killswitch

CBA: Community Base Addons for A2, OA and CO

Guess for some people an autodetection would be more comfy or at least loading CO (A2+OA) only with "@CBA_CO" and TOH+CO with "@CBA_TOHCO" ;)

Guess for some people an autodetection would be more comfy or at least loading CO (A2+OA) only with "@CBA_CO" and TOH+CO with "@CBA_TOHCO" ;)

That auto-detection exists for years now and is called Six Updater :) Sorry for sounding like a broken record.

Moved from the ACE Thread:

Sorry to say that SB but that is not a good solution. Owners of CO (wich is the majority of the Arma players) now need all three CBA Mods. It would be much better with a CBA_CO Folder.
A CBA_CO while technically possible, is not planned for now.

The new setup is the most flexible possible, supporting all game families and editions (A2/OA/TOH/future, CO/RearmedA2/RearmedOA/RearmedCO) incl the subtle and less subtle requirements.

From both a usage and a maintenance perspective.

I also do not see the problem, especially considering the tools available. (While SU brings IMO most comfortability with large mod-sets and dependencies (its all automated) especially for MP communities, and there are other launchers that make it easy as well).

In any case, CBA feedback please in the CBA thread or preferably the CBA Issue tracker.

Thanks for moving. Any chance that this idea will be picked up?

Thanks for moving. Any chance that this idea will be picked up?

NP, how do you mean picked-up? As responded there are no plans for now for given reasons.

But willing to think some more about it, but would like to see some more arguments first.

My first thought is that mixing content into a single folder, or any other mix, anyone can do themselves,

and redistribute freely either over casual downloads, SU, or other distribution tools.

The only thing of note is that one should always keep the CBA_UI_Helper.pbo from the CBA folder corresponding with the game exe file you are using.

So for CO, you must keep CBA_OA's cba_ui_helper pbo.

For TOH Rearmed A2/OA/CO, you must keep CBA_TOH's cba_ui_helper.pbo

Edited by Sickboy

Broken record playing: "Not everyone is using SU as dl or/and launcher...." - what's the real issue with "@CBA_CO" or "@CBA_TOHCO"? :)

Broken record playing: "Not everyone is using SU as dl or/and launcher...." - what's the real issue with "@CBA_CO" or "@CBA_TOHCO"? :)
Maintenance and flexibility as described. In any case updated my previous response with some more thoughts, incl options to mix the CBA modfolders as you please.

As to not using SU - there are many more launchers and options, and adding one or two more mod entries to a shortcut hasn't killed anyone to date as far as I know.

I have A2 CO. Should SU add the "extra" CBAs? Currently it only adds @CBA, and I get the error.

@CBA_A2;@CBA_OA = Black in SU.

Please advise.

EDIT: SU fails on the auto update. Update server down?

EDIT: And THERE SU updated and it automatically got the "extra" CBAs.

Edited by VirtualVikingX

I have A2 CO. Should SU add the "extra" CBAs? Currently it only adds @CBA, and I get the error.

Please update SU to the 2.9.5pre30 build and sync with the SU portal once upgraded.

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

EDIT: SU fails on the auto update. Update server down?
Should be sorted now, issue with one of the mirrors. Please keep SU issues to the SU thread though :D

If this important file is within the @CBA_ folder there should be no problem. Perhaps its possible to check/verify the correct cba_ui_helper.pbo version and notice/warn the player on startup? Or rename it accordingly eg "cba_A2_ui_helper.pbo", "cba_OA_ui_helper.pbo", "cba_CO_ui_helper.pbo", "cba_TOH_ui_helper.pbo", "cba_COTOH_ui_helper.pbo" so people can't overwrite them on accident? Just thinking about easiest drag&drop&play procedure without copy/paste file or clicky action for players who dl stuff from a website.....

I ask you again to please consider making and distributing a @CBA_CO folder for the sake of accessibility and usability. Not everyone is using SU. My Community for example uses custom addon compilations wich we distribute over Yoma. We also have a custom game launcher to make things easy for newcomers. Having to change everything because of the new CBA Management is not optimal.

