Sign in to follow this  
mr burns

Incremental Aiming back?!

Anyone who isn´t familiar to this bug, have a look here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=67124&highlight=incremental+aiming

It was a confirmed and later fixed issue in ArmA1 - and as the title says, i fear it is back!

It shows the most with the Lee Enfield rifle. To test it, just grab one of those and aim for a target far away. You´ll find that the horizontal aiming only reacts 'pixel wise' - thus making aimed shots at range mostly impossible, most of the time even centering static targets becomes a real pain.

Apart from being unable to have a good aim with this kind of situation, the issue (allegedly) also leads to crazy jagged movement of the backsight when looking down sights and slowly turning - jaggyness wont show if you turn quickly, but if you turn slowly it´ll look as if the player character has a serious epileptic fit.

As far as my observation goes, it affects all rifles in the game.

Tested & replicated on ArmA2 + OA installation, with ARMA2_OA_Build_72197.zip and also with only the 1.52 patch (non beta).

Tried also with deadzone set to higher/highest and lower/lowest values, i usually choose to have it in the middle.

Results were always the same.

Tried searching the CIT for something about this but failed.

If there´s a ticket for this already i´ll bend over and take what i deserve ....

edit: Just tested with Vanilla ArmA2.exe (latest version) and everything's fine there.

Edited by Mr Burns

How far is "far away"?

What's your sensitivity set to?

No mods right?

Video or no one believes you! ;)

Maybe try a temporary profile and see if it persists.

aaand I'm out. sorry, useless.

Mr. Burns?

Is your mouse fitted with matching ground surface to have the mouses full potential at your command?

I´m using G9 on a QcK heavySteel XXL Pad(40x30x2cm) or if that gets too dirty a Razer Exactmat on the "speed"-side.

Noticed weird mouse behaviours on different surfaces (haveing tested through MX518, G5,G9, Razer Lachesis on the above mentioned mousepads and a score of others consisting from alu to glass or fiberglass materials, even had an alu-plate grinded and polished at work for me) which directly impacts abilitiy to aim right in the way you described.

If you are already owning a modern mouse use its DPI-switching features for nicer handling, for my G9 allowes for 5! (not only 3) steps which I need for any game Ive played along my way of Onlinegaming(x/y-DPI:400/200;1000/800;1600/1400;2000/1800;3000/2800)

These effecs were noted worst in CS:S,Stalker,BF2 and UT3 and were also noted as "at least irritably if not having negative effect" when longrange-aiming in A2ACE or A2OA.

Maybe this is helpful or I am just guessing totally wrong ^^

Cya on the Battlefields

Check with some fast paced shooter to be absolutely sure

Edited by AntalopeAUT

edit: Just tested with Vanilla ArmA2.exe (latest version) and everything's fine there.

I hate quoting myself and highlighting stuff with bold letters .. :j:

Does your FPS have any affect on it? Or is it worse in CPU intensive areas? Sounds similar to my mouse input jittering I get when panning my view. Damn there are so many of these kinds of "stutter" problems!

How does the mouse smoothing slider affect it?

I say again, it doesn´t occur when i use the arma2.exe, only with arma2oa.exe this ill effect is bound to happen.

Knowing that the exact same bug was present in A1, and knowing that BI tends to rebuild bugs ... i´m almost 100% sure that it is just that. Nothing to do with my mouse, my FPS, Santa Claus, or anything else.

Maybe just try for yourself on said setup (A2OA) and then start suggesting.

edit:

How does the mouse smoothing slider affect it?

Good idea!

Mouse smoothing off - incremental aiming

Mouse smoothing on - fixed

Now i remember having disabled mouse smoothing for some reason (sloppy aiming when pulling the sights from left to right and vice versa), but seeing that having it on fixes a far worse problem than the one i wanted to avoid in the beginning i´ll just harden the f up and leave the darn mouse smoothing on.

So people, remember: Do not deactivate Mouse Smoothing!

Case closed.

Edited by Mr Burns

Unfortunate because I hate the way that mouse smoothing works in this game, but oh well.

Unfortunate because I hate the way that mouse smoothing works in this game, but oh well.

Exactly the same here. Too bad really, having a mouse smoothing slider makes little sense when disabling it only makes the problem worse.