Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

How immature you all look, I was simply trying to state that its a shame that he's not making mods for ARMA2 seen as he's obviously good at it.

Templar hasn't been here on this forum in like 6 months, yet you still feel the need to bash him and bring up something that must have happened like a year ago now.

If you think he's a "CM" poster child, just read the posts he makes in the Red River forum, hardly posts of a "marketing alias"...... laughable

I'm glad he doesn't waste his time here anymore....

How immature you all look, I was simply trying to state that its a shame that he's not making mods for ARMA2 seen as he's obviously good at it.

Templar hasn't been here on this forum in like 6 months, yet you still feel the need to bash him and bring up something that must have happened like a year ago now.

If you think he's a "CM" poster child, just read the posts he makes in the Red River forum, hardly posts of a "marketing alias"...... laughable

I'm glad he doesn't waste his time here anymore....

and you are his advocate or ... Temp under new nick ?

cause you have 5 posts ONLY in OFP 3 RR topic

The reason he hasn't been here for six months is because he was banned, for comments far less mature than anything you'll have seen on these last few pages. And even then it was only a temporary ban - if memory serves, he was finally permabanned for trying to circumvent the temp-ban by creating multiple duplicate accounts.

But looking at your join date and post history here, I'm guessing you knew that already... *wink wink*

I have read some of his posts on the RR forums. One moment he'll get a little too angry at how bad DR was, and how bad the dev team are at community relations, but then he'll be apologizing on his knees to Codemasters for doing so.

Edit: Found it.

Edited by Zipper5

It makes me cry to think about what templar could have done for ARMA2

Not to denigrate the interesting stuff he's made for DR... but this is a guy who couldn't manage to order his subordinates to board a vehicle in A2, so I'm not convinced he would have rocked the modding world if he'd moved over to the light side of the force.

C'mon... just let us stop bashing him. The old DR thread was already full of that. He don't like ArmA so he sticks with CM. That's ok with me. He made some bad comments here and gained a ban, than a permanent one. Our community is full of talented people, so there is no loss nor a gain, if he's part of our community or not.

Kind regards

Not to denigrate the interesting stuff he's made for DR... but this is a guy who couldn't manage to order his subordinates to board a vehicle in A2, so I'm not convinced he would have rocked the modding world if he'd moved over to the light side of the force.

If I remember it was actually ordering units out of a vehicle while in the vehicle, but hey, lets not keep to the facts :p

I play ARMA2 a little, I don't get a great deal of time for games, but a couple of weeks ago Dragon Rising was in the bargain bin so I got it. The game was mediocre at best, but after installing his hacks/mods/whatever (AI one in particular), suddenly the game was actually pretty cool (especially playing Urban War). I just doubt 90% of you have tried playing Dragon Rising with all his stuff loaded on is all.

C'mon... just let us stop bashing him. The old DR thread was already full of that. He don't like ArmA so he sticks with CM. That's ok with me. He made some bad comments here and gained a ban, than a permanent one. Our community is full of talented people, so there is no loss nor a gain, if he's part of our community or not.

Kind regards

Hear hear.

To get back on topic, has there been any word on the moddability of RR, or are they keeping that part quiet this time?

Hear hear.

To get back on topic, has there been any word on the moddability of RR, or are they keeping that part quiet this time?

lulz@moddability ..., there weren't any "mods" ( just hacks) for DR i can see it been the same for RR too.

IMHO CM dont want long term playability they want a short term cash cow fix then rinse and repeat. I honestly think they are going to try and make OFP their equivalent to the CoD franchise.

The game was mediocre at best, but after installing his hacks/mods/whatever (AI one in particular), suddenly the game was actually pretty cool (especially playing Urban War).

His version had a much better 'eye for colour' than CM's, the difficulty was pitched about right, it gave the illusion of being in a warzone through atmosphere far better than the vanilla campaign, and you could avoid using CM's graphics-card frying patch. It looks like RR is likely to be steered even further away from the experience his mods created, which will be a shame.

@jarrodb

Im having an ale and feel like a yarn! Welcome to the forums... how do the games (Arma/Dr) compare for you?