I ask you again to please consider making and distributing a @CBA_CO folder for the sake of accessibility and usability. Not everyone is using SU. My Community for example uses custom addon compilations wich we distribute over Yoma. We also have a custom game launcher to make things easy for newcomers. Having to change everything because of the new CBA Management is not optimal.

Ahmen!

Please make it more user friendly! I don't want to load three folders... this case probably true for most users.

I understand that this kind of restructuring is easier to handle for you. But not to use for the most users. I need three month or more to explain my community how to handle the different cba folders. And now i have to tell him that they can all forgett and have to change all this... 99% of the cba-users play with CO and nobody (or 0.03%) with TOH - Please find another way!

regards

Edited by [TcB]-Psycho-

As said whatever we decide, you can mix the folders yourself as described in my previous posts.

As said by others, today SU gave me a CBA_A2 & CBA_OA, though I use a CO install, when starting the game with only CBA, I get errors about OA, if I add the ui_helper from CBA_OA to the CBA folder, then the game loads, but if I play on say lingor I get the error about CBA_A2 needing to be loaded, if not then disable A2 content.

So what exactly has messed this up, and what was wrong with simple old CBA for CO. I just want to play the game :(

You can play, by following the installation instructions or the merge instructions i've posted. It isn't rocket science, and people should chill out.

If you want to merge for CO, in this order: copy CBA_A2/* into CBA, copy CBA_OA/* into CBA, each time overwriting existing files when asked, and then only load CBA.

Lastly, there's always the option to (temporary) keep using the version you already used.

Edited by Sickboy

Thing is, it's making the end user responsible for fixing something that shouldn't have the issue in the first place, no? Anyway, I'll do as you said. Thanks for the reply.

No, end-users who follow installation instructions they are also following for 100's of other mods on a near daily basis, should experience no issues. Neither do SU users when updated and synced.

Please stop dramatizing. We know some people would like to see merged installations, we've provided options to do so, and in the meantime we will take things under consideration. Motivation and other reasons are explained well enough IMO, so if there are no actual arguments to be added, we'll evaluate it and get back on it.

Edited by Sickboy

Using a auto-updater often gives people the peace of mind that it wont mess anything up beyond what they read in the initial instructions when installed however many months/years ago, auto-installed for that matter. There is no drama, it's a simple cock-up IMO.

I'm not sure what you mean, if with auto-updater you mean Six Updater - then there's nothing for the user to do but make sure they have the latest SU version that comes down through auto-self-update, and run the usual Install/Update and Launch/Shortcut actions,

otherwise the updated readme assists with manual launching etc.

is this warning serious or can it be ignored ?

it shows up in the SU "status box" after having installed @CBA_OA & @CBA_A2 via SU

"20:00:35: Warning, duplicate addons have been detected in modfolders:

cba_ui_helper.pbo - @CBA_OA, @CBA_A2"

both files are not the same size and I'm using the recommended mod-order (@CBA;@CBA_A2;@CBA_OA)

(I'm playing A2+OA = CO)

In this case you can ignore it for now, will probably solve it by renaming the pbo's - since only the internal PboPrefix is of matter in case of mentioned CBA addons.

Otherwise, the warning should help make users aware of possible collisions that might cause problems (e.g older versions of a PBO overriding newer versions).

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/30388

Edited by Sickboy

The self updating auto updater only is as good as how often it auto updates itself.

It has problems, Everything does. I love SU. Could be streamlined but that's just my opinion.

The self updating auto updater only is as good as how often it auto updates itself.

It has problems, Everything does. I love SU. Could be streamlined but that's just my opinion.

Oooh it's coming alright :)

Current SU is only being serviced atm, while some improvements still occur as test-bed for the next generation Six Updater.

Check out this post for more info.

"First class UI / User Experience / Usability is paramount in the next generation of Six Updater"

Thank. God. It's so clunky, very confusing for first time users.

I am excited, I can not wait for the big update Sickboy. From what I read it will make things a lot more fluid, can't argue with that.

Just a question, but what would the load order for the three CBA folders be now? @CBA;@CBA_A2;@CBA_OA or what?