Sign in to follow this  
RogueBlade

What extensions do you guys use on your target line for OA

I've been out for a couple months and got OA. Wondering what extensions we need to use these days.

Right now I just have -nosplash -maxmem=6000

Do I need -cpu count or -winxp or change the exe name or anything of the sort?

(win 7 x64)

-mod=.....(massive list of mods).... -world="Zargabad"

I don't use noSplash simply because the splash screens aren't that bad, and don't take too much time to load... Patience is a virtue. :p

You guys should use a launcher, soooo much better! :D

You guys should use a launcher, soooo much better! :D

Can't beat a bit of the old retro style of using a target line though. :D

So -exThreads=3 spreads the work load across your other 3 cores? Does it not do that by itself? Do you notice performance gains?

I always use launchers ;)

In OA i use -nosplash -exThreads=5

-exThreads=5 on my system give me best performance and more FPS

So if I have an i7 920 my -exThreads should be...........?

Not sure in your case, but you may run the benchmark test in OA and see which one of them you should use.

cpuCount

-cpuCount= is option which allows define number of CPUs/cores available.

The best way to simulate dual core on quad core is to use -cpuCount=2 when you run the game and then change the affinity to 2 cores to make sure additional cores can never be used when some over-scheduling happens. It might be also possible to set the affinity in the OS before you launch the process, that would work as well.

[edit]

exThreads

-exThreads= is option to define extra threads.

All file operations go through a dedicated thread. This offloads some processing from the main thread, however it adds some overhead at the same time. The reason why threaded file ops were implemented was to serve as a basement for other threads ops. When multiple threads are running at the same time, OS is scheduling them on different cores. Geometry and Texture loading (both done by the same thread) are scheduled on different cores outside the main rendering loop at the same time with the main rendering loop.

More info here: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters

Thank you, I read that, it's just all over my head :P

Why would one want to simulate dual core on a quad core processor when running arma2/OA?

Bear in mind, if you are using the latest OA beta patch then the "-cpucount=" extension is calculated automatically (ie. if you have a quad core then it will set it to 4, I think it also takes hyperthreading into account). You only use it now to override the default. The same applies to exThreads.

Ok, and what is the default? So anyone with a quad core and not using the latest beta patch should essentially have '-cpucount=4' ?

Correct. I imagine that the default is 1, but I can't be sure.

How can i use the ingame extensions feature instead of having to use the -mod command?

"H:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" -mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion;@CBA;@NEM_AIfix -nosplash

'@NEM_AIfix' doesnt actually contain that, but its my default random addons folder and it only contains an edited vanilla pbo, nim_weather, some PROPER addons and VFAI_equipment.

The last couple of beta's dont need cpucount or exthreads for my PhenomII, default (cpu=4 threads=7)works fine.