Nice video... looked awesome, only other thing that bugs me about the game though is how the optics are stuck too the screen when aiming and therefore there is no mouse skill (variation, weapon sway?) involved when targeting, and too be picky the blood effects are over done and the nades underdone, but love all the screen effects, real immersion there... and would love it if Arma had some of that, apparently they had some in the EW campaign? but i dnt play the campaigns.

Theres one thing that bugs me a lot about all these games though... the AI always want to run around in the open in a firefight, every time and every game including arma. the AI do not hug walls, stay concealed... retreat etc... they do a reasonable job of imitating it but not enough to drop my jaw, although from what ive seen from the DR AI they at times act brilliantly as in they move from (good) cover to cover, and although im only stuck on the first mission i like the way my AI team mates seem to take care of them selves really well, i just probably couldnt ask one of them to hop in a heli and shoot across the island to pick up some bread from the dairy and drop some eggs off at my aunties on way back, in arma you can! well ok you cant!? but you know what i mean.

I hope im still around when they manage to make AI see and hear like human, or to quote wikipedia "the ability to analyze visual input"

Unfortunately i doubt it if RR will give me anymore than DR can as it seems to be going somewhat corridor, console etc... even COD has lean.

And that Templar guy is talented, seems he lifted that game up on his own, im amazed at guys that can code like that, some of them are like artists.

Anyway i recommend u get OA, it really lifts arma too a new level of excellence... and BIS just gave us some free content with a patch!

I'm not convinced he would have rocked the modding world if he'd moved over to the light side of the force.

That's an interesting comment, because the fact of the matter is that Templar has managed to make ArmA's AI look significantly impaired.

Bulletbiter, it's been a while since I've had DR installed, so I haven't looked at what he's managed to achieve more recently. However, from what I saw, he scripted the AI to do certain things specific to the objectives he created for a particular mission.

So, for Island War he scripted that if the player captured a flag, x amount of time later 3 enemy units would spawn (y% chance of them being infantry, z% chance of them being light vehicles...), try to recapture the flag and then hold it.

He made another mission where you were moving from one side of the island to the other. For the purposes of this, he scripted that enemy units would spawn in front of the player and try to flank aggressively.

A2's AI can be scripted in such a way (have a look at WICT mod for example), but most people don't bother, since the AI generally do an acceptable job without their hands being held.

If Templar made any significant specific improvements to the way the game engine intrinsically controls AI units, I would be interested to hear what he achieved, having uninstalled DR before his latest stuff.

Well, with how poorly the game turned out, and how deplorable CM's "community service" was, why would any sane person play DR again? :rolleyes:

I got rid of my boxed copy of DR a long time ago. Thankfully I got it from a friend who absolutely hated it and gave it to me for free as soon as I said I wanted to test it out. No money lost on my part. ;)

Well, with how poorly the game turned out, and how deplorable CM's "community service" was, why would any sane person play DR again? :rolleyes:

I got rid of my boxed copy of DR a long time ago. Thankfully I got it from a friend who absolutely hated it and gave it to me for free as soon as I said I wanted to test it out. No money lost on my part. ;)

LOLz i got my money back ( like many other pc users) due to false advertising and misrepresentation.... but what do i know, according to the all infamous Sion, im in a vocal minority... btw what sort of a name is sion anyway ffs lolz.

Sion's a perfectly normal sounding name. It's pronounced how you would pronounce Sean, just a different spelling.

Templars mods. ;)

Polish a turd, still a turd. And that turd's gotta be awfully damn shiny by now. :p

And aren't they actually referred to as hacks? Since the game doesn't actually physically allow modding at all? He seems to refer to them as hacks, at least.

Edited by Zipper5

And aren't they actually referred to as hacks? Since the game doesn't actually physically allow modding at all? He seems to refer to them as hacks, at least.

I guess 'unofficial hacks' would be the most appropriate term as he certainly gets no help from Codemasters.

Enough said...

Not really.

I'd be interested to hear about what extra AI features Templar was able to implement. If DR with hacks has some better AI features than Arma 2, it would be good to know about.

