Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

lol, Pol said that he would never touch the game nor forums again. So that was our first clue.

You post about that forum and look on that forum daily....

Indeed, but as you may or may not be able to see, I'm logged in right now in my real account, Zipper5. I could post but none of you could see it because of what appears to be a need for a moderator to approve them.

But meh, think what you want to think. I'm not a troll. ;)

Huh? I don't think that was you anymore. Its probably the same guy as the new Sir Pol.

Ben, perhaps you'll want to do your fellow community members a favor and inform them of the situation? That is if Bascule there doesn't beat you to it.

I'm saying nowt...but just in the interests of clarity, that is indeed me.

I love how the lone modder has described RR. "Simulated Tactical Action First Person Shooter". So it's a simulation of a Tactical Action First Person Shooter? A simulation of a game perhaps? Wow. Just wow.

I call a Simulated Hit In The Skull games.

---------------

And then..

Yes, No matter how much the BIS fanboys deny it, no matter how much CM ones deny it. Neither game is a mil-sim. They're both Tactical Shooters with "varying" levels of realism in it.
Arma 2 is a tactical shooter then? Only VBS is a mil sim? The two are almost identical. Tell me, does it get uncomfortable on the fence?

On the topic of MilSim vs. tactical shooter, I haven't actually ever heard anything like a real definition of the terms that would separate them. If there is one, maybe someone can point me to it. :)

I'd also like to know when and why people stopped referring to OFP, and subsequently ArmA and Arma 2, as a military simulator. :confused:

Brrr.... British cooking :throwup:

You best be trollin' :mad:

This troll saga is entertaining, long may it continue :p

This troll saga is entertaining, long may it continue :p

Unfortunately I think his days are numbered now that he's been found to be an impersonator. :(

Neither ArmA nor the original OFP are Military Simulators, since they don't "simulate" it.

They're just a more realistic first person shooter with tactics. VBS is where the mil-sims begin.

Not saying A2 isn't realistic or anything, its just not what you could call a mil-sim. Yet......

I'm mainly curious whom it's, I know of two people who would attempt to impersonate Polaris for a laugh but him and Zipper? No idea I'm afraid.

Also Zipper to be frank the reason why the majority of people were taken in with the persons impersonation of you was probably due to you not being (How do I put this without offense) not well known in the forum itself. Polaris was a figurehead of the community like Templar is now during Dragons Rising so people would be able to spot any discrepancies between the old and new, as for you however you wasn't heavily active in the dragons rising community so people cannot use any previous knowledge to combat the new.

Edited by Tyrokiller

You best be trollin' :mad:

Oh my bad, i always thought that people courageous enough to eat haggis deserve a medal ! At least those that survived the experience. Sorry for this culinary off-topic, i stop it here.

Edited by ProfTournesol

I'm mainly curious whom it's, I know of two people who would attempt to impersonate Polaris for a laugh but him and Zipper? No idea I'm afraid.

Yes, Who would want to impersonate Zipper? Thats an odd one.

Neither ArmA nor the original OFP are Military Simulators, since they don't "simulate" it.

They're just a more realistic first person shooter with tactics. VBS is where the mil-sims begin.

Not saying A2 isn't realistic or anything, its just not what you could call a mil-sim. Yet......

The main difference between ARMA and VBS2 is that VBS2 doesnt have the same post processing and fancy textures. That is all done to keep minimum spec for computers down. There are people playing VBS2 just as they play ARMA, why would they be "simulating" in one and not the other? In the end its up to the users how they use the software. ARMA is, and so was OFP, a simulator. Yes, alot of missions is not up to "mil-sim spec" but a gamey designed mission in Lock-on or IL2 doesnt make the software less simulator.

Or am I wrong here? If so, what exactly makes VBS a sim and not OFP/ARMA?

Yup, you can see in this video I made that VBS2 US Army Lite, at least, plays very similar to ArmA. The only major difference I noticed was in the sight-swaying and hold-your-breath mechanics, they were different and more realistic. The core gameplay mechanics are the same in both games, but VBS2 has 1,000x the features, as you would expect considering it costs 1,000x more. :p

9MBQg-7z-04

Yeah, and its all those features that make it the mil-sim. Which is why ArmA has the capacity to become a mil-sim over time. Its just not at that mark yet.

Yeah, and its all those features that make it the mil-sim. Which is why ArmA has the capacity to become a mil-sim over time. Its just not at that mark yet.

So, for tiny differences like that, you are lumping DR/RR with arma 2 as a tac shooter? Utter bollocks. Varying levels of realism my arse. But I guess this is a BI fanboy talking eh?

You are just trying to have it both ways here and over there. What are you some kind forum United Nations or something?

Edited by Bascule42

So, for tiny differences like that, you are lumping DR/RR with arma 2 as a tac shooter? Utter bollocks. Varying levels of realism my arse.

You are just trying to have it both ways here and over there. What are you some kind forum United Nations or something?

Tiny? There are litteraly thousands of features that differ from VBS to ArmA.

ArmA isnt a Mil-Sim, and DR isnt a generic FPS. They both fall (at opposite ends) of the Tac-Shooter spectrum.

ArmA isnt a Mil-Sim, and DR isnt a generic FPS. They both fall (at opposite ends) of the Tac-Shooter spectrum.

Its this "tac shooter" bollox that Lenton came up with here thats the problem. If you want to suck everthing CM spews out, thats fine, just dont apply it to anything else other than the shite coming out of that fail factory in Warwickshire.

Tac Shooter! What next? A synergistic & holistic approach to the focusing of the dynamic core gameplay mechanics that will make RR a hit? I know you are young Ben, but come on, surely you can see bullshit corporate marketing language when you see/hear it.

Tac-Shooter! ...pissa.

Tactical shooter tends to apply more to games like Rainbow Six: Vegas and Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (and RR as well, but we know that anyways). I don't think it's really fair to group a game so vastly different to them like Arma 2 in the same category.

Name one feature that makes the difference please. Or the opposite maybe, tell what feature that arma needs to become a sim?

Simulation is quite a broad word and the differense between the two softwares are not that big.

On the topic of MilSim vs. tactical shooter, I haven't actually ever heard anything like a real definition of the terms that would separate them. If there is one, maybe someone can point me to it. :)

A tactical shooter is a type of video game in which the player must use strategy in order to complete objectives.

A Military Simulator is a type of Computer Program in which the user has access to an assortment of military hardware that has been realistically recreated.

A tactical shooter is a type of video game in which the player must use strategy in order to complete objectives.

I would say that they need tactics to complete objectives? :p

Does it require two people to drive and shoot from a tank in DR or does it only need one person.

Does it require two people to drive and shoot from a tank in DR or does it only need one person.

It doesn't matter all that much since this thread is about RR, and that won't allow players to jump in any sort of vehicles :)