Sign in to follow this  
CaptRio

Left Handed players, UNITE!!!

Ya i know CaptRio wish they would just add the option like in OPF cant be that hard.

But don't you have to move your hand to reload and pretty much everything? At least it's impossible for me to keep moving with arrow keys while doing some other things at the same time. Or maybe I have too old of a keyboard :).

Arrow keys are only for the simplest games that aren't played on mouse.

Well i dont have to move my hand for crl, shift, \, delete, end page down and a few of the num pad keys which is enough for most fps. With arma its slow enough gameplay and i have been doing it long enough that it does not bother me.

Mouse in the left hand.

I use R mouse button to fire, with left index, L button is zoom/optics. M mouse button for centering TIR, or Free look when TIR is not enabled.

All my keys are mapped to the number pad, the page/del block, and the arrow keys, all very accessible to my right hand. Plenty of buttons in that region of the keyboard, and because of layout, hard to confuse buttons.

Just bought my first 'left handed' gaming mouse from razor, and its pretty cool. Have been waiting for years for someone to make a decent gaming mouse for us left handers.

You should check it out.

Razor Death Adder Left Handed

EDIT: If you got to the trouble of getting one, suggest you get one of their 'metal' mouse mats. The combination is awesome for control and accuracy.

Edited by Fish44

I'm a very special and twisted case :)

growing up in my early years my parents noticed a little weakness in the left arm and so they trained me more to the left than to the right ... after some time educating me that way they noticed that I neglected my right arm too much :butbut: because everything I did was left-sided

and so they began to train my right side, again - this must have been the time when I've learned to eat with knive, fork and spoon because I hold knive lefthand and fork righthand until today :) and it works very well, of course ...

soccer/football I play right foot, racket-sports I practice righthanded, mouse is righthanded, too with just one exception:

while gaming I place mouse + pad left to keyboard, shooting trigger is left mousebutton (middle finger) and right mouse button => pointing finger,

fw/bw/strafe left/strafe right => arrow-keys

prone, crouching, standing up => default (german layout y,x,c)

other important functions like leaning left/right/free look/zooming/changing weapon etc => spread over num-pad and ins/del/pos1/end/pgup/pgdwn

reloading => default ®

it works ! I couldn't have it in a different way ;)

Edited by langgis08

In RL: left handed only. I do everything with my left hand. It's as if my right hand is disabled or something (Ok not when using knives for dinner). It's so extreme that my left arm is much stronger than my right arm. But when I'm in front of my PC the mouse is always on the right side. I can also use the left hand for the mouse but keyboard+my right hand = FAIL

It's so extreme that my left arm is much stronger than my right arm.

same with me, just vice versa (my right arm is far stronger than my left arm, despite of the training I had in my very early childhood) ... if you'd measure the perimeter there's a noticable difference at my wrist and for my arm in total (right > left), not in length but in "thickness" ...

Hmm im right handed and my left arm is stronger. Well at least it seems stronger when im lifting weights i have to really try not to favor my left arm.

HMMMMM.... I just bought this game and man there are a RIDICULOUS amount of keyboard commands. It is overwhelming because as a TRUE lefthander, I use the mouse with my left hand. But to make it easier for me, I use the U for forward, J for backward, H for left, K for right. I use this for every shooter on the PC. It sucks because for every game I have to go in and change the controls for everything. I actually looked up this thread to see if anybody else has a similar control scheme I could copy because I am having a hard time with conflicting buttons for the different commands, what a pain.... I had to clear out my scheme and start over again cause something got screwed up and I couldn't get it back again. GRRRRR...... I'll probably write back here again if that problem creeps up again. Anyone else have button conflicts? Why does the same key have like five different commands? MAkes it very frustrating when trying to remap.

Why does the same key have like five different commands? MAkes it very frustrating when trying to remap.

:confused:

Which one ?

Or maybe you're talking about keys for infantry, planes, vehicles,...?

I don't know how it could be different...

If this really upset you so much just set your keys for the infantry and don't play with the ground vehicles, planes, helo,...

SO you'll have one key for one command...and you'll miss half of the game's potential...

Edited by Macadam Cow

First thing i learned in PC usage (on a 386) was handling the mouse with my right hand :D

same here. i write with left, i played footbal with my left foot but i play games with my righthand? :confused:

if i read the dramas here as a lefthand gamer, iam happy with my anomalie :D

i have standard config.

Us lefties die alot less than righties, how you ask.

Because are pinky finger is physically stronger to go prone :p

:confused:

Which one ?

Or maybe you're talking about keys for infantry, planes, vehicles,...?

I don't know how it could be different...

If this really upset you so much just set your keys for the infantry and don't play with the ground vehicles, planes, helo,...

SO you'll have one key for one command...and you'll miss half of the game's potential...

Yes, I'm talking about trying to map for all the uses. Planes, tanks, etc. It really screws things up trying to map for all of these, cause sometimes I'll remap and find that the button I remapped for, something in the plane for example, was once my map button, and now everything get screwed up.... you right handers have no idea how frustrating it is trying to do this and get everything so that things are not conflicting. Then trying to remember them once I manage to figure it out. Are there maybe some buttons I could just skip and not use, maybe something that isn't used often? I don't even know what some of the commands are that are listed.

BTW I changed my user name cause the forum doesn't seem to like my password I created, so I just made a new name. Generic I know.

I'm left handed too ;)

I play like a righty but it took me a long time before I feel comfortable with my keybinding.

You need to play a little bit and see how it works for you.

Edited by Macadam Cow

Whats your ingame controls configuration?

I like to fire with my index finger, so as a lefty I always fire with mouse 2. But ArmaII/OA dont let me change the mouse buttons properly.

And my movement keys are the numlock arrows.

How do you, LEFTIES, play? :j:

Can't Windows reverse the buttons for you?

LOL left handers just got a right hand for 3.99$ ^^

learn to rule with right hand

Cross dominant here. I try to play with a left handed mouse and fail completely.

The only thing that pisses me off is that there are NO games that allow you to swap your rifle from your right shoulder to your left.

It just feels...awkward... to be playing like a right handed shooter when I personally shoot lefty.

PS: I just bought this game, hence the just now getting a forum account. Been lurking for a while though.

I'm left handed. Lefties need to live by the credo

"Improvise, adapt, overcome"

I have no problems in Arma.

I'm left handed. Lefties need to live by the credo

"Improvise, adapt, overcome"

True. I never even had the idea to change the mouse to the left.

When I think about it there are so many useless things beeing build for us 'lefties'. For example a friend of mine had a bike that had a layout for left handed people. Brakes and gear shift were changed. He forgot to tell me about it and I immediatly flew over the handlebars when i braked... That's the most useless maybe even dangerous thing that's ever been invented imho. Maybe someone (left handed) knows worse examples?

Edited by Derbysieger

Whats your ingame controls configuration?

I like to fire with my index finger, so as a lefty I always fire with mouse 2. But ArmaII/OA dont let me change the mouse buttons properly.

And my movement keys are the numlock arrows.

How do you, LEFTIES, play? :j:

I just use the defaults and hold the mouse with my left hand when I play left handed.

I just use the defaults and hold the mouse with my left hand when I play left handed.

same here.

I'm what you call ambisinister which basically means both my hands are equally bad. Essentially its like I'm a right handed person with two left hands, does that count?