Just because I uninstalled a game that I didn't like that much doesn't mean I didn't give it a fair go. I went to the trouble of reinstalling to check out TGFX's hacks he released for the early patches, then uninstalled for the final time after realising that, imo, DR does nothing (including CQB) as well as Arma 2. This was before OA's release.

Edit - http://community.codemasters.com/forum/general-discussion-1335/424310-operation-flashpoint-tattoo.html:sulkoff:

Edited by Richey79

I guess 'unofficial hacks' would be the most appropriate term as he certainly gets no help from Codemasters.

Why should he get any support from CM? They dropped support months ago. Which says a lot to me about their company business model.

What I was really hoping for was an alternative wargame to play, instead of BIS games. A game that would be superior to what BIS has achieved so far. For achieving that gol, DR failed completely. The info leaked about RR until now, seems not to be different. And honestly even if Codemaster would develope the game of all wargames, I won't buy it. It's their company policy that I detest. I'm sorry to say but they don't merit my money. This is in no way a childish behaviour of mine. What happened after the release of DR just confirmed me that I did myself a favour not to purchase DR.

Tricking people to buy something with questionable marketing is damaging on the long term a company.

What I do understand is, why they are putting al these restriction on to their games. I understand perfectly their marketing policy.

What I don't understand is their behaviour towards their customers (their community).

What I love about BIS games is the absoute freedom you have when playing this game. CM's DR limited all this freedom as far as I could establish with playing only a rented version of DR and only for 1 afternoon. I was just disapointed. It was completely inferior to what I'm used to play when playing ArmA II.

I don't believe that RR can somehow give me the thrills the same as ArmA does. I'm fully aware about it's limitations and flaws and I can live with that ( due to support by BIS ). But RR will have the same restricting issues which the majority of our community detests. For all true OFP fans RR will result a new failure. It won't be superieur to ArmA II.

Yeah the video looked nice, but I prefer the gameplay ArmA offers and the freedom I have without any kind of restrictions. Now everybody can call me a fanboi.:D

I would like to see a wargame better than ArmA, that's what I'm looking for, but I know that only BIS can beat themselves. Not much of a competition around so far. Other companies care more about the money they are making rather than about their games.

And as it had been stated thousand times before, there wouldn't be an issue if the game wasn't called Operation Flashpoint.

Second, video games are a matter of personal taste.

Everyone can play whatevere he likes.

Sorry for my rant, but this is becoming another DR thread. LOL!

Kind regards

A hundred pages and a thousand posts about something that doesn't exist is somehow remarkable :cool:

Yes it is indeed remarkable. It was the same as in the DR thread I guess some kind of entertainment plays a huge role. We all are very passionate about our favourite games aren't we? And people love to bash things on the Internet.:D

regards

I'd be interested to hear about what extra AI features Templar was able to implement. If DR with hacks has some better AI features than Arma 2, it would be good to know about.

Templar has managed to create the most realistic AI ever seen in an open world tactical military shooter - pop your head up out of cover and your dead style gameplay. ArmA AI are simply no match for a human, you can easily snipe them from long range at your leisure. You won't have that luxury with Templars mods, the AI are cunning and ruthless.

I went to the trouble of reinstalling to check out TGFX's hacks he released for the early patches, then uninstalled for the final time after realising that, imo, DR does nothing (including CQB) as well as Arma 2. This was before OA's release.

The trick is to install the correct mods and create your own missions in the editor. You will need the Entity Database mod and the Ultimate AI mod. Select the extreme dispersion system and only play on hardcore mode.

Be warned, when you play on those settings the AI is uncompromising.

It can be defeated, but it will give you a hell of a fight.

Remember Clive Lindop boasting about the Dragon Rising AI employing realistic 'battle drills', I'm betting when he left Codemasters the replacement team decided to target the consoletards and purposely muzzled the AI.

No, people stop playing it all down.

Noone here would have cared if Codemasters had produced a good game and noone's pride would have been hurt. Noone would have laughed, if they would had failed (like they did)

But the dity way in which they organised and aimed their media campaign stole all sympathy away from them. I just dont feel like I want to be associated with a product that was made/financed but this sort of people. Simple as that.