR RR CM announces that freelook is in while a few days before that it was confirmed that there is no driving or piloting of vehicles. So CM want praise for giving us the ability to turn our heads while sitting in the cargo of a helicopter or in the back of a jeep. :icon_eek::icon_eek:Well done CM, well done.FPDR

... DR already had freelook, its not much of an "acheivment"

Name 20 bugs you often encounter please. I'm just curious, it's not meant to be offensive.

There are no real show stoppers in my opinion.

There was on launch. Really unforgiveable ones like the campaign not working.

Freelook but no vehicles to drive is beyond stupid.

So stupid in fact that I don't believe it to be true.

Edited by Baff1

Like i always said I wouldn't mind if these CM beancounters acturally gave me a Ghost recon/OFP type tactical shooter, but they clearly fail to do that, and as far as I seen from RR video they are going down the same path again, which is one of those dumb down so call "tactical" shooter

Edited by 4 IN 1

I'm really not surprised by how sneaky CM operates when it comes to a OFPDR game. One of the biggest features that people asked for was freelook in vehicles. So for OFPDR RR CM announces that freelook is in while a few days before that it was confirmed that there is no driving or piloting of vehicles. So CM want praise for giving us the ability to turn our heads while sitting in the cargo of a helicopter or in the back of a jeep. :icon_eek::icon_eek:Well done CM, well done.FPDR

You can drive in RR, but it's limited to jeeps, trucks, maybe some buggy...