Sign in to follow this  
Longinius

Need some help

Allright. I came across a small discussion on another forum that got me thinking. It was about the Desert Eagle .50 and the caliber of that weapon. One guy said it is not .50 caliber, but uses a type of ammo called .50 AE. Another guy said it IS .50 caliber.

Now, I never held a DE, I have never seen one in real life. I am sure there are people here that DO know something about it. So, is it or isn't it .50 cal. If not, why is it called .50 AE?

Hmm, I don`t know it exactly, but the .50 normally indicates the size of the bullet. A .50 is something around 11 up to 12mm broad. The AE might be a description of how the projectile is loaded or about how long it is...

Maybe Wobble knows something about that confused.gif

Just tell them:

"Who cares? If someone shoots you with a Desert eagle I doubt you'll be like 'I wonder if that bullet is a .50 or AE'"

Then buy them beer.

The Desert Eagle comes chambered in three standard cailbres: .357 magnum, .44 magnum and .50 Action Express (AE). this is the brand name of the round.

.50 Action Express is not to be confused with .50 Browning, used in the M2 machine gun and Barret sniper rifle.

(I believe .357 is the most common chambering, but in most movies which the gun appears it seems to be .50 )

What made the Desert Eagle revolutionary was it's ability to fire rounds designed for revolvers, a feat quite difficult for automatic pistols, due to the rim on revolver rounds.