Sign in to follow this  
vitoal125

Red Hammer Alamo

I'm about to use the endmission cheat because this is getting so bad. I have repelled the first three waves of the attack, but at the end of the third wave, all of my men are dead. The fourth wave of M60s come and I can't do anything about them. If I try to use the bmp to fight them, I get killed. If I try to at4 them, they shoot me through the thick brush. I tried using the bmp to push the shilka in a good position to ambush them, but they seem to see it through the buildings somehow and don't come into the city. Am I going to have to restart and replace my ammo crates in a better position or is there some way to do this. All the stuff is in the field to the southeast and the ammocrates are by the bushes there. If I have to restart, I think I'm just gonna use the cheat cuz this one takes too long.

Hi,

I used my usual "use their own weapons against them" method. I completed this mission on my first try (yes, really) and was by myself. I usually don't need the other guys unless I'm in a large fire fight. Anyway..

I laid out the fences so the tanks could get in, get stuck, then with there limited AI driving ability not be able to get out.

When the first wave comes, it's a single M1A1. It usually comes down the street with the fountain, thats where my trap is.

Place a satchel charge a fair distance away.. enough to send a shockwave over the vehicle and injure the crew.

Shoot them then get in the tank, drive over and to the repair truck and get it fixed, drive over to the ammo truck and get it filled up.

Now you have a brand new M1A1 tank in your possession.

Take a position on the hill just south of the city and use the gunner position to act as a sniper on the puny M-60's that attack.

Same tactic works with the Uh-60's and M113's landing troops in the area.. gun 'em down with the machine gun.

That's pretty much it, you spend a lot of time waiting and setting up. I'd like to note that I moved the repair truck in between some houses and surrounded the openings with the P3 Civils (trucks) so a tank or sabetour could not easily reach or destroy it -- or me by accident. If you drive up to the civil you're still in reach of the repair truck and can repair after each wave.

The ammo truck is out of fuel and doesn't move.. I spotted and killed a special op who was placing a satchel charge under the vehicle just before I shot him down.

That should do it.

Hope it helps!

(Edited by Tylerb59 at 1:14 am on Jan. 4, 2002)

Actually, I restarted and finished it on first try biggrin.gif . All my prior experiences helped me set a better trap and also good ambush positions for my men as well as myself. I never saw any black ops though, if they were in the m113s then they got blown up with everyone else riding in them when they hit the mini-minefield placed right where I knew they were going to stop and unload. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (vitoal125 @ Jan. 05 2002,04:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Actually, I never saw any black ops though, if they were in the m113s then they got blown up with everyone else riding in them when they hit the mini-minefield placed right where I knew they were going to stop and unload. biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Those blackops come from the UH-60, my shilka soon dealt with em though.

i set up my fences along along the south side of the village and put a satchel charge by the main road into town from the south, used it to kill the abrams that arrives, the crew may bail so be prepared to shoot

i then put mines on the left side (when facing south) next to a telegraph pole which took out 2 m60's leaving one which was easily finished off with a AT4

i then got in the bmp and completely wasted all the m113's that arrived and the paratroopers (kill the law soldiers first which jump out of the m113's and use HEAT rounds)

the next part is v tricky, a last wave of about 4 or 5 m60's, i used the bmp to kill these by running away and creeping slowly towards them so i can just see there turret and them fire away at them, hope this helps

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this particular mission. I played this soo many times that beating all the waves, including the 8 M1A1 Abrams which descend upon Montignac at the end, proved very easy.

My tactics at the start is to assign all my team an AT4 rocket, and enter the mission. I then command all team to drop the AT4 rocket, and evacuate to a nearby forest. I then collect the rockets from the ground and place them in the Ural (not the Ural Repair). I then drive the Ural to the building just south west of the Montignac crossroad. I choose this building as it offers many windows from different vantagepoints for attack. I surround the building with the anti tank fences (this prevents the building from being destroyed by tanks driving into it). Once that is done, i place the 3 ammo boxes in the southern most room in the building, and i place the squad's AT4 rockets from earlier into the ammo boxes for use later. I then place all 9 satchel charges in and around the town square, again for later use. Then i proceed to mine the flank of the town square, and place 2 mines on the road just south of the town for the incoming M1A1 which approaches after you radio in. I then move the Ural repair to beside the building, and i use the Civil trucks to barricade the gaps between buildings, before hand grenading them to prevent them from being shunted by tanks. Then i lie in wait beside the crossroads and radio in. 

Once the 1st tank approaches, it runs over the two mines, disabling it, and the 3 crew evac from the tank. I gun them down, hop into the Ural repair and repair the tank, position it just west of the crossroad, lying in wait. I move the Repair truck just behind the tank for emergency repair. The second, third and fourth waves are easy, one sabot round to the M60 track will automatically disable it, forcing the crew to flee. Pick off the survivors with the tank's MG. Once you get word of 2 platoons of Abrams incoming, position your M1A1 just outside the door of the building you fenced, proceed upstairs and wait. Reload your AT4 launcher, and wait for the opportune moment to hit the Abrams on the barrel, one good shot will prevent them from using the cannon. If some of the tanks find themselves in the minefield and satchel charge traps, blow it. If you can somehow damage all barrels on the M1A1's, run downstairs and hop into your own Abrams, and pick off the defenseless tanks one by one. Remember not to drive over your own mines. Once the smoke clears, call your squad back and enter the landed Mi17 that is waiting for you by the eastern edge of town. 

This is my final mission statistics https://www.dropbox.com/s/ew79k06twh22e1h/0.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for reading. 

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Richard – it's really impressive you managed to defeat EVERY enemy in this mission !

I see you are an expert of OFP. 😉

The only thing that always irritated me about this mission was that no human commander would organize the assault on the village in this way.

Why would you send wave after wave of weaker tanks (or a single Abrams) to the slaughter if you have 8 x Abrams waiting on the sidelines ??

Whenever I do singleplayer missions in Arma games, I try to make the "AI commander" act in a way that would make sense to a human commander, to strengthen the immersion.

Still, I enjoyed the "defence building" mechanics of this mission so it is definitely one of the most memorable missions of the so-called official campaigns.